PDA

View Full Version : Black Sesame Seed

SleepySin
April 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Coming from a Chinese household, my mother had always told me when I was little that eating black sesame helps keep your hair black. I thought it was one of those folklore stories because well, black sesame and black hair. But I figured it couldn't hurt to do some research on it to see if it held any truth.

I haven't come across any threads about this in the community so I thought it would be a good idea to bring this up seeing that there can be some great potential here.

I did a quick search on Google and aside from helping your hair retain its color longer, it's also been said to help with hair loss because of its high linoleic acid content. It has 6 times more calcium content than cow's milk, too.

Seeing that we always have some type of black sesame powder in the house, I'm gonna go prepare some for a hair-healthy snack while I wait for your responses! :p

One more note before I run off, does anyone have the book 'Tao Beauty' by Helen Lee? It's suppose to include a recipe with black sesame in it - amongst other Asian beauty tips.

ratgirldjh
April 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Wow - this is really neat! I love sesame seeds. I especially love to crush them slightly with sea salt and sprinkle them on foods - YUM!

Oh - the powder is great for skin exfoliation!

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I recently discovered a snack made from black sesame seeds and it was delicious......so this thread is really good timing, i've been wanting to find more information about them and ideas for adding them to food.
This article might be of interest http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip240.htm

enfys
April 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Ooh I'll be keeping an eye on this to see if anyone knows more about it.

I wonder if it could make darkish hair darker too? What does it taste like? I as going to say I've only seen it on bread rolls, then I remembered they were poppy seeds haha.

I like this food-on-hair game.