PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Hair Too Much?

Sha-na-na
April 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Does anyone ever worry about breakage from playing with their hair too much? :confused:

I do. I style my hair at least twice a day. I am obsessed. I almost need help.

Copasetic
April 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I was pulling hair through my fingers as I read your question. I am obsessed too! I am always fixing my hair. I am not too concerned with damage from playing with it though because I try to be gentle when I fix it.

maskedrose
April 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Sometimes. At my current length I'm struggling to find styles that hold, so some days I end up putting it up and taking it down multiple times. My ends are pretty damaged, so every time I comb it between stylings I end up having to work through tangles, which cause splits, breakage, etc. I'll be happy when this stage is over!

firenze
April 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have been wanting to ask this question but still feel timid because I'm new.

I play with my hair a lot, it has never been this long before so I just cant get over all the different things I'm starting to be able to do with it. And now that I started COing the last couple of days it feels so nice that I just want to keep running my fingers through it. I'm careful with it so I don't think I'm causing any damage.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

HairColoredHair
April 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Yes.

I try to put my hair up and forget about it.

If I mess with it constantly it tangles/drys out more.

Seraphina
April 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yes.I used to be fiddling with it all the time,even when it was in a braid.Now I just wear it in a sturdy bun most of the time so that I can't fiddle too much.

Carolyn
April 11th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I think it's fine to enjoy playing with your hair some of the time. Try to be as gentle as possible. Don't wear rings and bracelets that will catch. Do it as little as possible. Wear your hair up as much as you can to avoid temptation. But why not play with it some if that's something you like to do. We are growing this hair for our enjoyment so don't feel bad about indulging a little.

eyesofsummer
April 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I fiddle with mine way too much! I always rake my fingers through the last few inches of a lock of hair, and I'm pretty sure it is damaging. I think playing with your hair by styling isn't something you should worry about too much; as long as some of the styles are protective, it should be good for your hair, in the long run.

Shimmy
April 11th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I play with mine all the time, that's why I grew it long.

Sha-na-na
April 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I play with mine all the time, that's why I grew it long.

Here, here! *bangs cup* I agree. Thanks!

AprilElf
April 11th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I worry about damage when combing out my hair after playing around with a new style, or if I've have had it up in something more intricate than usual. Sometimes I just get impatient and aren't as careful with my detangling as I should. I can get a bit rough and looking at the wads of hair collected from my comb and the floor can be worrying! :p

On a normal day I'll put my hair up once, and that's it. I think when I first joined LHC I was playing with it a lot more since I was on a very steep learning curve style-wise. Maybe that's what you're going through, Sha-na-na? ;)

I agree with Carolyn - that it's fine to enjoy playing with our hair. That's one of the perks of having long hair!
I still need to learn to be more careful, though ... heh, heh. :rolleyes:

Omens
April 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I really don't think twice a day is all that bad. As long as it still looks as good as it did before, then you probably aren't hurting it, just enjoying it.

I think it depends on the hair too. If it's tangley/frizzy sort of hair, usually it'll knot more when it's toyed with (though there certainly are exceptions).

misspriss
April 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I play with mine all the time. I don't feel any damage, my ends are in relatively great shape (IMO). It's totally soft and silky and I love playing with it, it's my favorite pastime in Management class....

BranwenWolf
April 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I find mine is in better shape the less I fiddle with it. My hair doesn't seem to react to cinnamon buns with hairsticks much, but I try to avoid much past braids and buns. I have thick, somewhat coarse hair that is prone to knots.