PDA

View Full Version : Soft water question...

Gypsygirl
April 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM
We'll spend a couple of weeks abroad this summer and the water is so soft where we are going... That's kind of good for both hair and skin, of course, but it also makes my hair so...flat! It gets all stringy and has no body at all. It also seems to get dirty so much faster. Is there anything you can do about that? :)

earthdancer
April 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Are you sure it's the water and not the humidity? Soft water makes my hair absolutely glow and come alive, not go flat. However, humidity makes it go flat and stringy as you describe. I was in Paris last April and the whole time my hair looked like someone ironed it from the roots down, and it just hung in strings. The photos make me cringe.

enfys
April 11th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I agree with earthdancer. Soft water is my favourite thing in the world. If I could pipe the water ffom Cornwall to my house I would!

Gypsygirl
April 12th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hmmm... I don't know... I don't think it's humidity because Germany (which is where we're going) has a pleasant climate. Also, humidity gives me more of a frizz problem and a lot of "poof" (which I don't like, either :p ).
It must be something about the water there... Somehow I can't seem to get all of the shampoo out or something like that.

Oh well... I'd better get going because dh is getting ready to kill me... ;) We should have left the house half an hour ago.
Have a happy holiday!

Gothic Lolita
April 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Maybe you won't read this in time, but for me this seems more like hard water. At least, that's how my hair behaves when I wash with hard water. When I'm at my BF's my hair is less tangly and usually nicer in general and his water is softer than mine!

And: Nice holiday in Germany! You could drop by :)

earthdancer
April 12th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Maybe you won't read this in time, but for me this seems more like hard water. At least, that's how my hair behaves when I wash with hard water.

Yes, that's exactly how mine behaves with extremely hard water. I live in an area with hard water, and without a water softener, my hair looks terrible: lank, limp, flat, and dull. The harder the water, the worse my hair looks. Let's not even talk about what it does to my skin!

missmanytoes
April 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Remember to use way less shampoo in soft water than in hard water! My water is pretty soft and I only use about a quarter sized dollop in the palm of my hand to wash my scalp and length with. I think you captured it exactly - you're not rinsing all the shampoo out. Have a nice trip!!

Gypsygirl
April 13th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Gothic Lolita, we're not leaving for Germany until the end of June... We went to see friends and family yesterday, and it was kind of a long drive. Dh gets impatient easily... :p I said "happy holiday" because of Passover/Easter/Ostara and so on.
We'll be in Germany all through July and maybe even longer, and we're going to stay in a couple of places, so we might get pretty close to where you are... So- where exactly are you? ;) Just kiddin.

About hard water- my skin absolutely hates hard water, but it loves the water over there. I don't even need to use lotion every day. So that can't be it, right? I'm not 100% sure, though.

Missmanytoes, using less shampoo might be the solution...thanks! Do you think diluting my shampoo might help?

Thanks so much ladies- I love this community. :)