PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Protein Treatment?

EtherealJane
April 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I did a quick forum search and didn't find what I was looking for, exactly.

Basically, I'm wondering what you all do for protein treatments, if anything. I have made a conscious effort to take care of my ends and really moisturize them, and seemed to help a lot for awhile, and now they're feeling icky again. I've never done anything special protein wise to my hair, and I'm thinking maybe I should try it.

But first of all, how much protein is good/bad? I've made some Fox's shea butter conditioning cream for the ends, and they seem to like it. But who knows, maybe over time it's been too much protein for the ends? How do you tell?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. :D

Sherri
April 11th, 2009, 08:03 AM
After I do a protein treatment on my hair it always feels crunchy but I learned that if I do a deep moisture treatment right after it makes it alot softer. I have been using Redkin CAT on my hair at the moment. I think there are some recipes on here somewhere for homemade treatments.

Arctic
April 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
First of all, this is the best artcicle I have yet seen about hair and moisture/protein balance:
click (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69)

Secondly, I recently did a yogurt mask (natural yougurt, moisturing conditioner, aloe vera gel mixed together, left on for couple hours, used moisturizing conditioner afterwards) and it was really nice. Hair was really smooth and shiny, if a littly dry.

wissles
April 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I haven't tried my new products yet but I ordered Redken extreme schampoo (But I don't think I'll use it though..), conditioner and anti-snap. I don't really think my hair can handle too much protein, it's already slightly dry, but it is a bit damaged from a LOT of dye, bleech, flat ironing, highlights.. you name it. But I'm trying to cut off the damage piece by peace. Uh, whatever. Anyway, I think you should try something from Redken extreme. And always follow up with a moisturizer, maybe Redken all soft heavy cream to balance everything!

Elphie
April 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I don't use any specific protein treatments. There are small amounts of protein in my shampoos (palmers, suave coconut) and from what I can tell (based upon that article posted earlier) I don't need any more than that.

Arctic
April 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
BTW, build-up can also make ends feel bad, have you tried clarifying?

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Usually the protein you get from eggs, mayo or anything not specialized for hair will be too big to penetrate the hair shafts. If you want an actual protein treatment, you'll have to find a good commercial product (with or without cones depends on your preference) that contains fragmented (or hydrolized) protein.
I'll quote Spidermom on this one:

It's pretty close to idiot proof - such ingredients usually contain the word PROTEIN, as in wheat protein, soy protein, silk protein. Also look out for the word "hydrolyzed." Also "milk" or "egg".
HTH :flower:

MommaRalph
April 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I like this article too: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=22392

EtherealJane
April 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Thank you all for the helpful ideas/links. After doing some reading, I'm now wondering if I'm suffering from some protein build up? I discovered that all the conditioners I have contain some form of protein except for one. So what I'm thinking now is that I'll clarify by adding a smidge of baking soda to my dairy whip, and then try an SMT with the one conditioner I have w/out protein. Hopefully that will make my hair & ends feel better.

Part of it, I'm sure, has to do with the fact that these ends are damaged anyway. I still have long layers in my hair that I'm trying to grow out. As a result, though my hair was trimmed in November of 08, my layers haven't been trimmed in I don't know how long. I think they may just need a trim :(