PDA

View Full Version : PMS and shedding

swan
April 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Forgive me if this has already been asked (I couldn't find anything but vaguely remember I've entertained the question before myself or seen it here).
Does anyone notice any increase in shedding prior to menstruation --during PMS time? I'm sure my shedding suddenly rises to double or triple starting about 4-6 days before menstruation well into the second or third days of cycle and then it just calms down (so it's a total week -on average- of madness). Anyone with a similar experience? I've done some research around this but have found no scientific explanation except that hairloss is one of the PMS symptoms for some :(

Gypsygirl
April 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Same here...my hair is all over the place during those days. I get sore gums as well. I have no idea why- but it's annoying. ;)

JamieLeigh
April 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I personally have never noticed much of a difference in my own shedding - but it stands to reason that if your hormones are fluctuating during PMS as much as they do during pregnancy and after, then you might have an increased shed rate. I have plenty of other horrible things happening during that time, and I guess they sort of take the attention away from my hair for a few days. :o

swan
April 10th, 2009, 06:32 AM
So sorry to know you have to go through that as well. But that says I'm not alone --no-one among women around me has that so I always thought it's so weird. I used to get very sensitive scalp as well but since I've started to use Murad hair system -poo, conditioner and serum-- I've luckily said good-bye to sore scalp.

jivete
April 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
My shedding increases, but it also grows faster during this time.

hennaphile
April 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
totally!

and for 3 periods a month, that is stinky :(

hennared
April 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
YES. A loud, resounding YES. It became an issue, though, only in this past year of my hair thinning and having erratic cycles.. ( I am in my 40's and now for the first time in my life do I have significant PMS - and shedding)

Edited to add: scientific reason for hair shedding?? ha ha ha. (sorry; just, it strikes me most info on hair loss is sooo vague it ain't scientific at all! But, hormone fluctuation would be a good bet as a reason, in this case)