PDA

View Full Version : Prescriptions that induce hair loss/thinning

morguebabe
April 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Is this the correct forum? If not please move it.

I have started some new mediences and I notice my crown/band area is thinner and I see more scalp than normally I do.

I just thought maybe we could talk about certain meds that cause shedding..and are there alernatives to them? I know some of you may not want to share what you take but theres are the ones I am on.

Verapamil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verapamil)
zoloft - for PMS cramps NOT for depression ... I take either 50 or 100mg I have both
Advair - but I had to stop using it due to wicked headaches.

Do you think these may be contributing?

rags
April 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I have no idea if the ones you are taking could be contributing or not - I'm sorry. I generally either look mine up in the Merck manual or ask my physician.

I do know, as I was told by my dermatologist when consulting him about the major shed (half of my hair) caused by Elmiron, that Protonix (a fairly common drug used for acid reflux) can contribute to hair loss. My GP confirmed that one for me too. And yet, it's listed nowhere on the "side effects" thing they give you.

Tabitha
April 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM
When I was on Zoloft I did indeed notice a distinct increase in shedding, which stopped when I stopped the Zoloft. It also caused my lovelife to go down the pan.

longhairedfairy
April 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I use Zoloft and have no problems at all with shedding. I know some people have more shedding with Welbutrin, but I don't remember it doing anything except make me shaky. Some side effects will go away after you get used to the prescription, so it’s usually best to keep using them. If they continue for a long time or become really bothersome, then you should talk to your doctor about alternatives.

Anje
April 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I was just on Zoloft for the last month. I didn't notice increased shedding. That could be because I was distracted by the massive acne it gave me!!!! (Seriously, acne's a fairly rare side effect, but I just got switched to Prozac because of it. We'll see how this one goes.)

earthdancer
April 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Verapamil is known to induce hair loss in some people:

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-i03.html

The easiest way to find out if a medication is causing a particular side effect is to google it. In this case, type in Verapamil "hair loss" and you'll get the page above as well as many others. You can do the same with all of your medications.

My husband has been put on many different medications lately trying to find ones that control his blood pressure, so I google medications for side effects and drug interactions all the time. The doctor even tried to put him on a medication that the FDA and the Mayo Clinic didn't recommend, so that was a close call. He has a 3% chance of stroke; this medication has a 98% rate of serious, frequently deadly, side effects, according to the FDA! Lesson: do your own research, always.

Canarygirl
April 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM
antidepressants are known for this, but the one with the worst reputation for causing hair loss is buproprian (sp?) otherwise known as Wellbutrin. This is the med that started out as a stop-smoking drug--Zyban--then gained acceptance as an antidepressant. Anyway, I had a lot of hair loss while on that medication so I did some Googling and found a whole support group for people experiencing hair loss while on antidepressants.

ArienEllariel
July 21st, 2010, 12:39 PM
I'm terrified that Elmiron might cause hairloss for me.. I just now got my hair halfway decent looking and have trimmed out a lot of damage. Now, to be put on a medicine that could cause me to lose my hair or get bald patches is just so.. gahhh!! >:(

:P Sorry.. just annoyed is all.

HotRag
July 21st, 2010, 01:06 PM
I got hair loss from bupropion (wellbutrin, Voxra, Zyban).

I also took lamictal (lamotrigin) at the time, but had had that for a longer period without problems. To top that, I had had Prozac for eight years too.

Maybe the bupropion topped it off. Since I counted shedded hairs, I noticed right away that my statistics went weird. So after three months I understood that the meds could cause this.

12th September 2009 I stopped cold turkey with lamotrigin, bupropion, caffeine and nicotine. Prozac I kept on eating, but later on thought I should stop that too. It took some time to taper off since I got so bad electrical shocking sensations.

4 months after I stopped bupropion, my hair stopped falling. When the shed had it's worst two months, I lost 4 times the normal.

For me, I am much more depressed again, but refuse taking meds for that. For me, it is environmental causes to depression, so it feels wrong to just medicate. Maybe I can never get rid of this or change my life though.

I also got a much more energy when stopping the Prozac. I was very fatigued before, and now I am "just fatigued".

It's kind of frustrating to not know what is best to do. Overall, I feel better with better health now, but I am depressed.

From what I read, meds that is used if epileptic, can cause hair loss (lamotrigin is used for epilepsy and depression that keep on coming). Also meds that higher dopamine. Birth control pills can cause hair loss. And antidepressants as other wrote. If not responding well to Synthroid, it can cause more hypothyroid symptomes, iuncluding hair loss. This even if blood work is fine.

jackiesjottings
July 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
I have read that the Mirena coil can cause shedding.. which thankfully hasn't happened with me (touch wood).

Jezerellica
July 22nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
WHAT?!!! Why have I never thought of this? Mabey the texture of my hair is being compromised by all the RXs I'm on. Like, protonix, advair, singulair, etc...:confused:

Well, that would explain why I have to be super careful anytime I handle my hair! It is a wonder it is almost hip length considering. :violin:

I love the picture on LLL site of her hair holding up a pair of scissors!! Now THAT is some strong and amazingly beautiful hair. It was my goal, but perhaps it is not for all of us. :D

susiemw
August 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
My mother and I both got hair loss from a beta blocker: atenolol.

christine1989
August 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
I stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago while on vacation because I forgot and left it at home (oops!). To my dismay my hair began to shed quite a bit and it took a few weeks back on the pill to normalize it.

*Aoife*
August 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
When my brother was on Heparin his hair grew awfully and you can still see the damage. It is awful! I really hope that I'm never on it.

luxepiggy
August 4th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Concerta was awful for my hair (and the rest of me as well). Adderall XR is better, but I am definitely shedding more hair more frequently than I did before I took it (2 years ago) and my hair has lost the mirror sheen it used to have.

My doctor claims it's actually due to inadvertent reduction in caloric intake caused by the Adderall, but as I keep explaining to him, I haven't lost any weight, so I don't really think that's plausible :rolleyes:

Busybee
July 25th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I have no idea if the ones you are taking could be contributing or not - I'm sorry. I generally either look mine up in the Merck manual or ask my physician.

I do know, as I was told by my dermatologist when consulting him about the major shed (half of my hair) caused by Elmiron, that Protonix (a fairly common drug used for acid reflux) can contribute to hair loss. My GP confirmed that one for me too. And yet, it's listed nowhere on the "side effects" thing they give you.

I am new to this community, and am trying to find others who have experienced hair loss and thinning from meds. My hair death has been from 1yr+ of ELMIRON.:boohoo:

I am only 28, and have lost 1/2 my hair density. Breakage and hair loss is a daily thing for me. I just discovered it was the medicine doing it - so taking measures to switch to natural alternatives. But what now?? How to get my hair density back? Is it a lost cause?

Any advice or experience with aftermath ladies?

pocketsmall
July 25th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I was on seasonale bc and topamax for a few years (for migraines), both really damaged my hair, tons of shedding, breakage and I feel my hair just didn't grow as well, grew much thinner and it was more coarse.

Now that I've been med free for 5 months my hair is finally starting to grow like it used to before I ever went on medications. Remember that everyone reacts differently to medications, so you may not experience what someone will. Also combining medications creates new side effects. Talk to your doctor as soon as you start experience any type of side effect.

ilovelonghair
July 25th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Lamictal doesn't make my hair shed, I am already taking it for a couple of years. Cymbalta doesn't do it either. Lucky I haven't had any meds that cause hairloss. But I did have something in the past that caused massive weird brown blocthes on my face and it took years to get rid of that. can't remember the name of the medication though.

krissykins
July 25th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I am new to this community, and am trying to find others who have experienced hair loss and thinning from meds. My hair death has been from 1yr+ of ELMIRON.:boohoo:

I am only 28, and have lost 1/2 my hair density. Breakage and hair loss is a daily thing for me. I just discovered it was the medicine doing it - so taking measures to switch to natural alternatives. But what now?? How to get my hair density back? Is it a lost cause?

I too have lost tons of hair from a medication, though it is not the same one you were using.

First off, :grouphug: I'm sorry you've had to experience the trauma of losing hair. It sucks.

BUT THERE IS HOPE!

I found this thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=23598) (here is the current thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001) on the topic) and it gave me lots of hope. This thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1704863) has also helped me a lot.

I currently use castor oil mixed with almond oil and some essential oils to help increase thickness. When I had first joined LHC, I had previously gotten a haircut that thinned out my natural iii thickness, and castor oil was a lifesaver. This time around, I use essential oils and it definitely helps with growth. I also use Nightblooming's Triple Moon oil for the in between days.

I hope that helps. Good luck, welcome to LHC, and happy growing!

Busybee
July 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I too have lost tons of hair from a medication, though it is not the same one you were using.

First off, :grouphug: I'm sorry you've had to experience the trauma of losing hair. It sucks.

BUT THERE IS HOPE!

I found this thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=23598) (here is the current thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001) on the topic) and it gave me lots of hope. This thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1704863) has also helped me a lot.

I currently use castor oil mixed with almond oil and some essential oils to help increase thickness. When I had first joined LHC, I had previously gotten a haircut that thinned out my natural iii thickness, and castor oil was a lifesaver. This time around, I use essential oils and it definitely helps with growth. I also use Nightblooming's Triple Moon oil for the in between days.

I hope that helps. Good luck, welcome to LHC, and happy growing!

Wow - thanks for the links to the threads! I am wondering how to really administer the oils though.... a lot of the advice is to dilute them (how the Heck do you dilute an oil??)

So far, I am putting the tiniest amount of Fox's Condition creme recipe in my hair - and BAM - Oily central. The same goes for putting Coconut oil on the tips... within a few hours, it's like it seeped UP the strand, and made me a grease head, and the tips are still dry looking.

Going to read more about how to do this castor oil thing for thickness/ hair growth. Just struggling with my new no-cone methods. Any persoanl tips on application?

krissykins
July 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
As for diluting the essential oils--that means mixing them with a carrier oil such as jojoba, grapeseed, sunflower, etc. The EOs in Nightblooming's mix are diluted in sunflower, my personal favorite. :)

As for application for castor oil, there are several different options.

1) Applying with your fingers: dipping your fingers in the oil mixture, then massaging your scalp.
2) Dropper: fill an eyedropper with the oil mixture, then apply it to your scalp (I normally run the eyedropper along my scalp).
3) Cotton swab: dip a cotton swab in the oil mixture, then press it against your scalp.

As for coconut oil on your ends, it might be that your hair does not like protein. Coconut oil does not contain protein, but it has properties that help prevent protein loss, so many of us who have protein-sensitive hair try not to use it. This thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10971) may provide some insight on different oils you could use.

How are you applying Fox's conditioning cream? And how much? I wonder if we could change something to make your hair less oily. :hmm:

Busybee
July 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM
As for diluting the essential oils--that means mixing them with a carrier oil such as jojoba, grapeseed, sunflower, etc. The EOs in Nightblooming's mix are diluted in sunflower, my personal favorite. :)

As for application for castor oil, there are several different options.

1) Applying with your fingers: dipping your fingers in the oil mixture, then massaging your scalp.
2) Dropper: fill an eyedropper with the oil mixture, then apply it to your scalp (I normally run the eyedropper along my scalp).
3) Cotton swab: dip a cotton swab in the oil mixture, then press it against your scalp.

As for coconut oil on your ends, it might be that your hair does not like protein. Coconut oil does not contain protein, but it has properties that help prevent protein loss, so many of us who have protein-sensitive hair try not to use it. This thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10971) may provide some insight on different oils you could use.

How are you applying Fox's conditioning cream? And how much? I wonder if we could change something to make your hair less oily. :hmm:

Thanks for at least wanting to help.

A nickel size amount of Fox's cream in my palm - seems to heavy to really distribute through the hair, or even ends ... but more than that makes me a Grease bomb.

BTW - I bought Giovannis Direct Leave in yesterday - to see if I could try that as a "no cone" leave-in - aiming for light weight - Uggggh nevermind! :rolleyes:

Not as heavy as the Fox's but my hair feels waxy and has NO shine. Back to the store that goes.

Busybee
August 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM

Updating my own condition, now that I figured out how to post pics.
Thought I would show you ladies what the Elmiron did to my hair visually. http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6122/6005655591_5d33d06be2_z.jpg
Still have yet to find anyone to really talk about "medicine damage" aftermath, and how they got their density back....

Busybee
August 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Updating my own update (if anyone's interested)

I have new hair growth! So there is some hope for us medicinally damaged that my scalp is not dead - hahaha.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/6042638952_c14d326e0c.jpg

Not sure if it's the stopping of the meds, Castor oil scalp massages every 3 days, or taking Nettle 300mg twice daily.

Whichever it is, I am going to continue this new regimen, and hope that my hair starts to heal and continues to show this growth!!