PDA

View Full Version : Deep Treatments how-to?

Laurenji
April 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I've looked all over and for the life of me I can't find anywhere that says how to do a "deep condition" or "deep moisturizing treatment". I've found the recipe for SMT (which I would try, but I don't have any aloe gel on hand), and some mentions of "heavy pre-wash oiling" and mixes of conditioner and oil and other things, but it was all rather vague on the details.

I'm looking for specific instructions on something I could do with oil (EVOO, since that's what I have on hand), possibly conditioner, maybe honey. Something I could leave on for half an hour or an hour (not overnight) and then wash out.

Oil alone: do you just oil your hair really heavily and leave it in for a while? Does leaving it in for an hour or so work as well as overnight? Does heating it work better?

Do mixes of oil/conditioner/honey/what-have-you work the same way (leave in for a while, then wash)?

Some step-by-step help would be nice. It looks interesting, but I have no idea how to go about it.

Roseate
April 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I've done a very nice DT with 1T honey, 1T EVOO, 1/4c conditioner, heated it all up in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to neutralize the peroxide in the honey and worn that on damp hair under a shower cap for an hour or so. You could make that with what you've got.

Oil alone has never had great results as a DT for me. I like a bit of oil on my ends, but have never seen great results from heavy oiling. I think I personally need more humectants than that. Many people do like heavy oiling, though, so YMMV.

Do mixes of oil/conditioner/honey/what-have-you work the same way (leave in for a while, then wash)?

That's the basic idea. Though I usually don't wash conditioner-based DT's out, just rinse. If it's a washday I'll wash beforehand. Heavy oilings do need to be washed out, but you can get oil out with CO-washing or herb-washing, doesn't have to be shampoo.

Melisande
April 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I usually try to get none of the DT on my scalp and next-to-scalp hair because my scalp doesn't appreciate conditioner and my hair would be even flatter.

So I apply the mixture (usually olive or jojoba oil, conditioner, honey, aloe vera gel and wheat protein - but you can leave away what you don't have at hand) to my lengths and ends carefully and gradually. One application after the other until the hair is really soaked very well.

Then, I put a sandwich bag over the lengths and fix it loosely with a scrunchie. I add another portion of DT to the baggie so even if my hair soaks it in, there is still more left. And then I put a shower cap and a towel to avoid dripping and to keep it all nice and warm.

Some hours later, I wash with very diluted shampoo and conditioner.

Usually, the night before this procedure, I massage jojoba oil with essential oils into my scalp so it can enjoy the whole thing, too. Sometimes I use Dabur Vatika for the scalp.

I do this DT at least once a week. I always prepare in advance and keep it in the fridge. My daughters use it, too. And it's easier to decide to to a DT when you have it ready at hand.

Another tip: write down your mixture, your procedure and the result. It's easier to tweak it if you know what you did.

Have fun! The results are, for my hair at least, amazing.

HairColoredHair
April 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Part of the reason exact step by step instructions for such things can be hard to come by is that everyone's hair and preferences are different! Some people like to do overnight oil soaks, some a quick oil and then wash... it takes some experimenting to see which way works for you. :)

Things to keep in mind:

If it's got sticky stuff in it (honey, molasses, some conditioners) try not to let it dry or it'll be hard to get out!

If it's a heavy oil it may require shampoo or a couple shampoos to get it out. Fear not, your hair usually comes through extra washing all right!

Writing it down can help (either a notebook or in your blog or whatever!) Mostly, I find it helps remind me why NOT to do certain things EVER again. (BANANAS. AVOCADO. Argh...)

JamieLeigh
April 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
My deep condish go-to is to mix 1 part honey with 2 parts Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner, enough of it to coat my hair fully from root to tip. For my length, I do about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of conditioner and 1/4 to 1/3 cup of honey. I apply it to scalp and length, and wear a shower cap for 2 hours, then rinse it out. And I treat it like any other CO when I rinse - I don't do anything else to it afterward, no shampooing, no other conditioning, nada. I do this once a month. It works very well for me, and the shine and softness are incredible afterwards!! :cool:

JamieLeigh
April 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
If it's got sticky stuff in it (honey, molasses, some conditioners) try not to let it dry or it'll be hard to get out!

This is true. Wearing a shower cap while the treatment is in will help with that; just make sure it's pulled down far enough to cover your hairline. :)

Laurenji
April 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all your great ideas! I'm definitely going to have to try some of these when I have a little more time on my hands (it's finals season at my university right now :headache: so that doesn't leave me much time for anything except studying...)

Last night I did try and do a heavy EVOO oiling, which I left overnight and followed up with a CO wash this morning. It seemed to work pretty well (though I think my CO technique needs work). I can't wait to try some of these other things and see if they work.

Carolyn
April 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
A deep treatment for me would be to oil my hair heavily before I go to bed and in the morning "wash" it out with a SMT left on for at least an hour.

Kirin
April 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
If you aren't adverse to commercial deep treatments, some of them work swimmingly.

Hot Oil Treatements: These either come in a tube with a snap cap (queen helene, V05) that you warm the tube in a cup of hot water and apply to head and then use a processing cap for 1/2 hour to an hour. Some are in bottles, You'd have to measure some out in a cup and warm it in the micro, same thing apply and put on a processing cap. Most oils, but not all may need shampoo to wash out (queen helene doesn't in my opinion). Hot oil treatments can also be done with natural whole oils, olive, sweet almond, coconut oil to name a few. These will definately need to be washed out.

Cholesterol Treatments: Queen Helene makes one, but my favorite is Softee brand if you can find it. The reason I prefer it is it rinses out completely clean without need to shampoo. It is a buttery or peachy colored cream, apply to hand and work into a foamy cream, put on a processing cap and leave it on about an hour. Out of all the treatments I've used, including SMT, this is my favorite and gives consistent results.

Commercial Conditioning Packs: These can be gotten at walmart, the supermarket occassionally, and of course hair supply stores like sally's. The upside is they are easy to use and plentiful, no mixing involved. The downside is, you have to read lables carefully to avoid ingredients you dont want.

Mix your own: Any conditioner you currently own can be turned into a wonderful deep treatment. Start with 1/2 cup of your favorite conditioner, then add things that are moisturizing. Its your chance to become a mad hair scientist! a teaspoon of your favorite oil, vegetable glycerine, honey, molassas, dissolved sugar, aloe vera to name a few. Wether or not you need to wash will depend what you are putting in there, but a mix can be used as a deep treatment for an hour or so under a processing cap. The rule i advise is, if an ingredient irritates your skin, or burns your mouth, don't use it, otherwise you should be okay!

Hope that helps.

ungratefulgirl
April 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
The new thing I'm going to try (when I get to it), is coconut oil. Someone I know bought some and I'm going to convince her to let me use it;)

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I still do my hot oil treatments by her way (http://video.about.com/beauty/How-to-Make-Hot-Oil-Treatment.htm) (I leave the rosemary leave out though and I don't follow the measurement or the times, but it's a good start).
I also written down (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=38603) (so I won't forget :p) how I do my sort-of-SMT treatment (I don't use aloe), it's pretty in detail but if you have any question you are welcomed to ask of course.