PDA

View Full Version : MSM side effects?

Fairlight63
April 9th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I started taking 1,000 mg MSM in Feb. Lately I have noticed that my legs hurt, feels like they are swollen & painful. They really hurt when I go up & down stairs. They even hurt when I would touch them.
I thought that I would quit taking it to see if it is causing the pain. So I have not taken it for a couple of days & the pain is better today. I thought that MSM was supposed to be good for arthritis.
I was wondering if anyone else has had any bad side effects with MSM?

SleepySin
April 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I don't personally take nor know anyone who takes MSM regularly.

From what I've gathered about MSM, there don't seem to be any apparent side effects that include pain in any body part like you've described. Seeing that your dosage is within (actually, under) the recommended dosage, it can't be an overdose. Even then, you're basically just taking a supplemental source of amino acids (other examples would include methionine or cysteine) so I'd rule that out. Unless of course your body is hypersensitive to that particular amino acid by some bizarre chance (highly unlikely).

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking? Perhaps the pain could be correlating with something else and it could be a mere coincidence with the MSM intake? Also, have you had any recent surgeries/accidents?

Also, for further reading and researching, I've come across this site a few months ago and have found it very helpful. It not only describes a condition, it also includes home remedies and lots of user input (at least for the conditions I looked up) so you can read about other people's experience with that particular remedy: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Arthritis.html

Good luck!

Fairlight63
April 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Thank you for your reply!
I am 64 & with arthritis, verclose veins & over weight, so that probably explains a lot of the pain problems.
Thank you for the link, it looks very interesting. I put it into my favorites to read it more throughly.

Thank you for you help!

morguebabe
April 10th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I got wicked bad migraines from it.