PDA

View Full Version : Video tutorial question

Torrin Paige
April 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Howdy, ya'll. So, as some of you know, I have a page over on ye olde you tube where I post video tutorials of various hairstyles that I've figured out. I also do requests from time to time, if I can figure out how to do them, and generally try to keep my viewing public happy.

So, here's the thing. I'm running out of hairstyles. Now, I know quite a few styles that I haven't done tutorials on, but I learned all of those styles from this very community. When I have borrowed a hairstyle in the past, I always make sure to acknowledge the person who came up with it and give them credit for the original hairstyle. So, here's my question: Do you think it would be okay to make video tutorials of some of the pictorial hairstyles featured here, letting everyone know where I got it and giving credit where it is due, or would that be stepping on toes?

I've sent quite a few of my subscribers over here already to the style section, but many of them have come back asking for video tutorials. I am somewhat at a loss and just don't know what I should do. So, why not ask, right? It never hurts to ask, and if ya'll think that tutorials of others' hairstyles is inappropriate then I'll not do them. If you think it would be okay as long as credit is given, then I can make my subscribers happy. So, I'm leaving it up to you, as you ladies are thoughtful and wise and such and give really good advice. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and help me out. I really appreciate it!

royalscorpio
April 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hey Torrin. You may recognize me from LJ. Anyhow, I know that I've tried several hairstyles in the past and didn't get it until I looked over your tutorials! So I'm ALL for creating more! You do a great job! Since folks here are always promoting education about hair styles and healthy care, I don't see why not.

Gumball
April 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I figure if you ask the person who wrote the tutorial and it's all good then, well, it's all good!

edensapples
April 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Torrin! I'm subscribed to you over on ye olde you tube, and I love watching your videos :)

You're very down to earth, and you seem like the kind of person I'd like to be friends with in real life.

I'm of the opinion that you should try every hairstyle you can find. It's actually really very nice of you to ask first, it's not like there are copyrights on the way you can do your hair ;)

SimplyLonghair
April 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I agree with Gumball, if you can get the ok from the originator of the tutorial then all is good. I also feel that if you make every effort to contact them and there is no response, in a reasonable amount of time, I would still go for it. But that is just my :twocents:

SleepySin
April 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
New subscriber! ;)

It'll take me a long while to get through all the videos but I'm workin' on it!

Ya know, I've always been really curious about those hairstyles they have in the old Chinese movies and TV shows but I'm having an impossibly difficult time trying to find images of them online. All the phrases I'm putting in yields links no where near what I'm looking for.. *grumbles*

Torrin Paige
April 9th, 2009, 11:02 PM
New subscriber! ;)

It'll take me a long while to get through all the videos but I'm workin' on it!

Ya know, I've always been really curious about those hairstyles they have in the old Chinese movies and TV shows but I'm having an impossibly difficult time trying to find images of them online. All the phrases I'm putting in yields links no where near what I'm looking for.. *grumbles*
Do you mean all the super cool "geisha" type styles? Ooh, or ones like in "Curse of the Golden Flower" (I think that's it) with all the beautiful hair sticks and such? I have never been able to figure out those styles. I'm thinking it's because they either use wigs or add so much hair as to make the styles impossible. I have a lot of hair, don't get me wrong, but some of those styles have to use feet and feet more hair than I currently have. :)

Torrin Paige
April 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I figure if you ask the person who wrote the tutorial and it's all good then, well, it's all good!
You know, that's so sensible that I can't believe I didn't think of it myself. Sometimes I am so very, very blonde. The simplest solution is usually the right one. Duh. I do so tend to over-complicate that which is uncomplicated.

SleepySin
April 9th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Do you mean all the super cool "geisha" type styles? Ooh, or ones like in "Curse of the Golden Flower" (I think that's it) with all the beautiful hair sticks and such? I have never been able to figure out those styles. I'm thinking it's because they either use wigs or add so much hair as to make the styles impossible. I have a lot of hair, don't get me wrong, but some of those styles have to use feet and feet more hair than I currently have. :)

Oo, don't get me started on the geisha/maiko hairstyles!! Fortunately, they aren't practical for us normals who sleep on pillows and I'm sure that I'm not purchasing a katsura any time soon sooo.. yes, I meant the Chinese styles in that movie or "The Banquet". Lemme see if I can get picture links to work..

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200705/18/images/lin1.jpghttp://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2007/05/20/520-4491-1.jpg

Oh, and visit this link to Chinese television series: http://www.spcnet.tv/pictures-pID1520-Chinese-Paladin-3_photos.html

I just found that site a couple minutes ago and now I'm gawking at the photos instead of going to bed.. I'm such a bad kitten.

Torrin Paige
April 10th, 2009, 12:13 AM
So those pics you posted look do-able. It'll take some time and mucking about, but definitely do-able. The link, however? How in the world do they manage to get the rolls so even and smooth? Mine never look that neat. And the hair accessories are to die for. Now you've got me oogling pictures. :)

OR Cowgirl
April 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I just watched the Hawser Braid video. GREAT!! Wonderful instruction and a really cool looking braid! And I agree, if permission attempts fail I'd do the video and give credit for the style to the creator.

Phalaenopsis
April 10th, 2009, 02:03 AM
For some you could ask permission of the writer of the tutorial, but some things are just 'out there', nobody has their name on it :) Most braids for instance.

I saw the comments on your fishtailbraid and somebody asked for a vid on the 3-strand fishtail. I thought that was funny :D (apparently LHC spreads around :grin:) I kind of invented that braid and made a tutorial about it, even posted a vid in the topic, but I can't make videos as good as you do! I really admire you for it.:o

You don't have the boxbraid (braided in from the top) yet, nobody has their name on it, so I would say, you can already make that one :)

Cindi Eponabri
April 10th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone here on LHC for the great articles, tutorials and advice. I've had long hair all of my life and never really thought much about it. But I've learned more hair care in the past few months that I've been here than I knew in all of my 58 years. I've had fun trying the different styles and I found one that not only is very easy for me to do, but looks great. I'm absolutely thrilled!!

So thank you and Namaste (the divine in me honors the divine in you).

Cindi Eponabri
April 10th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Wow, I've been following your videos for a while now... I didn't know that was you. Great tutorials! Thank you!!

JamieLeigh
April 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I don't see why you couldn't just do the videos and just give the credit at the beginning or in the description (or both?). I think it's very nice of you to want to ask first, and it's very polite to do so. But I'm fairly sure if they didn't want other people to learn to do it, they wouldn't post instructions on a website, detailing the style...even sometimes with photos! And honestly what's someone going to do - sue you because you braided your hair the same way they do? :slap: I know America is getting a bit slap-happy these days, but COME ON...lol

TheKnight'sLady
April 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Wow, I just read this thread and found all the videos and they are great! Now I might actually be able to learn how to do more than a cinnamon bun and an English braid! Thanks to you and everyone at LHC for being willing to help and share your knowledge. :)

eresh
April 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Your tutorials are always very clear and fun to watch!
In my opinion it could only contribute to the articles.

WavyGirl
April 11th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I don't see why you couldn't just do the videos and just give the credit at the beginning or in the description (or both?). I think it's very nice of you to want to ask first, and it's very polite to do so. But I'm fairly sure if they didn't want other people to learn to do it, they wouldn't post instructions on a website, detailing the style...even sometimes with photos! And honestly what's someone going to do - sue you because you braided your hair the same way they do? :slap: I know America is getting a bit slap-happy these days, but COME ON...lol

I think JamieLeigh is spot on here. You could also link to the original instructions in the info section, because sometimes it's nice to have still photos to refer to as well.

I love your tutorials and I think it would be really fantastic to have a place to find all of them together.

You never know, it might even get cult status: until it's in Torrin Paige's youtube page it's not an official style. :eyebrows: (Just kidding!)