PDA

View Full Version : I've cut off my layers! Yay! (photos)

LutraLutra
April 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I just wanted to share this – my grown-out pixie layers were really starting to annoy me.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/princessaldatma/precutlayers.jpg

I decided I had three options…
Forget about them for the moment, but cut them off at some point in the distant future.
Trim the layers out slowly over a long time (i.e. the sensible way).
Cut as much of them off as possible now, but lose a huge amount of length.Naturally I chose option 3.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/princessaldatma/layerslayer.jpg

I'm really glad I did it, my hemline is so much thicker now. I felt that the longer my hair grew the less happy I'd be to sacrifice length for aesthetics. I still have a few layers to go, but they actually look as though they're supposed be there.

Best of all… I no longer look like someone who's growing out a short haircut! Yay! :cheese:

ailin
April 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Looks great! :cheese:

AnneAdeline
April 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Wow, looks good!
I've been cutting my layers off slowly for about a year now. I wish I had the guts to just go for Option 3.

SleepySin
April 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Oo.. shinyy!

Your hair looks good. The blurred out face totally threw me off though.. lol

janeytilllie
April 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
It looks good!:cheese: Your hair is very shiny and thick :D

viking_quest
April 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
It looks good. And wow, your hair is shiny.

Helen Baq
April 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Your hair looks great! I've always preferred taking off several inches to make my hair look good rather than the slow method. In the end you have the same length, or more - you just had to let it go all at once. Probably your hair will "grow faster" from this. I've always found layers to be the biggest hurdle in growing out my hair, since the damage can travel upwards on the shorter layers while you're still trimming of the longer ones. :)

PrliamntofRooks
April 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM
My hair started out about that long in Nov 2007. I'm now millimeters past the bottom of my brastrap. I still have layers to cut out though (which I won't do untill I hit waist). It really hasn't been that long, so have patience on the next step of your goal and it will pass relatively quickly!

spidermom
April 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM
That looks great; I think you made the right choice.

Eireann
April 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Looks great! That cut is great for growing out. You can pretty much just forget about it, and it will continue to look good. No more "awkward stages", and it's very cute and stylish! Your hair looks so shiny and healthy. Good going!

Deborah
April 10th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Good Job! Your hair looks shinier and prettier, and it will probably grow faster now. It does feel wonderful to have a nice, even hemline. Now you can grow with less need for trims, and with none of that shaggy look so many have when they are afraid to lose a little length. :)

Heavenly Locks
April 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
That is a MUCH better shape. That shine is glorious! WOO!

vamq
April 10th, 2009, 11:46 AM
It looks beautiful :)
And I notice on myself, that when I cut off quite some length, it would grow back like weed, s I hope it's the same for you :)

btw, I noticed we're almost hair twins!

LutraLutra
April 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. :)

The blurred out face totally threw me off though.. lol What blurred face? That's the way I normally look... ;)

longhairedfairy
April 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM
The ends look nice and soft. :cheese:

longhairedfairy
April 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. :)

What blurred face? That's the way I normally look... ;)

Oh, now that's just creepy! It reminds me of a Doctor Who episode (can't remember the name of it). Lol!

LutraLutra
April 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM
It looks beautiful :)
And I notice on myself, that when I cut off quite some length, it would grow back like weed, s I hope it's the same for you :)
btw, I noticed we're almost hair twins!

If we're almost hair twins then I really hope my hair will look as amazing as yours does now. :)

LutraLutra
April 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Oh, now that's just creepy! It reminds me of a Doctor Who episode (can't remember the name of it). Lol!
I only wanted to grow my hair as a distraction from the hideous void where my face should be. :D

pilateschick7
April 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I love it! Your hair is so shiny and healthy. It has such a cute shape. I always preferred to give up length because my hair wanted to become a mullet otherwise. (Your did not mullet, I was just reminiscing of my own)
Good luck:)

myotislucifugus
April 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I wish I had had the guts to cut like that when I was growing out my layers! It took 2 years or me to grow everything out to where I was okay cutting it, and it hurt to lose the length. Congrats!

lapushka
April 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Wishing you happy growing. There's no layers holding you back now, go for it!

Arctic
April 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
It looks good, and wow shiny and smooth! I also have chosen each time I've grown out my pixie to go slower with one style to another, it make the short to shoulder stage much more fun!

LaurelSpring
April 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
The cut looks great. A bob has always been a good cut for me. The thing is though for me if I want long hair it is not a good idea to keep evening up the hemline. As it grows it will get uneven (especially noticeable in a bob) and then you will be in the same sort of delimma again. I think at least with layers growing out you have a more fairytale end looking grow out situation than a very noticeably uneven hemline situation. Of course then you feel you have to even it up again and again. I was in this situation for many years and got nowhere fast. The only way I have been able to get length was no trimming or at the very least micro dustings and take the long way. Everyone is different in how they approach it, but its just something to think about.

Tap Dancer
April 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Looks great! Better to get it over with, IMO. :)

Arctic_Mama
April 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Very cute! And that length will come back pretty quickly anyway, but yay for a thicker hemline! I'd love to do that with mine but I get such awful triangle head that I can't even it up until it is at least BSL. I am super jealous of your color and shine, it's beautiful!

manderly
April 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
That's an adorable bob!

gmdiaz
April 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Really pretty cut. . .looks so healthy and shiny!

Now don't you feel like you have a fresh start?

You made a great decision!

ungratefulgirl
April 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm going to have to trim slowly...if I chose option three I'd end up with VERY short hair indeed (I have a mohawk).

GlennaGirl
April 10th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I HEART YOUR BANGS. Your hair is just gorgeous, sleek, shiny and thick. Happy growing to you!

Samitra
April 11th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I wish I could work up the courage to do what you did!

I chose the "trimming slowly"-method. But it's not working so well, since I don't want to trim if I don't have split ends all over the hair. And I don't, so I don't trim...

But after looking at your photos and playing with the thought, I've decided to leave my hair as it is, but to re-think "option 3" when the shortest layers has hit shoulderlenght.

The cut looks great on you, and your hair is beautiful!

Debra83
April 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I love it.

When I first started, I thought about evening out the layers, but I'd still be at ear length!!!

THAT'S what I kept doing all these years after chopping off my waist length. But, I can handle microtrims when I just HAVE to do something!!!

For your hair type though, it looks really cute. Shiny and healthy looking for sure.

AnnaMarie
April 11th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Very pretty :)

LutraLutra
April 11th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks again everyone for the kind comments and good advice. I can see how I could get hung up on trimming my hemline to get it as thick as possible and really delay my growing. I'm going to leave it alone until the end of summer and then see if I want to take another 1/2 inch off or not. :)

paper
April 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I love it! Great choice.

rhubarbarin
April 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I love your haircut! It looks so cute on you (even though I can't see your face), doesn't look like an 'in-between' style at all.

Forever_Sophie
April 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Very nice! Your hair is so healthy looking :) I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

morguebabe
April 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Looks great, congrats!

Pixna
April 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Your hair looks GREAT, LutraLutra!!! It was a smart decision. That's what I did when I was growing out my layers from a pixie. In December, I cut off all the remaining layers. However, my hair ended up looking like a bowl-cut for about two months, until it got a little more length. Yours doesn't look like that at all -- it really turned out terrific. Now all you have to do is grow down from here!!

smilinjenn71
April 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Woohooooooo, very nice!

I feel your pain with those layers........:justy:

But now they are gone...whoop whoop!

lawyermom
April 11th, 2009, 11:18 AM
i love it!

Roseate
April 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Oh, what a cute sleek little haircut! I'd cut off my layers in a second if my hair would look like that. Now you can just leave it alone and cruise right along to your goal!

enfys
April 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I'm sure that'll grow out much more evenly now, and you'll have caught any splits that were hiding in the layers!

dearladydisdain
April 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM
It looks great! :)

longhairedfairy
April 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I only wanted to grow my hair as a distraction from the hideous void where my face should be. :D

LMAO! :rollin:

Johanna64
April 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Your hair looks very healthy!! :)

MimiKeki
April 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I think it looks so much better, and you've really got guts the way you just went for it.
I also want to get rid of my layers (I think), but I'm certainly not ready to sacrifice any length any time soon.
You have gorgeous shine, I think this is the perfect start for you.

skay
April 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Looks great! I agree with the previous comments above about it looking healthy and sleek.

I had also did something similar and didn't regret it either. :)

LutraLutra
April 12th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks everyone. :crush: it's now been a few days since it was cut and my hair has really settled down into its new style. :happydance:

Teazel
April 12th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Wow, it looks great. Really healthy! :rockerdud

wissles
April 12th, 2009, 06:12 AM
That's really cute! I hate my layers, really hate them. There's like a big bun on the top of my head with short hair. But I guess the layers will grow out too, when it's a big longer I think It will look better even though it will be a bit uneven.

melrose1985
April 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Wow it looks great and even though you are growing your hair your hair looks very good that length! happy growing!

neon-dream
April 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
It looks great :D!
Good choice :flowers:

shaybabe8604
April 13th, 2009, 12:15 AM
It's really pretty!

kirky
April 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
LutraLutra,

I agree with everyone that the cut looks great. You'll be so happy with a blunt hemline!

How much did you end up cutting? Did you have a friend or family member do it, or did you make a trip to the salon?

JamieLeigh
April 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
It looks great! And the fringe is cute too! :)

I think I'm going to do the same, and cut off my lowest 2" of damage. For goodness' sake, it'll grow back, lol. ;)

LutraLutra
April 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone. :)

LutraLutra,

I agree with everyone that the cut looks great. You'll be so happy with a blunt hemline!

How much did you end up cutting? Did you have a friend or family member do it, or did you make a trip to the salon?

I got my hairdresser to cut it, he's a great guy. He cut off an inch, I asked for more. He cut off another inch, I still asked for more. I think it's probably around 2 1/2 to 3 inches, but I don't measure my hair, so I'm not sure.

There's NO WAY I'd ever cut my own hair - when I was about 19 I got very drunk with some housemates and offered to cut someones hair, with dressmaking scissors. :rolleyes: I had never cut hair before. Of course it went badly wrong and my housmate had to go to her hairdresser fix the mess I'd made. Her hair was very short to start off with so it's not like I'd cut her waist lenght hair to neck, but she hated me after that, and I don't blame her at all.

Do I have to leave LHC now? :o :(

(snip)
I think I'm going to do the same, and cut off my lowest 2" of damage. For goodness' sake, it'll grow back, lol. ;)

Exactly. 2 inches isn't that much and if it makes your hair feel better, then go for it.

KajiKodomo
April 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
It looks great! :D

Jessikinz
April 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Really good choice you made :) It looks good and was the right decision. You just might be my motivation to cut off all of my layers soon...although if I can recall that is about 4 or 5 inches, but it just might be worth it!

Pretty color too so healthy :)

smilinjenn71
April 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
No, you don't have to leave silly girl! You've only just begun!:flower:

Kajol
April 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
It looks great! when I was growing out my layers I didn't have the guts to cut out 5 inches of layers. It took me forever to trim them off gradually.

And btw, your shine is amazing.