PDA

View Full Version : ficcare question

hennaphile
April 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
So I'm curious about ficcares; I'd never heard of them before visiting here. Are they super high quality? Is it a fashion statement?

Tell me what makes them special, I'm oh so interested :)

twilight_faerie
April 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Yes, they're very high quality. They can hold lots of hair (depending on what size you get) and once they're in your hair, they're not moving. They'll keep your updo perfectly in place all day long.

Shanarana
April 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I think they are a high fashion statement as you don't see to many around and they look very good in hair. The hold is great.

Stevy
April 9th, 2009, 04:59 AM
For a lot of people, they hold when the drugstore versions won't - I've only run into one knockoff with a spring as strong as a Ficcare, and my mother bought that for me in Italy so I have no idea how I'd go about getting another one. Also, they're classic looking (okay, some of the glittery styles are a bit too glittery for daytime - but mostly they're classic looking) so you can wear them to a job interview or whatever and not look like you just shoved your hair up with whatever was handy.

Some people they don't work for, of course. They seem a bit prone to pull and be heavy on sensitive scalps, and they don't go as big as some of us here would like!

But in general, it's because they work. You'll always get people saying 'oh, the LHCers who like this brand that I don't are just fashion victims' - but you get rude people everywhere you go. :)

enfys
April 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
From what I've heard they are well made, very hair friendly where knock-off cheap versions are more likely to catch in your hair too.

I've never used one: I'm too poor! But I'd dearly like to one day!

Anje
April 9th, 2009, 07:07 AM
They're generally very high quality, the large ones have a capacity suited to people with long hair (though those with particularly thick hair still bemoan the lack of an extra large version). But the reason people tend to swear by them around here is that they can be incredibly secure, and a bun clamped in one can stay put when nothing else will.

They're a bit heavy (the maximas style more so than the ficcarissimo, and the enameled ones more than the plain metallic ones), and there is a bit of a learning curve for some of us with them (like me!). But they work well, and on the off chance that you get one that catches hairs or otherwise misbehaves, the company is quite willing to replace it.

enfys
April 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
In shops how do they come? Would the packaging allow you to try one before you buy it? I really want to try one, but can't justify £30 odd on a whim. Also, even fakes are pretty dear, around £10, so even that isn't optional. London seems to have the only stockists around.

Did you all just hope and pray that your first one would work?

If you plan to buy one would you get the large if you're aiming for classic, even if you're between BSL and waist now?

Tabitha
April 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
In shops how do they come? Would the packaging allow you to try one before you buy it? I really want to try one, but can't justify £30 odd on a whim. Also, even fakes are pretty dear, around £10, so even that isn't optional.

In Selfridges in London the Ficcares are out on display stands and the ladies at the Cherry Chau concession where they are sold are very happy to let you try and will make suggestions as to how to use them.

Boots sell a brushed silver clip roughly equivalent to a medium Maximas that is I think under 6 quid. It has quite a good hold, but mine discoloured and went grotty looking quite quickly, as did someone else's I think - I ended up painting it with purple nailvarnish and got quite a good result.

enfys
April 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Ooh thanks Tabitha!

Is the cheapy clip Boots own brand? Or another make they stock? The closest I saw last time I looked were some by Babyliss for a small fortune but we have about 3 shops all carrying different stock.

If it goes ugly I don't mind using nailvarnish on it. The hold and comfort is the main thing I think.

Carolyn
April 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I purchased my first Ficcares in a department store and they were out on display and easy to try on. I never would have gotten one if I couldn't have tested it at the store.

If you want to read A LOT of Ficcare discussions, do a search and I'm sure you'll get enough results to keep you busy for days. There have been quite a few threads devoted to every aspect of Ficcares. You might want to check the archives too.

Tabitha
April 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Is the cheapy clip Boots own brand? Or another make they stock? The closest I saw last time I looked were some by Babyliss for a small fortune but we have about 3 shops all carrying different stock.

If it goes ugly I don't mind using nailvarnish on it. The hold and comfort is the main thing I think.

Yep it's Boots own brand. And if the nailvarnish eventually chips, I'll just paint it a different colour for a change!

Tesco used to sell metal Fakkare beak clips too that were quite strong (not sure if they still do) but most people here find the Maximas style easiest to use.

enfys
April 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Tesco used to sell metal fakkare beak clips too that were quite strong (not sure if they still do) but most people here find the Maximas style easiest to use.

I had one of them and my hair hated it. It spat it out every time. That opening bit in the Ficcare I hope will make the difference.

I really need to go to London...
Perhaps it'stime for a London meet soon....:D

Anje
April 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
In the US, CVS pharmacies tend to carry a rather nice largeish dark brown fake that lacks teeth inside, and has an exceptionally strong spring. Every place I've seen it, it has not been with the main hair accessories, but on a small stand of hair accessories closer to the makeup. It's probably between a medium and a large Maximas in capacity, and while some of the finish has come off the bottom part of mine, I recommend it for someone who's not yet willing to shell out the big bucks to get the real thing.

Feng-Shui
April 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Ficcare are to be carried very comfortably.
Mine updo hold perfectly all day long and it look very noble.
Ficcare are from very good quality.

I can sleep with them in the hair and notice her not.

For me Ficcare are worth the high price.

I buy it not because of the mode.

I`m convinced of their high quality.

Philomela
April 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Do Ficcare have metal teeth? If yes, are they damaging to the hair?

Feng-Shui
April 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Do Ficcare have metal teeth? If yes, are they damaging to the hair?

Ficcare have one line up teeth and Ficcarissimo two rows.

They do not have sharp edges and I have not noticed that them damage to cause at my hair.