PDA

View Full Version : COers, what do you use to clarify?

steph in tx
April 10th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I'm finding I love COing more than anything else I've tried. Early on I needed to clarify more often, but I think I'm getting to the point where I may only need it every 1 or even 2 weeks. My problem is that my shampoo of choice is CV bars and I don't know if that is "clarifying" in the way that my hair will need. So, I'm curious what others are using for clarifying. Please post and be specific as to what you use. All information will be helpful, I am sure. Thanks!

Peter
April 10th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Most of the time I use an SLS-free shampoo. Right now it's Down Under Naturals something-or-other, because it's all I could find at my local pharmacy. Very occasionally I'll slather my hair in oil then use SLS shampoo down the entire length.

wimsey
April 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Tresseme Vitamin C Deep Cleaning Shampoo. Well, it's something like that...

kwaniesiam
April 11th, 2009, 12:45 AM
When I was CO, I did a baking soda wash followed by an ACV rinse. So, I voted cheese :cheese:

Sometimes if I were lazy I used Suave clarifying shampoo heavily diluted.

Heavenly Locks
April 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM
So far with CO I haven't needed to clarify. (I tried switching back to CWC with an SLS poo but my hair and scalp freaked out!)

Qamar
April 11th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I use vinegar rinse to clarify so I also voted cheese.

I did just order some dairly whip though, so I'll probably use that to clarify once every two weeks or so. The rest of the time CO is working wonders for me.

Deborah
April 11th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Once very couple or few months I add a tablespoon or so of baking soda into the conditioner, then wash with that. I honestly don't know if my hair needs clarifying or not. I don't ever use styling products or shampoo. I just give it a shot once in a while on the 'who knows, maybe it works' theory.

morguebabe
April 11th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I don't clarify it makes my color run out.

Carolyn
April 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I use a commercial shampoo made for clarifying. I clarify when my ends get tangly or if I think I have build up. I have several brands of clarifying shampoos on hand. Phillip B, Rusk, and Suave are the ones I can think of right now without going to look. I do not like to clarify with baking soda. I think it's harsh and drying. Vinegar does not clarify off old build up. I'll use a SLS shampoo now and then but it doesn't do what I think of as a real clarifying. However it can get rid of some gunkiness. After I've used a clarifying shampoo I always do a nice rich moisturizing conditioning. I think of it as putting the moisture back in that the clarifying shampoo took out. If you use cone conditioners or cone leave ins you may need to clarify more often. Think of using a clarifying shampoo as a nice fresh start for the hair.

Rohele
April 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
About once a month or so I use Neutrogena clarifying shampoo. I follow that with a quick CO wash and use second heavier conditioner on the ends (my usual CO routine). The Neutrogena shampoo seems fairly gentle - I haven't noticed any extra dryness afterwards - but I detest the smell (really detergent-y).

Buddaphlyy
April 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I use Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. It's actually ALS based, even though a lot of people think it's SLS based. But trust, there is a difference between the two.

GlassEyes
April 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I use a non-SLS shampoo.

However, I'll note that it's still drying to my hair and I'm looking for a replacement.

Adrienne
April 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I usually Just Co-Wash. I MIGHT Twice a month use shampoo. I consider that my clarafying.

Sometimes I actually use a Clarfying shampoo. my fave is VO5 Vanilla Mint. but usually I just use whatever shampoo I feel like, at that time

Shiro
April 12th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Hi

I usually use natural shampoo, without SLS.
do you know about "Léa Nature" ?

It's a french brand. These are high quality products
http://www.leanatureboutique.com/beaut-rub-151-shampooing-soin-cheveux-cassants-prd-13476.html

It's the shampoo that I use.

karli
April 12th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I don`t clarify, unless an occasional eggwash counts. But that`s usually only when i`ve overoiled my hair.

Elphie
April 12th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I don't CO full time, but I use Suave to clarify about once every 4-6 weeks.

zen_oven
April 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I very VERY rarely clarify. I don't generally find that I need to, but on the occasions that I have I use an SLS shampoo, usually one of the VO5s or Suaves.

nayver
April 13th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I'm starting COing so I haven't had the need to clarify yet. If I need it some time I would clarify with an ACV rinse. Nothing else. So I voted "I don't clarify".

JamieLeigh
April 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
So far I'm doing well with Suave Clarifying poo. If I change my routine again, or find something else that I like better, you guys will be the first to know! ;)

LadyDi
April 23rd, 2009, 04:03 PM
I also use Suave Daily Clarifying. I don't know why, but it seems less drying to me than all the non sulfate shampoos I've tried.