PDA

View Full Version : Hair styles for just past shoulder?

whiteisle
April 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
My mom's hair is just past her shoulders, perhaps 4" from the top of her shoulders but not quite to APL. I'm trying to enlighten her to new styles other than pulling it through a scrunchie 1 and 1/2 times. :)

So far she likes the low pony that you pull back through the top behind the elastic (don't know if that makes sense - "they" use to sell a little plastic tool to accomplish this. It looked like a loop with a stick.)

I did a low rope braid on her but she wanted to somehow flip it back up and secure it. :confused:

I did a Dutch braid (very quickly) and she liked it despite it wasn't too tight. And of course, there is the French braid.

But I'm at a loss for what else I can do with her hair at her length. Granted I'm not very experienced working with longer hair. She really doesn't have enough to do buns other than the standard wrap-it-around-and-secure-it-type.

Any ideas? Especially with instructions? :)

wackyredtangles
April 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM
You could do a bun with some other pieces around the front tied, braided, rope braided, and/or twisted to add some different texture.

I do this with my hair, and its longer, but one great gizmo is the whirlygig thing. That's not quite the right name, but its close. its a piece of rubber, or sometimes stiff fabric, with a slit in the middle, and something to secure the ends. You put the hair through the slit, roll, and clip. There's lots of stuff you can do with it, but usually I just make a gibson looking thing, with the front parts of my hair rolled or twisted.

Her hair is probably long enough for a sock bun, a gibson tuck, any sort of bun with a scarf wrapped around it.

AngelInDisguise
April 13th, 2009, 02:07 AM
You might find some useful ideas in this thread, I hope: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16198