PDA

View Full Version : finding my hair texture

michael
April 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Anybody have tips on figuring out hair texture? I was reading an article about hair types, but I can't figure out my texture. I have wavy hair, so it's either fine, medium, or coarse, based on the diameter of the individual hairs, but i have nothing to compare with and I can't really tell anything from the pictures of celebrities with a specific hair texture.

I know this: it's a little thinner than my coarsest body hair. Apparently it's fine if it's prone to flyaways, and medium or coarse if it's prone to frizziness. i looked up flyaway hair on google image search and it looks exactly like frizz to me. what's the difference?

Flaxen
April 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
This is from the hair typing guide in the list of VITs, and it might help. :smile:

F - Fine
Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Fine hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

M - Medium
Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Medium hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

C - Coarse
Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian or native American descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Coarse hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it.

michael
April 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM
when it says a strand, that means a group of hairs, not a singular hair, right?

Flaxen
April 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
when it says a strand, that means a group of hairs, not a singular hair, right?
Nope, it means a single hair. :smile:

Honey39
April 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I reckon if you can't tell, you're probably a medium! Fine haired people - the hairs are very very thin (although they can have loads of it!).