PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of me with and without fringe.

Paniscus
April 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
So, in the last two nights, I have come extremely close to grabbing the scissors (probably not sharp ones either) and cutting some fringe. I feel like I need a hair change. I DO NOT want layers. I DO NOT want to cut short. I just want something different. I've been doing henna glossings, so I don't really want a color change. Most of my life, my brothers teased me about my high forehead. They would cover their eyes, as if they were being blinded, and say the sun was glaring from my noggin. Nice, eh? :rolleyes: You can actually see the glare on my forehead here. (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/Paniscus/4grade.jpg) :D

So here's the deal. Should I snip my own hair? Let a professional do it? Stay with the all one length hair? I LOVE the idea of all one length hair, I really do. I work as a Great Ape keeper, which is challenging and very physical work, so it's nice and easy to just pull it all back off my face.

However, I am thinking that I could really enjoy some bangs; some short hair, if you will, to play with and be flirty with (not that you can't be flirty with long hair, of course). I know I can do different styles etc., but that's not what I *think* I want. Not sure exactly what type of fringe to get though. I figured I'd start long and work my way up (literally). I guess in a nutshell, now that I'm getting older, I look in the mirror and see what my brothers saw as a child. I am feeling like maybe I would look my best with bangs.

What do you guys think? The first picture was taken a few months back. The second picture is an older, cam picture, hence the poor quality. But you can see my face with fringe. Granted, I'm about 6 years younger in that picture and my hair is in an updo. Probably not the best comparison, but it's what I have.

Any thoughts??

Picture taken a few months back. (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/Paniscus/IMG_1159.jpg)

Quickcam picture with fringe. (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/Paniscus/Picture15.jpg)

mellie
April 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I like your photo without fringe better. :-)

Mary <><
April 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Me too, no fringe is better! But both are very cute! ;)

morningstar
April 3rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Both are cute on your pretty face. I really think you can do both.

morningstar
April 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
I want to add this thought. I have long bangs and I cut them myself. They are long so I am not trying for perfectly straight ones. I also was reading in a mag. that many ladies that love bangs can gel them back and or use clips to hold them out of the way when they want another look. As a Great Ape keeper this may be too complicated. (Wow what an occupation :bigeyes:)
Your henna looks very pretty.

GlassEyes
April 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I like the fringe, but your face is pretty without it too.

I just like bangs. XD

minkstole
April 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Iīm partial to bangs - mostly because with wavy-hair I canīt have them myself, he he.

Lamb
April 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
I vote for no fringe. You have a perfectly harmonious face, and a very pretty forehead! Don't hide it!

intothemist1999
April 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Picture taken a few months back. (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/Paniscus/IMG_1159.jpg)

Quickcam picture with fringe. (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/Paniscus/Picture15.jpg)

I have a very high forehead, too, but you have a much nicer hairline! :)

I like the fringed picture, personally. Then again, it might have to do with the overall style there, too.

Got any programs on your computer you could add a "faux fringe" :D to get the idea what you'd look like now?

Rosemary
April 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I like the fringe. I think it makes you look younger. JMO:)

Paniscus
April 3rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone thus far for the input and the kind words. Sigh. I'm so torn. I know cutting bangs can't be that big of a deal, I mean, they would grow back out. Faux fringe? I tried that once... not with a program on my computer... but with the comb over :) (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/Paniscus/IMG_0340.jpg)

Ugh. I just don't know what to do!

filiadeluna
April 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
I like the fringe. I think it makes you look younger. JMO:)

I agree that it makes you look younger, but I like the look either way. I also have a long forehead, but haven't had bangs in 12 years. It's a dillema for me, because if I got even slight bangs again I'd lose what little volume I have to my hair.

Paniscus
April 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Well, the picture of me with the fringe is around 6 years old, so I was younger. Do you think fringe makes a person look younger though overall? I've heard it both ways, some say bangs make you look older? I guess it would depend on the person. Honestly though, if I thought fringe would make me appear younger... I'd start choppin' now! Hmmmm... decisions.:brickwall

ETA: the picture was taken around 6 years ago... hehehe.. sounded like I was 6 years old. :doh:

BrianaFineHair
April 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I heard on a tv make-over show that bangs give a younger appearance. I don't know about that though. True, you can always grow them out. Since you are still undecided - I'd say give it a while and mull it over more.

Paniscus
April 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Yes, I know. The two week rule. I just have that spontaneous personality, I get an itch to do something and BAM, it's done. Lots of regrets in my life :)

Actually, coming to LHC and posting this thread is probably going to be very helpful in making me stick with the two week rule thing. Glad I decided to post! I love LHC :cloud9:

filiadeluna
April 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
I would think bangs would make most people look younger, but it depends on the style/thickness of the bangs too I suppose. Side note: you rarely see anyone with bangs these days... it was so commonplace in the 80s LOL.

I noticed you are in TN! So am I! Yay for all that humidity to frizz up our hair, right? :rolleyes: ;)

spidermom
April 3rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
I like with fringe best.

lora410
April 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I like it better without bangs, and you do not have a big forehead!

Blueglass
April 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
I think the pic without fringe is the better pic. A fringe doesn't have to be bangs. It could be face framing layers.

chloeishere
April 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I think you look very nice both ways-- and I definitely don't think your forehead is at all out of proportion!

I definitely prefer without fringe, but that's a personal thing. I really do think you look better without, though. Some people look good without, some people look good with, and some people look good either way-- you look good either way, but better without, IMO.

However, I hated having fringe, so as a result, in cases where people look good both ways, I alwasy go for "no fringe!" It gets greasy, you have to clean it twice as often to make it look good, you constantly have to trim it or have it fall into your eyes, etc. I have wavy hair, so it always ended up trying to wave, and I'd have to wash it every day or else leave it and have it look bad (and I chose the second option far too often).
If you want flirty hair around your face, what about a few face framing layers (just around the face)? That's what I plan on doing when I get considerably longer. It'll soften up the look without dealing with my hair in my face and bugging me all the time, since I plan to have it long enough that I can still pull it back if necessary.

Gaelic Girl
April 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I've had bangs since I was 6. Still...your no fringe pics is awesome!

longhairedfairy
April 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
I like without bangs, but I think wispy fringe would also look good or a little layering just around the face.
Your henna looks very pretty :)

Ninika
April 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I really like both looks on you. If you feel like you want a change I'd say definitely go for bangs.

curly2
April 4th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I think I like the fringe the best

far_away
April 4th, 2008, 03:39 AM
And I prefer your picture without bangs - but then again I have avoided a fringe since I was a little girl and I have the mega-forehead of doom - see my profile pic.

I prefer layered hair without the fringe and I think your combover looked pretty too.

Emme76
April 4th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I like the fringe!!! But you also look cute without! You can go either way! But also it would look cute with a bit longer fringe...so you can tuck it behind your ear, and just have a tiny bit that is a bit shorter...hehehhe...like this pic I found but without all the layers:D!!! Just an idea!!!!!! What every you do, I am sure it will look great!!!/Emmehttp://www.hairuwear.com/ProdImages/Lrelentless.jpg

Jason
April 4th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I prefer your hair without the fringe but if you really feel a need for a change, I would think going the bangs route is better than layering as you said.

DavidN
April 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Hi Paniscus, your hair looks great both with and without the bangs, although I tend to favour your hair without he fringe. The choice really has to be up to you.

goodenough
April 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I like the bangs. I just think it's cuter. (Full disclosure--I don't look good with them so I'm living through you!)

Paniscus
April 4th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks again everyone for the comments. You've given me some food for thought. I kind of assumed there would be more people saying go for bangs (the forehead thing). So it surprises me and makes me feel good to know that I do look *ok* sans bangs as well (some of my insecurities showing. . .)

I'm going to wait out the two weeks and see how I feel then. If I cut, I'll be sure to post new pictures!

Thanks again all-- I really do love this place :grouphug:

Islandgrrl
April 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I vote no fringe. I think the fringe closes off your face too much.

happylynngilmer
April 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
You have gorgeous eyes!

I vote fringe, too.

jojo
April 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
i think you suit it both ways, you have a pretty face and the fringe makes your eyes pop! yet the no fringe shows off your good bone structure, how about a compromise and get a side swept fringe, this way if you regret it it wont take as long to grow and if you love it you can always get them cut shorter? just a thought!

EvilPigeon
April 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I think the fringe looks very nice :) I like it alot.

yogachic
April 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I like the No Fringe!

Caldonia Sun
April 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Love the fringe!

MermaidGirl
April 6th, 2008, 08:38 PM
... I'd say give it a while and mull it over more.

Good advice to you, Paniscus, but whatever you do, just don't get a mullet! (Ok, bad joke, insert groan here!)

First off, you have a beautiful forehead! Women throughout history have tweezed and shaved their hairlines to achieve higher foreheads because they are seen as an asset to beauty.

Second, I can see your dilemma, because you really do look beautiful both with AND without the bangs! Truthfully, I really like the "comb-over" bangs because they are quite modern looking. One of the girls in my office has at-shoulder-length hair, and really long bangs that she parts deeply on the side and sweeps over her forehead, tucking them behind her ear - it really is a very pretty look and one you could easily pull off! Of course all one-length hair is lovely, but bangs add a nice element to your style. I do think in general they make women look younger and make the eyes stand out more.

Also, bangs grow SO FAST! I can only keep my bangs about 3 weeks before I need to cut them again, but my hair tends to grow fairly fast. So, if you cut the bangs and decide against them, they will grow out before you know it.

I guess I'm saying go with the bangs! :)

karenpetal
April 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I like it with the fringe it makes u look younger and fresh look - but on the other hand no fringe gives u amore mature confident look :)

shellblue1
April 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I like it without better. :)