PDA

View Full Version : Search and Destroy

Kina
April 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM
so, can anyone explain the mechanics?

I understand sort of just searching for any split ends, but not quite sure how long it should take, or how does one search the back of one's head?

Mine is long enough to pull around to the front, but what about if you have shorter hairs that have broken?

Also, how often should you do it?

Sorry if these are repetitive and or basic and thanks for any help. :-)

Hay22
April 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I just do it for a couple of minutes every few days with a pair of sharp scissors (mine are sewing scissors, but I know others have hair scissors). I'll either do it under my bright bathroom light or go out on my balcony. I've never really thought about the short hairs in the back - most damage for me is mechanical damage in my front layers, especially on my left side, where my hair gets trapped under my purse!

Kina
April 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Sounds easier than I thought it was! I do tend to complicate things a bit, I guess. Thanks!

myotislucifugus
April 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's not complicated, but try not to get caught up in getting EVERY split end. Trust that eventually you'll get them all. Otherwise, hours can disappear without your noticing them.

Teacherbear
April 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Do it as long as you wish/can. Some people do a few minutes per day/week/month/year. Others never do it. Some people started doing it but they became obsessive and compulsive about it so they don't do it any more.

I only S&D before a big event. If I do it for an hour or so (once every year or two! ;) ), it makes a huge difference in the handling of my hair. It doesn't tangle up as badly.

Some people are fortunate enough to have someone who is willing to S&D their hair. I'm not so fortunate.

Pierre
April 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I search the back of my head by feel. Not all the rough ends are split, but many are.

spidermom
April 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM
When you're stuck with a sprained ankle and an ice pack is an especially good time to get a bright light against a dark background (or vice versa) and mindlessly snip away. I find as I comb my hair and look at it, the most damaged bits are obvious. Anything not obvious can be left alone.