PDA

View Full Version : Colored hair spray ideas for children?

GlennaGirl
April 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hey, all! My middle son's school is having a carnival at the end of the month to drum up funds. All the "booths" are class parent-made.

Our two class parents decided on colored hair spray for children. I was wondering how we should go about putting this on children. Stripes? Hold out a piece of hair and spray it on?

Or maybe cut shapes out of paper and spray inside the shapes so there's a star or whatever on the child's head?

Also, if anyone has worked in hairdressing, what is that fluid that hairdressers keep their fresh combs in to keep them sterile? Is it just straight alcohol? Since this will be a whole bunch of strangers, I want to keep things clean.

Here's the type of spray I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220261985446

Flynn
April 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I've done this for school fetes before (as an ex-student for my own primary school, and as a senior student in high school,) and we always just did it freehand. A stencil might work, but you'll get a lot of bleeding at the edges of any larger sencils.

Big, broad tiger stripes are pretty easy, as are polka-dots on a coloured background. Freehanding a giant star on the back of a child's head, aprticularly if they have short hair is also pretty simple. We never touched the kids hair with combs or hands; we just spreayed straight on to whatever they brought *laughs*. I've seen it other times when they have combined crazy styles and colours, spiking the hair up with gel, but it never seem to work out so well, probably because they are using really cheap gel.

There's one important thing to keep in mind -- which you're probably thought of, but just in case -- make sure you keep it off their faces and out of their eyes. I always did this for the younger ones by shielding their forehead and eyes with my hand placed at their hairline. The older ones I told to do it themselves.

Flynn
April 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry, should have proof-read before posting. I'm sure you can work out what I was saying -.-;;;

Natalia
April 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM
My newphews had it done at their school too but i wasnt there to see how they did it. As for disinfecting if you decide to use combs i think it is called barbacide. If your in the US you can check sallybeauty.com for it i think its about 5 dollors a gallon.

carloota
April 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Also, if anyone has worked in hairdressing, what is that fluid that hairdressers keep their fresh combs in to keep them sterile? Is it just straight alcohol? Since this will be a whole bunch of strangers, I want to keep things clean.

The fluid is called "barbicide". I'm sure you can get it at Sally Beauty Supply. :)

Omens
April 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I'm going to warn you: It's messy! I've used spray ons before, and the whole 'hold it ten inches from the hair' thing is a bit of a scary thought. To get a bright color, I remember having to put it close to my hair---really close (also so I wouldn't get it all over my face...), though it might depend on the brand and how bright the color is. It's basically just colored hair spray.

Stripes would probably be easiest, I would imagine. I don't know how easy it would be to make shapes. Maybe you could try it out on one of your kids beforehand? Like Flynn said, polka dots. It seems like doing more basic stuff would probably turn out better.

My suggestion would be to try it out on your kids first or even yourself! Temporary crazy-colored hair can be really fun, particularly since it washes out.

GlennaGirl
April 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm definitely going to experiment a little. It sounds like stripes are probably the way to go.

Heavenly Locks
April 12th, 2009, 02:27 AM
You could do a colored braid for long hair :)

funnybunny668
April 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM
We used it in high school to spray on blue stripes before a football game (our colors were blue & white). I think stripes would be alot easier than patterns.