PDA

View Full Version : A first for me

WelshLocks
April 8th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I've been growing my hair long for about a year now and am very pleased with my growth so far. My hair is healthy, beautiful and growing at a nice rate. I've never had my hair longer than shoulder length(when I was a kid it tangled really bad so we kept it shorter) so this is kind of a new problem for me.
Whenever I carry a bag or a purse or anything over my shoulder, my hair gets caught and tugs on my head.Is it time for me to make it a habit to move my hair before I put anything on my shoulder?Or should I just start wearing it up more?

Furthermore, while I've got you reading I had another question. Any suggestions on braiding with layers?I can now do pigtails but my shortest layer(s) stick out and I can't get them tamed. Plus I can braid my hair in one braid because of this. :/

Thank you so much.

Debra83
April 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have layers and am able to do french braids - seldom having to use bobby pins.

I am starting to have the same problem with shoulder bags catching my hair. (YAY!!!!).

My chiro tells me shoulder bags are the number one problem with ladies' necks and backs anyway - soooooo, I'm gonna ditch the shoulder bags I think!!!!

HairColoredHair
April 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM
The shoulder thing... Basically... Yes. It's time to make a habit of moving your hair when you put things over your shoulder or onto your back. If you do updos most of the time (when you can, anyway) you don't have to, obviously.

Thankfully, that's a habit most people get into without ever realizing it, just like moving your hair before you sit down.

Pierre
April 8th, 2009, 11:31 PM
You can try a half up - that can keep your hair out of your bag handle and still have it down. My style right now is two ponytails, each with half the hair wound once around the pin of the Flexi-8 and the other half passing straight through (the real reason for that, though, is that half my hair is too loose in the Flexi unless I wind it).

As to braids, I like double Dutch. Having braided, I can make a full updo by merging the two braids and folding it on top of my head, or clip each braid's end to the base of the other, or fold them in half, or bun them.

Try a BackTPack. I've had mine for a few years and love it. I've had a 7 kg courseload at school and I can carry it easily, standing straight up. No schooliosis.

RancheroTheBee
April 9th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I feel your pain. My hair is finally long enough to get into fights with my earphones. And lose.

Anyway, yes. Wear your hair up as much as possible. As for the layers, I'd with with maybe tying the braids* higher up on the hair, to compensate for the shorter layers, or by trying out some shorter buns.

*: I'd totally written "brains" first time around.

janeytilllie
April 9th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I wear my hair up most of the time because my hair too gets into fights with straps on bags and earphones.

As for braids with layers, I will braid my hair to the shorest layer then tie it. Hope this helps :)

earthdancer
April 9th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Whenever I carry a bag or a purse or anything over my shoulder, my hair gets caught and tugs on my head.Is it time for me to make it a habit to move my hair before I put anything on my shoulder?Or should I just start wearing it up more?

I like to wear my hair down sometimes, and yes, I have to fight with the strap on my shoulder bag. Even with a ponytail it happens, since the 'tail likes to fall over my shoulder. I just keep pushing my hair out of the way when I put my purse on. I'm not going to give up the shoulder purse (it's small and I try not to stuff it, so it's not heavy).

WelshLocks
April 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the help, ladies. It seems like I'll need to invest some time in teaching myself a new habit.(putting my hair over my shoulder before I put he bag on)

As for the braids...I may just have to wait it out and braid the small ayers seperately and attached the with a bobby pin. :/

:)

JamieLeigh
April 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Eventually you'll get into the habit of moving it out of the way and you won't even think about it anymore. If you haven't checked out the amazing articles on updo hairstyles, they're here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1)

Congrats on your progress so far, getting your hair caught in things is definitely a growth milestone! :flower:

camirra555
April 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the articles JamieLeigh. I've never checked them out before

twilight_faerie
April 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
If your shortest layer is only a few inches above your longest layer, you could just tuck your braid under and pin it, so the pieces that stick out won't be seen. Otherwise, I'd suggest just braiding down to the end of your shortest layer.