PDA

View Full Version : To my fine haired sisters and brothers,

ravenreed
April 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
My hair is what I consider on the thick side of medium coarseness. I have a cluster of very fine hairs at the nape of my neck. If I am going to have breakage or laws-of-physics breaking tangle, it happens there. The hairs are much shorter than the rest of my hair, maybe 12 inches or more, and I can only assume it is from breakage, since I am not doing anything differently to my hair there and haven't been wearing necklaces for a long time.

I just wanted to empathize a bit, I guess. If all my hair acted like those naughty fine hairs, I would be very, very frustrated!

Anje
April 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Nape hairs are often a pain, fine or not. For quite a few of us, they're curlier, too, and tend to tie into knots.

GlassEyes
April 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
That's where the majority of my fine-ness is.

AND YAY, SOMEONE PUT BROTHERS IN THE TITLE THIS TIME. :D

JamieLeigh
April 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hear, hear. I classified myself as F/M, because I'm on the finer side of medium (if that makes sense lol), but most of the finer hairs are at my nape and temples. And yes they are spiral-curly, and IRRITATING as hell. :rolleyes:

Natalia
April 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Awww im sorry for your fustration but as a super fine its nice to be aknowleged. To your credit though im sure your hair is beautiful and if it were me id have the worst time dealing with curls! I adore the look but i am a hair toucher i cant stand it when i curl (no heat methods) and cant have my finger sin my hair! Bad habit but luckly i only have one wavy spot that gived me alot of trouble. Once i get rid of these damaged ends that will be my major battle and if thats alli have to deal with i dont mind :)

Roseate
April 9th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hey, you finehairs may get tangles and flyaways, but at least you get a helping of extrasoft smoothness too! My hair feels like wire compared to y'all. I have finer patches at my temples, and I absentmindedly stroke them often... soft!:kitten:

zombi
April 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I'm a superfine person myself... for me the most annoying thing is that not only is my hair superfine, but it's also terribly thin as well! It often seems limp and lifeless. It also breaks super easy!

I'm a hair toucher, too.

Natalia
April 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Oh zombi wew sisters! My pony is like an inch around i swear. Every person who has ever gotten a close look at my hair said theyve never seen someone with such thin baby hair! My breakage is aweful in my length from dying and such so i completly understand your dilema :)

OhioLisa
April 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM
It's normal for nape hairs to be a different texture and much shorter than the rest of our hair. It's not necessarily damage, just annoying. ;)

GlennaGirl
April 9th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I don't like the hair-in-the-necklace thing (ow) but I confess that I love having fine hair! :) I love how angel-soft it is. It feels like a gift.

My nape hairs do sometimes tangle, but the rest doesn't, so it must be where it's placed and the shortness that does it.

ravenreed
April 9th, 2009, 10:08 PM
They are definitely softer than the rest of my hair! When I "pet" my hair, it is usually a lock from the very nape.

I trimmed an errant hair from my mom tonight. WOW! She has THE most delicate hair I have ever seen. She has thinning hair and fine hair. She is very, very frustrated.

SleepySin
April 9th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I love to play with my nape hairs too. I never actually thought about it until coming across this thread. I suppose it's somewhat subconscious hair-twirlage :hmm:

Arctic_Mama
April 10th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Fine hair has its' advantages, but it is a lot more delicate than a courser hairtype. But hey, the grass is always greener.

LifeisAdventure
April 10th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Awww, thanks for reaching out with the empathy ravenreed! I am one of the fine hairs who constantly battles the Tangle Beast and it's definitely a trial. It's slightly comforting to know that even the coarse hairs aren't completely immune, even though I hope you continue to grow long and beautiful! :)

zombi
April 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Oh zombi wew sisters! My pony is like an inch around i swear. Every person who has ever gotten a close look at my hair said theyve never seen someone with such thin baby hair! My breakage is aweful in my length from dying and such so i completly understand your dilema :)
tee hee! hair sisters!
i swear my ponytail is the same! people always say how tiny it is, which make my inner self feel bad!! at least i know i'm not the only one!

Natalia
April 10th, 2009, 05:54 PM
tee hee! hair sisters!
i swear my ponytail is the same! people always say how tiny it is, which make my inner self feel bad!! at least i know i'm not the only one!

Awww im with you there. Its not so much the fine hair comments that hurt it the "your hair is so fine it would look LOADS better short" :( thats the one that makes me want to cry....then deck em! So you certainly not alone!

Flynn
April 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hahaha, yeah, I'm a fine-hair who wears collared shirts all the time. Guess why my hair is always in a braid. *Laughs* I get your nape-tangles all the way down my ponytail.

Fine hair is nice, though. For that brief while after brushing, it feels so soft...