PDA

View Full Version : Are these split ends?

LovingLife
April 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Ok thier little black balls near the end of the hair and I trim them off like split ends but heres the thing. I only see them on curly heads, even a friend who really damages her hair dosen'r have them, are they splits? :eek:

HairColoredHair
April 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
That depends. Could they be pixie knots (fairy knots, many names) where one hair has knotted into a tight little ball?

LovingLife
April 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Well maybe... But I always find that I can't untangle them. :(:confused:

marajade
April 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM

I get those a lot. I have to be careful when detangling as these seem to happen if I try to rip through my hair with a comb too fast (i.e. no conditioner or detangling spray). I snip them off if I have to. :rolleyes:You don't want that hair catching on others and causing problems.

SammieEve
April 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Yes, I get these a lot also. Little pixie knots because my hair is so curly it curls in on itself. Other than cutting them out, I can't really tell you what else to do with them. My hair type is like yours (3c/4a) and I've been trying to decrease the number of pixie knots I get by being careful when I brush out my hair (only wet with conditioner) by not pulling the hair out to much and having it snap (curl) back into position to quickly. Not sure if it is really working or not though. :shrug:

spidermom
April 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Split ends often look like this Y. Somtimes each arm of the Y is also split. Or sometimes a single hair can be split so bad that it looks like a feather. I find that the hairs with the most damage are lighter at the end than my undamaged hairs. Sometimes I will see what looks like a striped hair, but when I bend it, I find that there are tiny splits up and down the shaft (not stripes).

HairColoredHair
April 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM

I can't untangle mine either. And even when I can, the hair has been damaged, kinked/broken to hold that tight, tight little knot.

I just snip them out before they cause more trouble.

littlemiss
April 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
That depends. Could they be pixie knots (fairy knots, many names) where one hair has knotted into a tight little ball?

Pixie knots or Fairy knots that so cute!! :laugh:

LovingLife
April 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM
:( Theres no way to untangle them?:(

manderly
April 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Nope, they're too small and too tight. Plus the hair will be damaged at the spot it knotted.

Just snip them off as you find them, then S&D them out whenever you run into one to prevent further tangling :)

LovingLife
April 18th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks so much!

Rain76
April 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
This must be the problem I am having with the hair @ the nape of my neck. No matter how I wear it, it ALWAYS kinks up & it is extremely difficult to get the knots out. It also seems to be shorter than the rest of my hair, so I know a lot of it has broken off & is split. I don't do S&D, b/c if I were to cut it, it would be even shorter than my regular length, and it would look weird when I put it up (I am right @ APL now).