PDA

View Full Version : Material for rag curls.

morguebabe
April 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I can't find my old tee shirt fabric strips I used last time to make them. Can I cut an old towel up and use that. Or is that too thick and will terry cloth make it frizzy?

DragonLady
April 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I made mine from an old bedsheet.

marajade
April 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I would think towel material would be a bit much, the smoothness of the t-shirt material probably works a lot better and wouldn't cause frizz.

GlassEyes
April 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Terry cloth will rub and cause frizz.

Try anything smoother, like plain sheet material or velvet or something. Basically anything that anyone who has curly hair on this site will allow to touch their hair is fine for making them, I think. xDDDD

pilateschick7
April 10th, 2009, 12:45 PM
My mom used to make them out of old pillow cases with high thread count. Plus pillowcases always seem to multiply like furbies, and never match sheets. Do the dimensions change for longer length hair when you make them? (Dumb question I know but I am tempted to get crafty) She only make them when I was little and had shoulder length hair.

jera
April 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I've never made them but have often thought about it. My grandmother used to use cotton fabric. Maybe that would work for you? Terry cloth would be too thick, even if it's thin terry. It would pull on your hair. :(

SimplyLonghair
April 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Terry cloth leaves fuzz in the hair, so I use smooth cotton. Sheets work so well because they don't grab hair or leave fuzz, but any smooth fabric would work. I have even used left over silk for rag tieing. Tee shirt works because it doesn't have to be sewn to make it work. All other material really needs to be stitched to make it work well or not fray. HTH

enfys
April 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I've seen j-cloths used a lot of times. The blue and white striped type of dusters. They often come on a roll and you tear off what you need.