PDA

View Full Version : Hair washing and Celebs

misspriss
April 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I have always felt a little odd explaining my hair washing habits to non-LHCers. You get weird looks, like I told the girl I sit next to in class today that I don't use shampoo, just conditioner, she thought it was the weirdest thing I could say. I didn't have the guts to tell her I haven't washed my hair in a week! (She actually complimented my style when I got to school this morning). But anyway, this is not my point.

I have read more and more about celebrities not washing their hair, or washing very seldomly. People who are paid for their appearance, don't wash their hair very often. I have heard about Robert Pattinson, Johnny Depp, Jessica Simpson, etc. Not washing their hair often. The report I read about Jessica said it was after the advice of her stylist, Ken Paves. Anyway, I am SHOCKED at the amount of negative reactions this gets. All the websites that report these interviews rip them apart for not washing their hair.

I don't know, I just never read any of this before, and I just started noticing these things. I find the reactions shockingly negative, when most other things celebrities do 'cool'.

Anyway, on another note, 7 full days is the longest I have gone without washing my hair. I did a WO wash (rinse really, not wash) one night, but that doesn't count for me really. I just took a bath and massaged the head. I think my hair is getting LESS greasy looking than it was a few days ago. I mean, I don't find that odd, seeing is how it is what I expected, I just didn't think I'd notice it so soon. I am not stopping washing my hair, but I have been trying to lengthen the time between washes for a while.

I know we've had posts about people's "idea" of clean, but I am still shocked at the reactions people have to the idea that people don't wash their hair.

earthdancer
April 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I can remember when women usually washed their hair only once a week (Friday or Saturday was "hair washing night". Damaging perms were the norm and shampoos were very harsh; when shampoos came out that could be used on a daily basis it was a really big deal!

I know women my age who don't even seem to remember that time, even though I can even remember the movies and TV shows where an actress would mention that such and such a night was when she washed her hair, and I also remember the commercials for the new gentle shampoos. My mother (who permed and bleached her own hair) thought that if you washed it more than once a week it would ruin your hair. Poor woman was completely in the dark about a daughter with extremely oily virgin hair. We went round and round about it all during my teen years.

lady_of_shallot
April 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
how does conditionar clean your hair? I would like to do it if I could! And how aften do you massage your head?

Kirin
April 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I personally, like clean washed hair....... on myself. I really really couldn't give a hoot how often someone else washes theirs. If it works for them, thats great. How the hair looks, smells, and all that plays a big part.

morguebabe
April 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I find maybe 1 out 5 people agree with me on my once a week or twice a week washing. I also find that black women agree with me more than do 'white' women.
shurgs...whatever i was going to write sounded much more thought out in my head then is coming out so I'm stopping.

misspriss
April 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
how does conditionar clean your hair? I would like to do it if I could! And how aften do you massage your head?

Oh goodness what a question! If you look up "conditioner only" washing, or CO washing, you will find a LOT of information on the boards.

Generally, I just smear Suave (suave naturals) conditioner on my head, let it set for about 10 minutes, massage my scalp, and rinse. Suave is good because it is light, and contains no sillicones. I don't know the specifics of how it works, but it does. I'll go fetch some links for you.

RoseRedDead
April 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Frankly, I don't care what other people do to their hair, so long as they don't force it on me... I've also learned not to volunteer information about my personal hygiene to others save for those on this forum. ;) Tends to freak the "normies" out.

misspriss
April 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Frankly, I don't care what other people do to their hair, so long as they don't force it on me... I've also learned not to volunteer information about my personal hygiene to others save for those on this forum. ;) Tends to freak the "normies" out.

I'm very careful what kind of "normies" I share my info with, sometimes it goes over well, sometimes it doesn't.

camirra555
April 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I find maybe 1 out 5 people agree with me on my once a week or twice a week washing. I also find that black women agree with me more than do 'white' women.
shurgs...whatever i was going to write sounded much more thought out in my head then is coming out so I'm stopping.

It's true black women tend to wash their hair less frequently than white women.

I have curls and they only look fresh if they've been wet. That's why co washing has been so great for me. I can wash my hair 2-3 times a week and it wont dry out. When I washed with shampoos I would do it once a week

Carolyn
April 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Unless you are specifically asked for details of how you care for and clean your hair, why are you talking about it? If you are doing something that isn't the norm, I've found it's best to keep mum. Then you don't have all that 'splainin' to do ;) The average person is not going to "get" LHC hair care methods. Don't volunteer information unless asked and even then not too much. Most people will just think you are bonkers.

misspriss
April 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Unless you are specifically asked for details of how you care for and clean your hair, why are you talking about it? If you are doing something that isn't the norm, I've found it's best to keep mum. Then you don't have all that 'splainin' to do ;) The average person is not going to "get" LHC hair care methods. Don't volunteer information unless asked and even then not too much. Most people will just think you are bonkers.

Because I guess college girls talk about it? The subject came up, starting with the rainy weather, curly/waviness, then what kind of shampoo you use for your dry scalp...it came up in Advanced Tax somehow. Also, if everyone else talks about their hair care, I'm not gonna keep my mouth shut, I like to talk...

Torrin Paige
April 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I only wash mine every 4-5 days (I try to make it every 7 in the winter if I can) and I only tell people that when they ask me. It usually starts out like, "Wow, your hair is so long isn't it hard to deal with?" I always just say, nope, not at all. Then I get, "But it's healthy. Why is it so healthy?" So I ask them do they really want to know...and proceed to explain to them what I do to maintain. I get some odd looks sometimes, but a few have taken heed and their hair has thanked them for it. I just don't volunteer unless asked...and I've realized that my hair routine isn't nearly as weird as washing/curling/blowdrying/straightening/gelling/mousse-ing/spraying everyday like some of them do. Can you imagine waking up 3 hours early just to deal with your hair? Yikes!

Roseate
April 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I've actually never gotten a bad reaction when telling people how seldom I wash my hair (once a week). I only tell people if they say something like "Your hair looks great! What do you do to it?", don't generally volunteer it in general conversation.

What I do usually get from people, though, is an immediate reaction about the reasons they could never, never wash their hair so seldom. It's odd, because I never say "I wash once a week, and you should too!". No washing schedule works for everyone, and I'm not looking for recruits.

Unofficial_Rose
April 10th, 2009, 04:50 AM

So true. A friend of mine with bleached, flat-ironed hair (she looks beautiful btw) said "How do you get your hair so shiny?" and I explained a little, sent her a link to this site, described SMTs and oiling. Nope, zip, no further response from her! I didn't say she should stop bleaching it or washing it! Shame really as a few changes could make a big difference. People will ask for advice when basically they have no intention of doing anything different.:confused: Maybe they just subconsciously want to be told to continue as they were?

Gothic Lolita
April 10th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I've one friend who washes like me (every second day). We both were daily washers but then I told her about that being harsh for the hair and that less washing works out good for some people. I told her a bit about this site and now she washes less and is very happy with this.
But she's the only one I told this as everybody else I know would find putting oil or just condish on very gross.

pdy2kn6
April 10th, 2009, 05:25 AM
i know exactly what you mean, when i tell my mum how often i wash my hair (maybe once a week or every 8 days or so) she is disgusted, and tells me off. haha. i think it's just people who don't understand true haircare who are the judgemental ones

noelgirl
April 10th, 2009, 05:57 AM

I've found that to be true, too. Actually, I have a black coworker who compares my hair to her son's hair, since her son is mixed (black and Indian) and has very similar hair to mine. So she gets the not washing it every day, the protective updos (she braids his hair), all of it. But then, anyone with straight hair sees my hair as very different from theirs, too, so they figure that whatever I'm doing is because my hair is "curly" (it's more wavy) and don't really question it.

JamieLeigh
April 10th, 2009, 06:04 AM
It really is amazing what you can let yourself get by with when you actually start paying attention to what is good for your hair, instead of relying on what people might think of you. The longest I've made it without washing is 5 days so far, but that's just personal preference - when it gets to where I don't even want to touch it, it's time for me to wash! It's tough for celebs, because they're making a living on what people think of them - I honestly don't feel that I could live in the limelight and be truly happy, for just that reason. :rolleyes: I've never been good at doing what people expect me to.

JamieLeigh
April 10th, 2009, 06:09 AM
People will ask for advice when basically they have no intention of doing anything different.:confused: Maybe they just subconsciously want to be told to continue as they were?

I think you've hit on a good point. A lot of people don't really want advice - they just want to be validated. And when you tell them you're doing something different from the popular choice, it makes them feel uncomfortable.

Copasetic
April 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I never tell people how often I wash my hair. I remember having a disucssion about hair washing with some friends, and one friend said that not washing your hair every day is gross. I told her that I hadn't washed my hair in about three days and she said couldn't tell, but that it was still gross. :confused:

I think a lot of people just get accustomed to the idea that you need to wash your hair every single day.

Eireann
April 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I read an interview with Brooke Shields once (it might even have been on this site) in which she said that she gets her hair professionally washed an blown out once a week, and in between she might use dry shampoo on the roots if necessary, but that's it.

ilovelonghair
April 10th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I have read more and more about celebrities not washing their hair, or washing very seldomly. People who are paid for their appearance, don't wash their hair very often. I have heard about Robert Pattinson, Johnny Depp, Jessica Simpson, etc. Not washing their hair often. The report I read about Jessica said it was after the advice of her stylist, Ken Paves. Anyway, I am SHOCKED at the amount of negative reactions this gets. All the websites that report these interviews rip them apart for not washing their hair.

Any examples? I haven't read anything like that yet. It's strange, people often do find hair 'dirty', I don't understand why.
I wash my hair regularly, but wouldn't if it didn't get greasy quickly. My guy sometimes doesn't wash his hair for 2 weeks, but that's no problem; he has very dry hair, so he shouldn't wash that often. There was a time he washed it daily, it gave him a really painful bleeding (!) scalp, so I told him not to do that anymore!

myotislucifugus
April 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I was just reading this fashion article where it appears that slightly "dirty" hair is the new way to wear your hair. Not sure how I feel about hair that is supposed to be greasy-looking, but anything that gets me into fewer odd conversations is fine by me.

Eireann
April 10th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I was just reading this fashion article where it appears that slightly "dirty" hair is the new way to wear your hair. Not sure how I feel about hair that is supposed to be greasy-looking, but anything that gets me into fewer odd conversations is fine by me.

I was surfing the web for hair products, and saw one that was advertized to give you the "second day dirty" look. I thought that was hilarious. Instead of just not washing your hair at all (which is free), you buy and expensive shampoo to wash it with, and then put an expensive product in it to make it look like you didn't wash it. :rolleyes: The sad part is, a lot of people fall for it!

misspriss
April 10th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Any examples? I haven't read anything like that yet. It's strange, people often do find hair 'dirty', I don't understand why.
I wash my hair regularly, but wouldn't if it didn't get greasy quickly. My guy sometimes doesn't wash his hair for 2 weeks, but that's no problem; he has very dry hair, so he shouldn't wash that often. There was a time he washed it daily, it gave him a really painful bleeding (!) scalp, so I told him not to do that anymore!

Just Google Robert Pattinson Hygiene, you'll find interviews all over and stuff about his hair washing habits (and deoderant wearing, but...) That is where I found Johnny Depp, although it was referring to a time in the past when he didn't wash his hair. I looked for more info on him and I couldn't find any. I just googled Jessica Simpson hair washing. I tried to just find anything, but I got hair cuts and hair styles, but not hair washing.

Eireann
April 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Just Google Robert Pattinson Hygiene, you'll find interviews all over and stuff about his hair washing habits (and deoderant wearing, but...) That is where I found Johnny Depp, although it was referring to a time in the past when he didn't wash his hair. I looked for more info on him and I couldn't find any. I just googled Jessica Simpson hair washing. I tried to just find anything, but I got hair cuts and hair styles, but not hair washing.

I found some stuff about Jessica Simpson, but I won't post the links because a lot of the comments are not appropriate for a "family" board like TLHC. Her stylist says she only washes her hair once or twice a month. Most of the comments were of the usual "ew gross" variety, but one that made me laugh said: "This isn't true. She must wash her hair. It's so shiny and pretty!" Hmmm. . . :rolleyes:

shaybabe8604
April 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM
It's funny that as a child it never occured to me that washing your hair only once per week (or every other week when I'm feeling lazy) was "odd". I went to private school with a predominately white student body, but I guess those things just never came up in conversation. It was a surprise to me when I found out later on that many of my friends washed their hair every or every other day. I think that it is common for the masses to follow a specific pattern just because of societal norm without researching it in terms of hair and other things... (I think I'm rambling, so I will stop now)

Forever_Sophie
April 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I found some stuff about Jessica Simpson, but I won't post the links because a lot of the comments are not appropriate for a "family" board like TLHC. Her stylist says she only washes her hair once or twice a month. Most of the comments were of the usual "ew gross" variety, but one that made me laugh said: "This isn't true. She must wash her hair. It's so shiny and pretty!" Hmmm. . . :rolleyes:

That gave me a heads up on what to search for: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=jessica+simpson+wash+hair+twice+month&meta=&aq=f&oq=

That should be safe (apologies if not!). Thanks for starting this thread, it interests me.

I now wash mine 2x/wk, Wed. & Sun., and the 4 day stretch to Sunday is always so hard! It, of course, depends on what I'm doing, b/c if I have to be out and it isn't clean enough, I'd definitely wash it. Updos don't hide greasy roots IME...

shayly-fyanna
April 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I understand MissPriss, people at work always ask me why i always wear a bun or braid, and why they never see my hair wet. i always explain my routine as simply as possible and smile. most at work think i am very weird because i wash once a week with Poo and condish, then try to do a CO once a week in between washes. but some people always will think it is very bad to not wash daily. I just smile and continue with work.

I agree about the celebs, i personally love Johnny Depp's hair, it always looks great. and the other celebs hair looks good too. I know Angelina Jolie does this also, wash her hair about twice a week. I heard somewhere that she does some CO in winter. but don't believe me, just a rumor i've heard. and her hair is beautiful.

HairColoredHair
April 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I've always heard that slightly dirty hair photographs better (shinier, I guess), so if I was a celeb, I'd probably not wash as often either...

Forever_Sophie
April 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Forgot to add, I read somewhere that Britney advised her younger sister to darken her hair (like Britney at the time) b.c it hides greasiness better (though, as a brunette, I can't vouch for that LOL).

funnybunny668
April 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I totally agree, I don't usually mention my routine. There are a few I'll talk with, but not many.

SimplyLonghair
April 10th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Forgot to add, I read somewhere that Britney advised her younger sister to darken her hair (like Britney at the time) b.c it hides greasiness better (though, as a brunette, I can't vouch for that LOL).
Having blonder hair when younger I can speak to this, it is that blonde hair is darker when dirty so it shows more. So brunette shows dirt less in that way, it doesn't darken.:D

Forever_Sophie
April 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Having blonder hair when younger I can speak to this, it is that blonde hair is darker when dirty so it shows more. So brunette shows dirt less in that way, it doesn't darken.:D

Ahh, the shade changes, I had no idea! Thanks :) See, I was just thinking oily roots are oily roots LOL

misspriss
April 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Yes, brunette does hide oil better, but really dark does best. Mine doesn't really look too oily when it's oily, just shinier.

RancheroTheBee
April 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
It kind of makes me laugh when people are all, "No shampoo?! Oh, my! Oh, goodness! How horrible!" My mother hasn't used shampoo in years. Nor has she brushed it or used a comb, and her hair curls perfectly. Come to think of it, she's more LHC with her hair than I am. :hmm:

Where was I? Right. Celebrities. Okay, honestly, I have heard the kinds of things their hair goes through; dye, bleach, heat-styling, to name a few. No wonder some of them cut down on washing.

ungratefulgirl
April 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I'm finally starting to was with only conditioner. The thing is, I want to slowly wean off the shampoo, so I'm washing three times a week for now and using only conditioner the other days. I have oily hair, but I'm surprised at how my hair is not very greasy at all. Just mildy lank.

rose_in_bloom
April 11th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I can't believe people would bash other people for not washing their hair. :eek: Seriously, what business is it of theirs??

CaliRose
April 11th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I mentioned something about my hair habits and someone said "A girl once told me she doesn't wash her hair with shampoo anymore! Have you heard of that?" (This was a friendly question, not a shocked exclamation.) So naturally I replied, "Of course, I know TONS of people who use that method!" ;)

CaliRose
April 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM
And now that I've looked up some of those articles, I have to admit that this quote made me laugh:

"I have my hair for just, you know, hanging out on my head. I don't care if it's clean or not."

wendyg
April 11th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I sat next to a hair stylist on a plane once (20 years ago or more) and she told me most people's hair looks better the second day after a wash than the first.

AIUI, the hair people on set for TV and movies prefer the cast's hair not to be too clean because whatever they do to it is less likely to get messy during and between takes. And given the amount of hair and makeup primping actresses have to do during shoots, I'm not surprised if in between they just can't be bothered to do much.

wg

enfys
April 11th, 2009, 12:34 PM
If at least day-old hair doesn't look better, why are products sold by celbraity hairdresers to give it that look?

I hope the celebs lead the way.

Until then I can't talk to normal people about hair much haha.