PDA

View Full Version : starting from pixie

naturalme
April 9th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Hi all,

I was just reading hazelnut's "How did you grow it??" thread and I wondered if anyone had any advice for the "growing from pixie" type person - ie, me! :)

Much of the advice for hazelnut was to put up her hair and forget about it, which is great if you have hair! I ended up getting a trim this week (after a whole 7 weeks of growing! wooo... :rolleyes:) because I looked so untidy.

I don't have to look too glamorous at work, and I do have a few scarves, etc, but short of putting my head in a bag for the next six to twelve months :p what do you suggest? I am prepared to tough it out, but it would also help if I had something to think about/do while I looked like a scruff. Any ideas?

Thanks,
me.

Addy
April 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
All I can offer you is patience. Whatever you do, don't cut it because there is going to come a time when nothing you do will look good! It is just a stage and will pass quickly and you'll be happy you didn't give in to the scissors!

Good Luck. Growing out from such a short cut is difficult at best because there is nothing you can do but grow.

LutraLutra
April 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
All I can offer you is patience. Whatever you do, don't cut it because there is going to come a time when nothing you do will look good! It is just a stage and will pass quickly and you'll be happy you didn't give in to the scissors!

Good Luck. Growing out from such a short cut is difficult at best because there is nothing you can do but grow.

I totally agree. :agree:

What got me throught the first year from 1 inch hair to a kind of shaggy, layered bob was -

- telling myself that although the first stage of growth looked pretty horrible it was only going to last a few months

- focus on getting good condition. Healthy pixie = healthy longer hair

- hairclips are your friend

- I started out getting a trim every 5 weeks, then 6, then 7... you get the idea. Unless you're very brave I wouldn't go 'cold turkey' on regular trims. But that's IMO, some people don't cut for a year or more and are ok with it. My hair decided to grow into a massive mullet :rockerdud every few months, I didn't like it, so I cut.

- after the first year it gets a lot better. Honest.

- it'll all be worth it the day you can pull it back into a stubby ponytail.

Honestly, if I can grow out a pixie, anyone can grow out a pixie. :D

KajiKodomo
April 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I've grown out from pixie many times (and am in the process now). The best advice I have is to be patient. It will probably go through a few awkward stages, but in time it will get much easier. Good growing! :D

templeofvenus
April 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I have grown mine out from that style before from pixie to shoulder in a year and a half and no trims till it got there. Best advice perseverance not too many trims or it will just prolong the awkward stages! I tended to wear hairbands or a slide at the fringe area to pin it to the side, or tuck behind the ear etc you can get some lovely hairbands that look really dressy for going out in so why not give them a try! right now I am growing out a short bob and using hairbands again! good luck :)

Kirin
April 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I am growing out from a pixie, and right now am at an inch away from BSL after just over a year and a half. I have some tips for you, that may help on your journey.

When your hair is starting out this super short, do NOT trim, not even a little because its odd shaped. All this is going to do is make the uncomfortable growing out stages take longer. The trims you get for keeping it less "scraggly" will BE scraggly again in just a few weeks, and all you are doing is cutting off precious length.

The "put it up and forget it" or use little clips don't work here. You can't "Put up" ear length hair, and little clips can (in my instance definately) make you look like your trying to be 12. I found the "don't blow dry/style/use product" actually pretty useless advice, especially in the self confidence department.

Until your hair is long enough to tie back nicely, or use headbands on without it falling out all over the place, embrace the styling products. There's debate on this, but from my experience, continuing to blowdry, use hairspray and mousse and even curling irons at this stage was a lifesaver. It will keep you feeling good about yourself (isn't this what its all about??), and keep you from the frustration of chopping it off because it looks horrible. Just assume, in time, when your hair is much longer you will get trims to parts you may damage. Stop using products and blow driers etc. when your hair is long enough for you to be comfortable with in other styles.

You will at first, possibly like me, get a lot of "Oooooh, you need a trim BAD" comments as you grow out the pixie. Steel yourself for this, because it will come LOL. I highly suggest when your hair hits the shoulders, you may consider starting to get the "layers" trimmed out over time in dustings...... growing out a short pixie will leave you with more layers in weird angles than a razor cut.

Canarygirl
April 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
maybe we should have a photo contest for the absolute most awkward of awkward stages while growing out. I might win that contest. My hair is not only in many layers, the longest hasn't hit my shoulders yet, but my layers have all been texturized! :eek: The texture is very fine and every hair end, all over my head, sticks out in a little flip. I am a giant, walking fuzz ball.

I'm distracting myself by buying hair toys that my hair is too short to use! :D Truthfully, yesterday I was able to manage a half-up with the help of some hairspray on the top of my head. It looked...not bad. This only seems to work on the second day after a shampoo; hair's too fly-away when it's clean.

babybabycat
April 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
headbands always fix problems for me, the trouble is finding a comfortable one

LittleOrca
April 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I started growing out from pixie when I was in roughly 6th grade. Once my bangs got down to my chin, I chopped it all off in 7th grade and started growing from there. My hair grew super quick and it was from chin to BSL in 2 years. Now I feel my hair isn't growing as fast, but I did a lot of big trims and cuts over the years as pressured by my family, so I can't get too discouraged now.

In terms of grades, I guess I would be in...19th grade now? lol If that gives you an idea of time length, woot. :)

It definitely takes patience to grow out your hair from pixie and to deal with all the awkward stages the lengths will go through.

When it was at shoulder length, half my hair would curl in and the other hald would flip out. I hated that so much! :silly:

CrystalStar
April 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I think the best approach is to genuinely not care, I grew out a pixie a while ago and at this point I just focused on long hair, and tried not to care :)

I'm sure if anyone looks at you they realise you are growing out, and would not be mean :D So just focus on the goal and go for it? :D

didrash
April 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I started from pixie as well. My methods: bandanas and different small hairclips.

spidermom
April 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I've grown out from a pixie several times, too. Best to get some clippies and hair-bands and pretty scarves. I used to tie a scarf around my head like a hair-band and pretend that the ends tickling my back was my hair. haha I also bought a couple of wigs to wear when I really couldn't stand my hair. They seemed so long then (about APL). Now they're crazy-short compared to my own hair.

Growth happens; be patient.

Roseate
April 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
maybe we should have a photo contest for the absolute most awkward of awkward stages while growing out. I might win that contest.

Oo, that would be a good contest! But I bet many people have managed to completely hide from cameras while in those stages; I pretty much did.

My hair loves to stick straight up when shorter than chin-length. Bobby pins and pomade were my main lines of defense, but mostly I just avoided mirrors. It grew.

RancheroTheBee
April 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM
The only way I have survived is by product and blow-drying. I didn't have the confidence to just weather the awkward stages, and it's made me feel a lot prettier as the process goes on.

Good luck! :)

trollkjerring
April 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Last year in August I cut back to a pixie, now I can manage a tiny pony stub. I wear a pony stub and a headband every day. I am already bored with this look but could never wear it down. It looks awful but I stick it out and grow as fast as I can without cuts.

wintersun99
April 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I started from pixie as well. My methods: bandanas and different small hairclips.

This is what I'm doing, as we speak, err... write. :p

Gutterfayrie
April 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Mini claw clips and head bands and gel were my friends.

Good luck!

serious
April 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I am growing out the pixie from August 2007 and I am reaching the APL now.
My best advice is: focus on the condition not on the length!

I did a lot of experiments with different oils, deep condition treatments, washing methods and henna and got tons of compliments on the shine and health of my hair and that helped me to forget about going to the hairdresser to get some shape and style!

Just be patient, it will grow:)

SchnauzerMom
April 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm growing out from a pixie too. There are several awkward stages that you have to go through. I'm just ignoring them and reminding myself that this too shall pass.

naturalme
April 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone, that's all very encouraging! I guess patience is the key, and as so many of you said, concentrating on the health of my hair. I'd love to use more hairbands, but I have a huge head :D so finding comfy ones is a challenge. So far I've been using a small scarf as a hairband, but I'm getting bored with it already! Must invest in some more.

Kirin, thanks so much for your detailed suggestions.

I have a fringe/bangs and I think I'll concentrate on keeping them looking neat while the back does its own thing behind a scarf/bandana/hairband.

I'll have to go and take a picture of my hair so it can be the "before" shot! And just be patient, right? *sigh* I can do this!!!

ungratefulgirl
April 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I'm growing out a super short mohawk with sides shaved and all. Now I want feminine hair and I want it now. But patience is my only option. I think there really isn't any styling advice for growing out short hair. You just have to stop trimming, no matter how untidy. If you trimmed whenever it looked untidy, that would be all the time and you wouldn't feel like your hair was growing!! So I like the fake it till you make it option..and I don't fuss in the mirror with it anymore, because it's not going to change anytime soon. Maybe enjoy life more so that the next 12 months fly by.....

naturalme
April 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Wow, ungratefulgirl, a mohawk and shaved sides! That will take a while to grow out. :( Hang in there, we can do it!

ungratefulgirl
April 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Wow, ungratefulgirl, a mohawk and shaved sides! That will take a while to grow out. :( Hang in there, we can do it!

Thanks! I'm trying. I've got a whole inch from the last month and a half! Maybe it's because I'm part asian..

funnybunny668
April 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm right there with you, growing mine out from a pixie, too. I cut is short, decided I liked it, cut it shorter.... soon I was wearing a pixie. It was cute, but I really got tired of having to cut it so often to keep it that short!
The best thing to do is just ignore it and let it grow. I don't plan on trimming during the odd grow out phases, I'm just going to let it grow through them. I also don't plan to use any styling products or blow dryers because I'm waiting for my natural wave to come back. Pixie hair is too short to be wavy. :(

DecafJane
April 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Great advice here! My hair was man-short in September 2007 and I haven't cut it since, so not cutting is my best advice. :)

I wore mine up so much (in a french twist asap) that people just started assuming it was longer than it was, and would sometimes laugh when they saw that it was still quite short (at shoulder-length)!

When you can, look at the albums on here that show people growing it out from really short for some reinforcement and encouragement. It doesn't last forever and hopefully will fly by. Good luck!

There are also threads like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16839) that you can look at for reassurance. :)

naturalme
April 10th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks funny and decaf, I think I will take your advice on the not-trimming at all.

When I did get my "trim" this week and I told the hairdresser I was growing it (just to a bob, I said, so she didn't get all weird) she actually (can you believe this?) recommended I come in for trims every four weeks!! That would seriously result in no increased length at all!! I know, she is more interested in me visiting her regularly and paying money, but geez.... No more!!

ETA: my goodness Jane, you have achieved miracles!! Your pictures in the thread you mentioned are just stunning.

Honestwitness
April 10th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I have been growing out from very short hair since 2004. Please look at my album (Growth Progress in Date Order) for pics. I have cut my own hair for many years, because I don't trust the professionals. They always botch it. So, I taught myself how to do it.

Once I decided to let it grow long, I searched through websites and clothing catalogs for hairdos that I liked and thought would work for me at each stage of length. I noticed that the models in the catalogs and the celebrity hairstyle pictures I found showed all different lengths of hairstyles and they all looked good. I decided, if they can do it, so can I.

I committed to doing my best to make my hair look beautiful at each stage of growth. It was an adventure in creativity. I didn't hesitate to trim, if need be, to keep a nice shape.

In late 2007 and early 2008, I had been trying to keep trimming it until it was in a long shag, which is my all-time favorite hairstyle. However, I discovered that my lower layers are woefully sparse. The middle and left side of my underlayers are thinner than the right side. You need very strong underlayers to have a long shag. So, I decided to cut off some length and get it to a blunt cut. I kept trimming just the hemline, until most of the layers met at the hemline. Since then, I am just letting it grow out.

I still kept my bangs/fringe and intend to continue doing so. My face looks really dorky without some waves or curls surrounding it.

I have just this week gotten to the point of trying a few updos. I've practiced them, but I'm still not ready to wear an updo all day. My very lowest neck hairs are really dorky looking, in my opinion. They grow in very scraggly and the right side is thicker than the left side. I have to keep them up with bendy clips, or they fall down and look REALLY HORRIBLE. I'm not ready to go that route yet. I'll keep letting them grow for a while and see if they will ever stay up by themselves. If not, I may thin the right side with thinning scissors and trim them them short enough to curl with a very small curling iron. Of course, if I do that, I'll probably be sorry.

If anyone has any ideas for the stupid sparse, uneven neck hairs, please let me know.

DecafJane
April 12th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks, naturalme - you'll be there too, before you know it. :)

naturalme
April 12th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Honestwitness, thank you for the information on how you got your beautiful hair! I will definitely go now and look at your pictures.

I have a very uneven hairline at the bacl of my neck, so I'm interested to see how it grows out.

Fluke
April 12th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I'm going to lump in with the "try to hold out as long as you can without cutting it"-group, this is what I'm currently doing :)

Last year this time I had been growing out a very short pixie for about 1 year, I had two professional haircuts during that year, and told them to just focus on the ends to avoid the worst mullet look. Not that my hair really gets "mullety", but I was focused on one length hair.
One year of growing left me with shoulder length hair and chin length front pieces.

Last summer I cut it super short again, and just before christmas I decided to grow again.

This time I'll try to grow it out without cutting off the bottom inches, just to see the difference.

It will also maybe give me something to focus on, a "project" so to speak, so I won't keep beating myself up for cutting my hair off when I had just gotten to the very point where I could finally "put it up and forget about it!.. :lol: