PDA

View Full Version : Cherrylola treatment – yogurt/baking soda/amino acids

SammieEve
April 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I did a search and I didn’t think this recipe was posted anywhere here yet... My apologies if it is. So I was looking through NaturallyCurly the other day and ran across a recipe the lady who posted it called it a "Magic Frizz Reducer" (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=71448). So of course I had to try it, since I just so happened to have all the ingredients laying around the house... :) The recipe called for:
2 parts yogurt
1/2 part baking soda
1/2 part amino acids

Of course by the time I tried it the next day I didn’t exactly remember the measurements and I was too eager to look it up again so I used:
1 cup yogurt
2 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp amino acids

(If you do try this, mix it in a larger bowl. 1 cup yogurt + 2 tbsp baking soda foamed to = 2 cups of mixture!)

I left the mixture on my head for half an hour (under a shower cap and towel to catch anything the dripped). The mixture kind of smells like coffee ice cream, but after smelling it for half an hour I was VERY tired of smelling like some kind of dessert. I rinsed the mixture out and CO washed with VO5 to get rid of the smell, then added some Pantene so I could finger comb and left it like that.

Now my usual routine is to use a Denman to comb my curls out (while the Pantene is still in) to define my curls. CherryLola (http://www.cherrylola.com/?p=442) who posted it has 3c/4a hair (her un-handled texture pic looks exactly like my hair). So I wanted to see how much it really worked, so I skipped the brushing step.

Afterwards, all I could say is :agape:. I really wished I took a picture! My curls were soft, shiny, and so well-defined I wouldn’t have believed it was my hair if it wasn’t attached.

Now my question to all the wonderful people here who know more about science than I ever will, :flower: what exactly in this is working? The amino acids? Because I’ve tried yogurt in many mixtures and while my hair looked nice after, it was really a dry, tangled mess. I’ve used baking soda before to clarify and it left my hair as dry and tangled as the SLS shampoo I was trying to escape from by using the baking soda. And as a general rule any conditioner with lots of protein makes my hair very tangly.

Maybe this only worked because I hadn’t used any protein for a while? Do you think using this often (like once a week) will lead to too much protein?

s_tresses
April 10th, 2009, 02:11 PM
What do you mean by adding amino acids? Anything that has protein in it, like eggs?

To answer your question I believe that protein does work very well for curlies.

manderly
April 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, can you explain amino acids?

SammieEve
April 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Yes, can you explain amino acids?

Just the amino acids you eat. Specifically, Bragg's Amino Acids (http://www.bragg.com/products/la.html). Which is basically used as a replacement for Tarmari and Soy Sauce.

SammieEve
April 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
What do you mean by adding amino acids? Anything that has protein in it, like eggs?

To answer your question I believe that protein does work very well for curlies.

I know. I've never had any luck with any type of protein treatment before. I've used coconut milk, eggs, plain yogurt, conditioners with protein and they've all left my hair feeling like straw no matter how much regular moisturizing conditioner I've put on after.

Heidi_234
April 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM
That post she linked to (http://www.cherrylola.com/?p=442) explains about the 'amino acids'.
Sounds like the amino acids do a great job. I'd personally leave the baking soda out (I don't like to play with the pH around my hair, one of the reason I'm probably going to reduce/quit the poo bars).

ETA: you beat me at it :p

manderly
April 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Very interesting. I wonder how this works for wurlies?

ZaBasDa
April 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Might there be a product one could use instead of that particular bottle of amino acids, since I have just never seen it around here.

ktani
April 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
That post she linked to (http://www.cherrylola.com/?p=442) explains about the 'amino acids'.
Sounds like the amino acids do a great job. I'd personally leave the baking soda out (I don't like to play with the pH around my hair, one of the reason I'm probably going to reduce/quit the poo bars).

ETA: you beat me at it :p

The acidity of the yogurt would offset the alkalinity of the baking soda but I would only use thoroughly dissolved baking soda, otherwise it can be gritty.

ktani
April 10th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I had never heard of this either. Bragg Liquid Aminos (http://www.bragg.com/products/la.html)

manderly
April 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Would soy sauce do the same thing?

ktani
April 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM

I would say yes, based on this (http://www.bragg.com/products/laFAQ.html#la_faq1a) but there are differences, although for this purpose not enough to be a problem, IMO.

Flaxen
April 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Yes, but get the reduced sodium soy.

ktani
April 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Yes, but get the reduced sodium soy.

I agree. That would be preferable for hair. Soy sauce can be diluted though.

ETA: From the sodium content of soy sauce (http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-soy%20sauce000000000000000000000.html), definitely get the salt reduced soy, lol. Click on each one for the nutrition facts and sodium content.

manderly
April 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have a gallon of soy sauce in my pantry :)

I'll give it a try this weekend. I wonder what it does for non super curlies?

Roseate
April 10th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Another curious wurly here! Bragg's liquid aminos are sold everywhere here, but I have soy on hand, so maybe I'll give that a try first. An Easter afternoon treatment may be in the cards.

Heidi_234
April 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The acidity of the yogurt would offset the alkalinity of the baking soda but I would only use thoroughly dissolved baking soda, otherwise it can be gritty.
The OP said that the two reacted when mixed. I don't like when things chemically react, I don't know what substances are created in the process or what their toxicity is. And I wouldn't slather it all over my hair like that. The writer of the blog wrote she added the baking soda to open up the cuticle. If the yogurt offsets the pH anyway, there vary little use to it in the mix. Just my :twocents:.

ktani
April 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM
The OP said that the two reacted when mixed. I don't like when things chemically react, I don't know what substances are created in the process or what their toxicity is. And I wouldn't slather it all over my hair like that. The writer of the blog wrote she added the baking soda to open up the cuticle. If the yogurt offsets the pH anyway, there vary little use to it in the mix. Just my :twocents:.

I understand how you feel about it. I just think that the reaction yu mention is harmless and not toxic. Any time you mix things together, you get a reaction, just not necessarily a dramatic one.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I understand how you feel about it. I just think that the reaction yu mention is harmless and not toxic. Any time you mix things together, you get a reaction, just not necessarily a dramatic one.
Of course, but we don't know, and baking soda is rather needless there. I've read enough reports of how stop using alkaline cleanser improved their hair condition, even though they very following with ACV rinses and restoring the pH back to acid and so on. I wouldn't have mix it in for my use, but that's my opinion, I just wanted to voice it in case other people didn't think of that.

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Of course, but we don't know, and baking soda is rather needless there. I've read enough reports of how stop using alkaline cleanser improved their hair condition, even though they very following with ACV rinses and restoring the pH back to acid and so on. I wouldn't have mix it in for my use, but that's my opinion, I just wanted to voice it in case other people didn't think of that.

I am not a baking soda fan either. Like I said, I understand how you feel about it. I just disagreed as to why in this case.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I am not a baking soda fan either. Like I said, I understand how you feel about it. I just disagreed as to why in this case.
Okay, great, I'm glad we cleared that :flower:

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Okay, great, I'm glad we cleared that :flower:

You do realize though that sodium bicarbonate or baking soda is what gives club soda it higher acidic pH and what helps react with chlorine to neutralize it.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 06:19 AM
You do realize though that sodium bicarbonate or baking soda is what gives club soda it higher acidic pH and what helps react with chlorine to neutralize it.
I do. But it's very diluted (unlike Cherrylola's recipe), it's completely dissolved in the water, the soda is still acidic, and I have a worse substance to get rid of. Moreover, the drink is safe for drinking, so I it's okay by me.
In this recipe you take lots of baking soda, make it chemically react with yogurt, which is a product full of ingredients that one might not be aware of, for the sole purpose of rising the pH so that cuticles will open up and the hair will absorb the treatment better (something I wouldn't want in my conditioning treatment anyway).
I, personally, would pass on the baking soda. If your hair needs amino acids, then it's porous enough to begin with. I would at least recommend rinsing the treatment out with ACV rinse just to make sure.

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I do. But it's very diluted (unlike Cherrylola's recipe), it's completely dissolved in the water, the soda is still acidic, and I have a worse substance to get rid of. Moreover, the drink is safe for drinking, so I it's okay by me.
In this recipe you take lots of baking soda, make it chemically react with yogurt, which is a product full of ingredients that one might not be aware of, for the sole purpose of rising the pH so that cuticles will open up and the hair will absorb the treatment better (something I wouldn't want in my conditioning treatment anyway).
I, personally, would pass on the baking soda. If your hair needs amino acids, then it's porous enough to begin with. I would at least recommend rinsing the treatment out with ACV rinse just to make sure.

I agree. In this case, the baking soda may not be necessary.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I agree. In this case, the baking soda may not be necessary.
Yeah, that's what she said (http://www.cherrylola.com/?p=442):

Baking Soda 1/2 part
To make my hair more porous.
Again, just my :twocents:. :)

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Yeah, that's what she said (http://www.cherrylola.com/?p=442):

Again, just my :twocents:. :)

My point was/is that the baking soda would not necessarily be effective to do that at a lower pH and I was responding to your concern over reactions. That is just my opinion.

It will be interesting to see possibly different results with different recipes used.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
My point was/is that the baking soda would not necessarily be effective to do that at a lower pH and I was responding to your concern over reactions. That is just my opinion.

It will be interesting to see possibly different results with different recipes used.
Yeah, good point. I would be interested to see how it works for people here. I check the soy sauce I've got, and there was salt in it, so I'm not sure if I should use it. I doubt we have here this liquid aminos equivalent though.

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Yeah, good point. I would be interested to see how it works for people here. I check the soy sauce I've got, and there was salt in it, so I'm not sure if I should use it. I doubt we have here this liquid aminos equivalent though.

Flaxen made a very good point about the salt. Even with diluting your soy sauce, the salt content would probably still be high.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Flaxen made a very good point about the salt. Even with diluting your soy sauce, the salt content would probably still be high.
So I've read. Going to hunt me down a good soy sauce. :p

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
So I've read. Going to hunt me down a good soy sauce. :p

Good luck! I look forward to your results minus the baking soda.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Good luck! I look forward to your results minus the baking soda.
Me too hehe ;)

Roseate
April 11th, 2009, 11:17 AM
It's worth noting (and maybe worth editing) that the OP has the proportions wrong in her post: the recipe from the blog was

2 parts yogurt
1/2 part BS
1/2 part AA

instead of the 2/1 ratio posted. I think I will try a little baking soda in mine (my hair likes BS as a clarifier, so it may be a good combination of clarifying and conditioning for me), but I think 2/1 would be just wayyyy too much!

I think I'll do 1/2 tsp BS to a cup of yogurt; I used to do 1/2 tsp in 1c water for a clarifying wash and that was good.

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
It's worth noting (and maybe worth editing) that the OP has the proportions wrong in her post: the recipe from the blog was

2 parts yogurt
1/2 part BS
1/2 part AA

instead of the 2/1 ratio posted. I think I will try a little baking soda in mine (my hair likes BS as a clarifier, so it may be a good combination of clarifying and conditioning for me), but I think 2/1 would be just wayyyy too much!

I think I'll do 1/2 tsp BS to a cup of yogurt; I used to do 1/2 tsp in 1c water for a clarifying wash and that was good.

I noticed that too. Thanks for posting this. I am not sure what the baking soda does in the recipe.

Roseate
April 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I am not sure what the baking soda does in the recipe.

My thought is that it does a bit of clarifying, the yogurt does some moisturizing and the AAs add some protein: If my hair needs any one of those three things I lose curl, so that would be my theory as to why it enhances curl. It may be overkill to do this treatment very often, though. Too much clarifying or protein is not good either.

I'll be sure to post my results!

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM
My thought is that it does a bit of clarifying, the yogurt does some moisturizing and the AAs add some protein: If my hair needs any one of those three things I lose curl, so that would be my theory as to why it enhances curl. It may be overkill to do this treatment very often, though. Too much clarifying or protein is not good either.

I'll be sure to post my results!

That is just it. Part of the clarifying action of baking soda is in its pH. Be sure to predissolve the baking soda first though. It can be abrasive otherwise.

Roseate
April 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Part of the clarifying action of baking soda is in its pH. Be sure to predissolve the baking soda first though.

Hmm, yes, the PH will be changed by the acidic yogurt, so..... ??? Well, I'll be a guinea pig on this one! I think I'll dissolve the BS in my AA's and then add it to the yogurt to avoid grit. It always dissolved completely for me in water, never had a problem with grittiness so hopefully this will work.

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hmm, yes, the PH will be changed by the acidic yogurt, so..... ??? Well, I'll be a guinea pig on this one! I think I'll dissolve the BS in my AA's and then add it to the yogurt to avoid grit. It always dissolved completely for me in water, never had a problem with grittiness so hopefully this will work.

What is missing in this equasion is the pH of the liquid aminos. I could not find anything on that.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
What is missing in this equation is the pH of the liquid aminos. I could not find anything on that.
That's a good thought.

The recipe is nor written in stone, niether was practiced for generations. That blogger, CherryLola, came up with it herself, and she clearly stated why she adds baking soda.
I doubt the baking soda part would be clarifying. When you clarify with shampoo, you don't mix in conditioner to save time. You do both, separately. I don't think the baking soda would work as a clarifier in this recipe.

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
That's a good thought.

The recipe is nor written in stone, niether was practiced for generations. That blogger, CherryLola, came up with it herself, and she clearly stated why she adds baking soda.
I doubt the baking soda part would be clarifying. When you clarify with shampoo, you don't mix in conditioner to save time. You do both, separately. I don't think the baking soda would work as a clarifier in this recipe.

I agree completely. There is too much yogurt for that. I understand her intention for using the baking soda but not the recipe that she created. It makes no sense to me that it would either clarify or make her hair more porous in those proportions with the other ingredients.

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Most shampoo is acidic. Adding baking soda to a shampoo would raise the pH enough to help it clarify, depending on how much is added. I think that is where she may have gotten the idea. She said that she had used baking soda in other recipes.

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I agree completely. There is too much yogurt for that. I understand her intention for using the baking soda but not the recipe that she created. It makes no sense to me that it would either clarify or make her hair more porous in those proportions with the other ingredients.
I agree. I'd suggest to do a baking soda rinse before doing the treatment. It would clarify the hair and open up the cuticles, and make the treatment absorb twice as much.

ktani
April 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I agree. I'd suggest to to a baking soda rinse before doing the treatment. It would clarify the hair and open up the cuticles, and make the treatment absorb twice as much.

As I said, I am not a fan of baking soda as a clarifyer because it is alkaline but your idea is a good one. I would just use a clarifying shampoo or one for normal hair instead, if it were me trying this.

I suggest trying the recipe minus the baking soda first and just see how it goes.

Roseate
April 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Ok, getting ready to give this a try and doing a bit of last-minute research. My soy sauce (http://www.san-j.com/product_info.asp?id=1) has the exact same amount of sodium as Bragg's (http://www.bragg.com/products/la.html). (Those pages are a little confusing because the soy has information for one tablespoon, while the Braggs has information for 1/2 teaspoon. But multiply the bragg's # by six and you get the same as the soy.)

Protein amounts also seem similar; 310 mg x6=1860mg, roughly the same as the 2g in the soy.

So I'm all set to try it with my soy, baking soda and yogurt, wish me luck! I'll be making hot-cross-buns with a head full of slop. Yum.

Heidi_234
April 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Ok, getting ready to give this a try and doing a bit of last-minute research. My soy sauce (http://www.san-j.com/product_info.asp?id=1) has the exact same amount of sodium as Bragg's (http://www.bragg.com/products/la.html). (Those pages are a little confusing because the soy has information for one tablespoon, while the Braggs has information for 1/2 teaspoon. But multiply the bragg's # by six and you get the same as the soy.)

Protein amounts also seem similar; 310 mg x6=1860mg, roughly the same as the 2g in the soy.

So I'm all set to try it with my soy, baking soda and yogurt, wish me luck! I'll be making hot-cross-buns with a head full of slop. Yum.
I'm anxious to see how is goes for you. :)

ktani
April 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Good luck!

SammieEve
April 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM

2 parts yogurt
1/2 part BS
1/2 part AA

Oh, wow. Thanks for spotting that. :flower: I didn't even realize I made that error. I'll go back and edit my original post so that people don't get confused reading it.

But that still seems like a lot of baking soda/amino acids right? So if I translate this recipe to:
1 part yogurt = 1 cup yogurt
then 1/2 part BS and 1/2 part AA = 1/4 cup BS and 1/4 cup AA.

Which still seems like a lot. Since there are 16 tbsp in a cup, it seems like I used 1/4 part BS/AA in my recipe while the recipe writer used twice that amount.

(sorry for any metric people, I have a cold and can't think straight enough to use metric right now...)

Roseate
April 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
OK, the deed is done! I was a bit limited by my materials on hand, but it turned out all right. Household scavengers had eaten most of the yogurt, so I only had 1/4 cup to work with. And... it was nonfat.:rolleyes:

So first I melted 1/2 T coconut oil to bring the fat level up. Then added 1T of my soy sauce, then dissolved 1/4t BS in that. It fizzed a little. Poured all this into my yogurt, it fizzed a bit more, and now smelled pretty odd. Syrupy, as some have said.

I dampened my hair with a spray bottle- I have a hard time distributing anything properly on dry hair. But in this case, the stuff was so drippy that I should probably have skipped that step. I slathered the goo on my head, showercapped it and turbanned myself in a floursack towel. I fought drips while making hotcross buns for about an hour.

I CO'd it out, did an ACV rinse and blotted with a towel. I also wanted to take a hairtyping photo anyway, so I didn't add any leave-ins or product of any kind. As I was rinsing I could still feel a bit of coconut-oil slip, so I think that was a good addition.

Wet:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/3436488240_185f35f999_m.jpg Dry:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3330/3436479468_dace7d0a2d_m.jpgNormal:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3383/3408648306_de2ebfb8bc_m.jpg

The third picture is on another day, after a regular CO and leave-in. It is nice and soft now, and seems to be holding just a tad more curl, particularly in the crown area. But it is definitely not a magic frizz-reducing bullet for me; you can maybe see the halo in the second picture. I think if I'd done a leave-in as usual it might be about normal. I wanted to try without to see the effects of the treatment alone, though.

:shrug: Not a triumph, not a disaster. I'll have to think about how I might tweak it next time.

ktani
April 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
OK, the deed is done! I was a bit limited by my materials on hand, but it turned out all right. Household scavengers had eaten most of the yogurt, so I only had 1/4 cup to work with. And... it was nonfat.:rolleyes:

So first I melted 1/2 T coconut oil to bring the fat level up. Then added 1T of my soy sauce, then dissolved 1/4t BS in that. It fizzed a little. Poured all this into my yogurt, it fizzed a bit more, and now smelled pretty odd. Syrupy, as some have said.

I dampened my hair with a spray bottle- I have a hard time distributing anything properly on dry hair. But in this case, the stuff was so drippy that I should probably have skipped that step. I slathered the goo on my head, showercapped it and turbanned myself in a floursack towel. I fought drips while making hotcross buns for about an hour.

I CO'd it out, did an ACV rinse and blotted with a towel. I also wanted to take a hairtyping photo anyway, so I didn't add any leave-ins or product of any kind. As I was rinsing I could still feel a bit of coconut-oil slip, so I think that was a good addition.

Wet:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/3436488240_185f35f999_m.jpg Dry:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3330/3436479468_dace7d0a2d_m.jpgNormal:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3383/3408648306_de2ebfb8bc_m.jpg

The third picture is on another day, after a regular CO and leave-in. It is nice and soft now, and seems to be holding just a tad more curl, particularly in the crown area. But it is definitely not a magic frizz-reducing bullet for me; you can maybe see the halo in the second picture. I think if I'd done a leave-in as usual it might be about normal. I wanted to try without to see the effects of the treatment alone, though.

:shrug: Not a triumph, not a disaster. I'll have to think about how I might tweak it next time.

I think that your hair looks great! You also posted a very well written and detailed report and illustrated it nicely with your great pictures! Well done! The halo you speak of, looks minimal.

Roseate
April 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks ktani! I'm still feeling the extra softness today, not noticing any bad effects from BS or the high sodium.

ktani
April 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks ktani! I'm still feeling the extra softness today, not noticing any bad effects from BS or the high sodium.

You are most welcome! You used more yogurt than anything else and you did add the coconut oil. 1 question. Is that 1/4 T for the BS or 1/4 tsp?

Roseate
April 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM
You are most welcome! You used more yogurt than anything else and you did add the coconut oil. 1 question. Is that 1/4 T for the BS or 1/4 tsp?

It was 1/4 tsp. I wanted to start very conservatively, since I've never let baking soda sit on my head for so long, and it can be so drying. 1/4 tsp is the amount I used to use in my clarifying rinse, and it was very cleansing, so I started there.

ktani
April 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
It was 1/4 tsp. I wanted to start very conservatively, since I've never let baking soda sit on my head for so long, and it can be so drying. 1/4 tsp is the amount I used to use in my clarifying rinse, and it was very cleansing, so I started there.

Thank you. I thought it was 1/4 tsp. Just checking.

vkb247
April 15th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I think it makes sense that this would affect curls the way it did for Lola. I know at least one lady that used yogurt/honey/banana treatments on a regular basis and it slightly loosened her curls and another lady who used baking soda and conditioner (she fell asleep with it in and it burnt her but she also used loads) and experienced some curl loosening.

Other ladies have used protein treatments to revive their curls when their hair started loosing some of the curl pattern. These ladies were type 3 and 4.

I have had great results from yogurt treatments. I also tried baking soda/conditioner treatments without any noticeable difference from other treatments so I expect this will work well for me.

I have it in my head right now. I used:

10 TBS Plain, full fat yogurt
2 TBS Bragg's Amino Acids
2 TBS Baking Soda

I had to resist the urge to add honey/bananas. It fluffed right up while mixing and definitely smells kind of like coffee. I like it. I have had it in for about an hour.

manderly
April 16th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Writing this now so I don't forget. There seems to be alot of confusion on the measurements, so I just made up my own. :)

I used:

1 single-serve (6 oz) cup of plain yogurt
2 tsp BS
2 tsp Bragg's

Applied to dry hair, the mix was enough to nicely cover my BSL hair from root to tip. I left it on from between 20-30 mins (I was in the tub and starting to prune). Rinsed, then CO washed with Suave naturals. Cool rinse. Hair is now scrunched with Giovanni Direct Leave-In and about 5 drops coconut oil. Hair is currently air drying untouched. This is the second wash using the CG method, and I'll probably be going to sleep before it gets a chance to completely dry (cross fingers). Hopefully I don't mess it up in my sleep. I'll post photos tomorrow :)

vkb247
April 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I ended up leaving my mix in for 3 hours because I had to run out and pick up my mother when I was about to rinse it out. My hair is curly but chemically processed and this definitely made it feel more processed. When I was rinsing it out it felt much straighter. My hair has curled back up now, but I had to do a vinegar rinse to make my hair feel/look like nirmal after rinsing this treatment out. I was able to style my hair with conditioner only for the first time and my dry hair looks much more like my wet hair than it ever has.

I like it but I have resistant hair that can take quite a bit. I think most people should proceed with much caution.

vkb247
April 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM
BTW I have thick SL hair and my mix was just barely enough for my hair. It didn't even look like anything was in it.

manderly
April 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Ok, the verdict is....my hair is very soft and curly. It felt yucky when I was massaging conditioner in, like freshly clarified hair.

No pictures, because quite honestly, my hair is kooky today. :silly: I had a sore neck (I almost couldn't figure out how to lay down without pain!) and unfortunately slept ON my hair instead of tossing it behind my pillow (I couldn't manage that!). So it's got some funky kinks going on, but I can see the normal straight/frizz of my canopy is diminished greatly. It's blended it with my curl structure much better than the other day when I first did CG. Not a bad treatment. :shrug:

It's stinky though! My ends feel LOVELY for the first time in AGES.

Heidi_234
April 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences guys, now I'll be on the watchout for low salt soy sauce or maybe if I'm lucky there's something similar to those liquid aminos here too.