PDA

View Full Version : those beautiful, beautiful braids

Trinka
April 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I often see African-American women with the most beautiful braided hairstyles made with little tiny braids.

I'd love to try having this done to my hair, but it's stick straight. I wonder if it would work with straight hair, or do you need strong curl to make the braids stay when they're so tiny?

And the question I should probably focus on ... is doing this bad for your hair?

I've been SO tempted every time I see a salon that advertises braiding, but I wasn't sure if it would work, how long a person's hair would need to be, etc. (I also have not the vaguest idea what it would cost.)

I'd appreciate insights, recommendations ...and pictures ... if anyone has had it done!

Flynn
April 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I can only comment on the "bad for you" part: wearing tight braids (and dreads, for that matter) for too long can cause your hairline to recede.

Trinka
April 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I can only comment on the "bad for you" part: wearing tight braids (and dreads, for that matter) for too long can cause your hairline to recede.

That is definitely an important fact to know. Thank you. I'm rather fond of my hairline being where it is!

Flynn
April 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
That is definitely an important fact to know. Thank you. I'm rather fond of my hairline being where it is!

Yeah, hahaha. I think a lot of African women can get away with that, though. Caucasians, unfortunately, not as much, and I'm sure the regrowth (when and if it happens) is less annoying if it comes in as tight curls, rather than caucasian frizzy wispy bits XD

Not to discourage you from giving it a go, for a bit. It's usually only a problem when they're too tight or worn for too long.

Of course, that then begs the question: how do you actually undo those ultra-fine braids?

camirra555
April 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I think you should definitely go for it. When you see those long braids on a black woman most of the time they are actually extensions. The extensions are usually synthetic hair that is straight or wavy so I doubt it would be a problem getting it to stay in your straight hair. I had the braid extensions done a few times in highschool

Ash
April 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have done this before and I usually leave them in for about a week or so since my scalp gets too itchy otherwise. I would always start with damp hair, it makes it easier. I used beeswax once to help the hairs stick together better but knowing what I know now, I think a good amount of oil would do the same. I would always make sure to not pull too tightly as well. The part I am not fond of is using rubber bands to secure the ends since they can cause breakage. I think the last time I did this (about 6 years ago) it took at least 2 hours to do my whole head.
Getting them out took less time than putting them in. I removed the rubber band and then took the tail of a tail comb and poked it in the braid holes starting from the bottom and worked my way up and combed out the braids. I would then immediately wash my hair because the great poof just isn't my style. :)
I have always done just plain braids myself, but I did go to a salon to get cornrowed extensions done once. That was not really an experience I care to repeat though.
I think if you are careful and don't leave them in too long, maybe a couple of weeks or so they shouldn't be a problem.

Dachsdragon
April 10th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I have had the braids done on hair that was shorter than shoulder length and they put long artificial hair in with mine to make it really long, it was down to my tailbone when they had finished. I had no problems undoing the braids about six weeks later when they had grown out from my head too much. You can different colours to braided into your hair and you can still wash your hair and everything if you want to.
I really liked it and the only reason I didn’t keep doing it was because it was expensive, but it was a fantastic way to get my hair to grow longer, the original reason I had it done was because I had a very bad person cut my hair too short.
I would recommend if you choose to do it, you get a professional to do it for you from an African hairdresser, who do braiding all the time and are experts at it.

ilovelonghair
April 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I've once put just one in to see how it feels (with synthetic hair) and it hurted so much that I can't imagine how people can have a head full!

Dachsdragon
April 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry I forgot to add it doesn’t matter if you have straight or curly hair, they can still braid it.

Pierre
April 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't get it done on myself. My hair has just enough curl to stay in two Dutch braids for a few days. If I had 3c I could probably keep 5-7 braids no problem.