PDA

View Full Version : Flaky scalp

Jiffa Jaffa
April 10th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Apologies if this topic has been done to death, only I am on my lucnh break and don't have much time to search the forum! Can anyone recommend something for my flaky scalp? It isn't at all itchy, just doesn't look very nice! I would rather not try an anti-dandruff medicated shampoo as they are quite drying to my hair, which is thick, dry and coarse! Thanks :)

Heavenly Locks
April 10th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Can you describe your routine and the products you use? :) It will help point us in the direction of a possible cause...

Gothic Lolita
April 10th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Describing what you use would really be a help. However, I've the same problem of reappearing flakies and a non-itching scalp. Then I either do a long CO wash or I put on conditioner all over and then wash only my scalp with Head&Shoulders (too drying for the length). Usually helps, but that's for my scalp and your's could be different.

Jiffa Jaffa
April 11th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Sorry, I have only just had a chance to update this thread! Thanks for your replies. I use SLS shampoos generally, I am currently trying to use up my various Lush shampoos, and I wash my hair about 3-4 times a week. I did think that it was the SLS that aggravates my scalp, but when I try SLS free shampoos, and whilst my hair feel nice and soft, it becomes greasier more quickly andIfeel like I have to wash every day in order for my hair to look its best, which i don't really have time for!
In terms of conditioning, I'm pretty much cone free and apply conditioner mainly to the lengths and ends apart from when I SMT which I apply to the scalp also, and I try to SMT at least once a week. Do you think some sort of ACV rinse could work? Thanks for your help! :)

Teresa9000
April 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Not sure if you are talking about the scalp massage or moisture treatment when you say SMT, but I find that scritching before I wash my hair helps keep flakes away and sometimes helps my hair stay clean longer (when I do it BEFORE I wash it, that is. NOT after I wash it. Then it just gets really greasy). I use my fingers instead of a comb, though. It works better for me that way.

mira-chan
April 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Sorry, I have only just had a chance to update this thread! Thanks for your replies. I use SLS shampoos generally, I am currently trying to use up my various Lush shampoos, and I wash my hair about 3-4 times a week. I did think that it was the SLS that aggravates my scalp, but when I try SLS free shampoos, and whilst my hair feel nice and soft, it becomes greasier more quickly and I feel like I have to wash every day in order for my hair to look its best, which i don't really have time for!
In terms of conditioning, I'm pretty much cone free and apply conditioner mainly to the lengths and ends apart from when I SMT which I apply to the scalp also, and I try to SMT at least once a week. Do you think some sort of ACV rinse could work? Thanks for your help! :)
Lush puts SLS (sodium coco sulfate is the same as SLS just less purified) so if that is your problem, those may not be the best products. I'm sensitive to SLS, I get severe itchiness from it. I uses SLS free shampoo or herbs to wash my hair. I also oil both hair and scalp (scalp massage included) before wash and leave it on for a couple of hours before washing it off.

First what do you flakes look like. Large oily or small fine dust like? are they white or yellow?

ACV may help, it doesn't hurt to try.

earthdancer
April 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I feel like I'm beating a drum the last few days, but hard water can cause all kinds of problems, including flaky scalp. Also high-alkaline water, in my experience. If you have a water softener, check the salt level. If you don't have a water softener, you might want to try shampooing with bottled water once (or water from a neighbor with a water softener) and see of there is any improvement. I have had my hair shampooed at a professional salon a few times to give my hair and scalp a break from our water, but most places don't train their personnel on handling long hair. I haven't been to a salon in 3 years--that's how little I recommend most of them.

I have 3 rules for trying something new to solve a problem: 1) Is it potentially harmful? 2) Is it difficult? 3) Is it expensive?

If the answer is no to all 3 questions, then go ahead and try it. It can't hurt, might help.

tinker bug
April 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
since you're on your lunch break, I'll try to make this as short as possible:

If the flakes are yellow, then you'll need to skritch and shampoo

If the flakes are white, then use ACV rinses before every wash, and add some into your shampoo. In my case, the white flakes were a sign of a bacteria, so I continued using the ACV rinses with a bit in my shampoo for about 2 weeks, and the flakes significantly dissappered.

*Both of these methods worked in my case, however, I haven't personally known anyone else in RL with the same flaky condition as myself who used these two methods. Try at your own risk, and goodluck at becoming flake free!

longhairedfairy
April 12th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Could you get some pine tar soap for a scalp wash? I didn't find it drying.

Gilly
April 12th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I too am struggling with this problem, today I ordered some Giovanni Tea tree triple treat shampoo and conditioner to see if that will help, I think I will need a new shower soon as mine is rapidly filling up with bottles of shampoo and conditioner that don't really work :rolleyes:

brok3nwings
April 14th, 2009, 03:35 AM
for me having clean scalp is the most important thing for flakes but i dont really have any good advice for you

alinakathryn
April 14th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Ktani's Catnip rinse has helped my flakes. Let me do a little digging for the link to the recipie

alinakathryn
April 14th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Found the link the title is Catnip for split ends? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476) The rince works really well on my scalp.