PDA

View Full Version : Salon Rant

NurseMama
April 8th, 2009, 08:36 PM
My wonderful husband got me a gift certificate for a mani/pedi at a swanky salon for my birthday. Today was my birthday and I scheduled my appointment. I was excited to go as it has been a little while since I have let someone else pamper me. They served me a glass of wine (maybe they were trying to get me drunk?) and then during my pedi I had no less than 3 stylists come up to me telling me that they do hair cuts there. One even came right out and said I should go shorter! Of course, her hair was ear length, bleached, and FRIED beyond all belief! I wore my hair down today and really felt like it was looking pretty good, but this stylist with the damaged ugly hair wanted to cut off my beautiful healthy hair! What the hell!

HairColoredHair
April 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
It's just an upsell, don't worry about it too much. :)

Besides, my mother always said to go to the stylist with the worst hair, since she's the one doing everyone else's hair! :lol:

Aisha25
April 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I wouldve said to her. You know if you were to just leave your hairs alone,no irons or fryers and would just leave your hair in peace and let them grow,they would look so beautiful and healthy:)
Just dont worry about them who cares:flowers: your husband is sweet

earthdancer
April 8th, 2009, 08:59 PM
If you were really evil, you could have told them that you could give them the name of a good plastic surgeon to take care of the [fill in the blank: nose, chin, crooked eyes, etc.].:eyebrows:

I just hate it when someone treats me like a child.

UncommonTart
April 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Oh, dear! And on your birthday, while you were supposed to be enjoying yourself, too- that kind of thing is uncalled for at any time, but that was just... :justy: Well, I'd ignore everything they said, if I were you. And of course, never, ever, ever go back there. Maybe if you felt like it, you could call the owner/manager of the salon and let them know exactly how you felt about the behavior of those stylists and why you'll never ever be back. I just can't imagine that kind of thing could possibly be considered acceptable... repeatedly harassing a paying customer and making disparaging remarks about your hair after you declined their services... that's just about the very opposite of good customer service. Who lets them get away with that...?

And may I say, happy birthday! I do hope it was a very nice one apart from the salon snobs. :blossom:

LHGypsyRose
April 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
If you were really evil, you could have told them that you could give them the name of a good plastic surgeon to take care of the [fill in the blank: nose, chin, crooked eyes, etc.].:eyebrows:

I just hate it when someone treats me like a child.

Yeah me too expecially when it comes to my hair! Like I don't know what I'm doing. Psh!:rolleyes: I hate it too when a stylist, or anyone in the buisness of hair care, looks at you with that "you pitiful thing, your totaly clueless" look!

NurseMama
April 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I agree that it was an upsell, but it was totally inappropriate and rude. They never said anything bad about my hair, only the one stylist said that it would look cute shorter :rolleyes:. Of course, they kept asking me where I went to get my hair done and I never owned up to the fact that I trimmed it myself. I DID say though that I was allergic to PPD dyes and instead used natural haircolor. The word "henna" never left my mouth because I wasn't ready for that argument! Honestly, I just wanted a nice relaxing spa visit and instead of reading my book and chilling out, I felt uptight and defensive.

naturalme
April 9th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Besides, my mother always said to go to the stylist with the worst hair, since she's the one doing everyone else's hair!

I remember having my hair cut years ago by a lovely girl who had plain, waist length hair. I asked her why, and she said she was too busy doing other peoples' hair to do anything with her own. :)

(Gee, if I'd done what she did and stopped getting my hair cut *then* I'd be at waist length myself by now!!:rolleyes:)

Carolyn
April 9th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I'd be tempted to call and talk to the owner/manager (or write a letter) and let them know that your relaxing birthday treat was spoiled by the stylist's offers and comments. Tell them that your appointment was supposed to be a relaxing birthday treat and the stylists who talked to you to let you *know* they did haircuts was very annoying and stressful. Well duh. Like you wouldn't know a salon did haircuts and you needed to be informed? Their comments were rude and pushy and obnoxious. Mention something about even ladies with long hair should be able to get their nails done in a nice salon without being harassed about getting their hair cut. Also mention that you doubt you'll be back if that's the way they treat clients. They might send you a certificate for another mani or pedi as an apology. Contacting the owner/manager might not get you anything but it could get a refund or some free services.

Stevy
April 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I know it's their job to upsell, but that would really have annoyed me too. It's all very well for them to check with you once to see whether you'd like to add a hair treatment to your day, but three stylists asking you is two too many!

enfys
April 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'd definately complain and see if I got a free treatment voucher!

That is awful that they (are most likely told to) upsell like that. It's probably the staff's choice though, which is why management need to know that customers don't like it.

marialena
April 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
That's why I don't go anymore in salons. ( even if it is a birthday present.. Happy birthday by the way. I wish you to have this year everything that you wish and like, good health and of course longer loooooonger hair!!!! :) )

What I was saying?? Well .. That's why I don't go to any kind of salons. All the stylist are uneducated, rude, and with the scissors on hand in order to cut any virgin hair they are going to see in front of them.

But don't go far...let me tell you here a story that my mother happen to hear in a taxi in order to have in mind what the stylists have in their minds.

My mother took a taxi and in this taxi was the taxi driver's girlfriend who was a hairdresser. His girlfriend had been fired, just minutes ago from her job in a salon, because, ( she told that, my mother heard it ) the owner told her that she didn't damage enough the salon clients hair.:brickwall:agape:

The owner told her that she ought to damage clients' hair with the blow dryer or by adding more peroxide in dyes because otherwise the clients wouldn't go so often in the salon and wouldn't pay money for masks and these kind of treatments. :mad:
The girl answered to the owner of the salon, that this wasn't the way she learned to work, that she didn't find it right and for that reason this guy fired her.
My mother got shocked hearing all that and after that she never went to a salon again. ( Please taxi drivers' girlfriends...don't shock my mother .. She is in a critical age!! :p)

Shocked or not yet??

Themyst
April 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
It may have been Warren Buffett that said:

Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.

I guess that is true even if you don't ask!

JamieLeigh
April 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on your birthday!! I would definitely call the owner/manager, as has been suggested, because you certainly didn't get what you expected out of your husband's purchase. And if the whole point was so that you could go out and relax, then it's like wasted money and your husband doesn't deserve that! The customer is always right!!! ;)

I hope you still had an awesome birthday! :flower:

wintersun99
April 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Well, what a sweet hubby!

Sorry the visit was interupted by annoying salespeople... it's their job, but it was poor timing. Should have been done before/after the visit, not in the middle. I'd probably be annoyed enough to not go back, but then I don't really pamper myself with mani/pedi's anyway.

My suggestion, fire off a quick email to the manager.

I wouldn't bother calling. Honestly, they'd probably just tune you out until the call was over. But, sending your thoughts in email might help you get it out of your system and they would have a record of your "feedback" which most businesses would probably want.

Take care :)

ETA: oh and you probably haven't done this, but I wouldn't rant to the hubby, he did a really sweet thing for you, he should get to feel really good about that... :D

lora410
April 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Don't take it personally, that is just how they drum up business for themselves. Overall I hope you had a good experience minus the hair cutters. and HAPPY BIRTHDAY from one Aries to another :D :cake: :gift: :toast:

babybabycat
April 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Salon spelled backwards is "No Las"....so everytime some "expert" tells me what to do with my hair I say "no las".
I had a horrible salon experience 8 weeks ago, salons are hacks! Beauty school is a long sales training to sell product, no wonder they fry hair...so that they can sell product!

misstwist
April 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
My suggestion, fire off a quick email to the manager.

I wouldn't bother calling. Honestly, they'd probably just tune you out until the call was over. But, sending your thoughts in email might help you get it out of your system and they would have a record of your "feedback" which most businesses would probably want.

I agree that complaints to management should be in writing, but e-mail is not the way to go. Send a real letter. You are typing it out on your computer anyway, it's not that much harder to print it out and mail it. A letter is much more real and attention grabbing. Any idiot can send an e-mail, someone who actually sends a letter is serious and needs to be dealt with.

Gypsygirl
April 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Oh no... That wasn't very nice. But I agree with the others, don't take it personally.

babybabycat
April 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.ripoffreport.com
This is THE BEST way to complain about a company. It will show up on the front page of a google search.

GlennaGirl
April 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Don't take it personally, that is just how they drum up business for themselves.

Agree. :) Just like sales people urge you to buy this-and-this to go with that when you're in a store, and the way car salesmen follow you around the lot and the way Verizon asks you if you want a bundle, a salon is going to ask you whether you want full service there. That's repeat business for them and they want it. Very normal stuff!

Happy birthday!!!!

KajiKodomo
April 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
The whole upselling process is the reason why I left my job with customer service for a mortgage company. We were practically forced to upsell in order to keep our jobs (if we didn't do it a certain number of times, we would get reprimanded, and if you did it again, fired). I was more concerned with helping the people that called and not upselling, that I ended up leaving so that I wouldn't have to deal with being fired for not doing it.

So, it upsets me, even though I know it's their job, when people take away from what's supposed to be a relaxing experience with comments (one would have been enough, even then). I'm sorry you had to deal with that!

Happy late birthday, by the way! :D

camirra555
April 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
That sucks. Like others said they were probably just trying to upsell. Too bad they picked your birthday to do it. Happy belated bday by the way!

Feline
April 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
That's why I don't go anymore in salons. ( even if it is a birthday present.. Happy birthday by the way. I wish you to have this year everything that you wish and like, good health and of course longer loooooonger hair!!!! :) )

What I was saying?? Well .. That's why I don't go to any kind of salons. All the stylist are uneducated, rude, and with the scissors on hand in order to cut any virgin hair they are going to see in front of them.

But don't go far...let me tell you here a story that my mother happen to hear in a taxi in order to have in mind what the stylists have in their minds.

My mother took a taxi and in this taxi was the taxi driver's girlfriend who was a hairdresser. His girlfriend had been fired, just minutes ago from her job in a salon, because, ( she told that, my mother heard it ) the owner told her that she didn't damage enough the salon clients hair.:brickwall:agape:

The owner told her that she ought to damage clients' hair with the blow dryer or by adding more peroxide in dyes because otherwise the clients wouldn't go so often in the salon and wouldn't pay money for masks and these kind of treatments. :mad:
The girl answered to the owner of the salon, that this wasn't the way she learned to work, that she didn't find it right and for that reason this guy fired her.
My mother got shocked hearing all that and after that she never went to a salon again. ( Please taxi drivers' girlfriends...don't shock my mother .. She is in a critical age!! :p)

Shocked or not yet??

This is absolutely mind-boggling! :bigeyes: Even if people WANT to have their hair cut short, they shouldn't be having it deliberately ruined! Only one way to deal with this: :run:

purplebubba
April 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM

I just wanted to point this part out because it shows that not all of them are doing it. This girl was willing to be fired rather than be a bad one. She's probably working somewhere else now and making her clients happy.

NurseMama
April 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I didn't tell my hubby the whole rant, thats why I came here! I want him to do nice gestures like this again right?

What really struck me is how much the salon industry seems to feel like "more is better". More styling, more cutting, more dye. Natural healthy hair is the antithesis to everything that stylists seem to want for their clients! The only stylist I have ever been to that was as concerned about the health of my hair as I am was the George Michael salon stylist in Dallas.

I understand wanting to do more. In the medical field, people are interested by the complex cases. The patients that really need a lot of care are the most fascinating and medical people (in an admittedly macabre way) get excited when they have to deal with a trauma or life threatening condition. The generally healthy person just doesn't stimulate the adrenals in the same way! Do you all think that it is the same for the stylists when they see essentially a blank canvas of hair? That feeling that they could do ANYTHING to it and that is exciting?

I'm not going to write a letter because the owner was actually one of the stylists to offer a hair cut. That might make me a wuss, but its over and I feel that I should of spoken up when I was there. I was actually considering trying out one of their facials, but the pushiness was enough to warn me off of that! So, I just won't give them my business again.

rach
April 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Shocked or not yet??
:agape: thats crazy, and soo wrong.

I didn't tell my hubby the whole rant, thats why I came here! I want him to do nice gestures like this again right?
defiantly! just nudge him away from the hair salon and all will be fine.

you got a glass of wine out of it so not all bad.

SHELIAANN1969
April 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.ripoffreport.com
This is THE BEST way to complain about a company. It will show up on the front page of a google search.

I really think this would be going a bit far, being ripped off is when someone steals your money, doesn't provide services you paid for or doesn't perform the job correctly.

This would be a last resort and never for someone trying to cut your hair at a salon.

That said, I am sorry the experience was marred by pushy hairdressers, there is a way to alert someone that you are open and available to perform a service, but in a non offensive manner.

Maybe next time you can find a salon that only specializes in beauty treatments and not haircuts. or take a sign that says "No haircuts today, please don't offer"

Eireann
April 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
It will be a loooooong time before I get my hair done in a salon again. I went in for my twice a year trim the other day, and thought it would be fun to do something different with my color. BIG mistake. She totally messed up my color, gave me a special "deep conditioning" treatment that cost $50, and didn't tell me it was going to be extra (and actually just consisted of a commercially available conditioner that probably cost $20 for the entire bottle) I had to go back the next day and get it colored again to fix the disaster she caused.

Actually, I should have listened to the voice from the universe. When I was sitting in the chair after she shampooed me and before she did the color, while she was ripping through my wet hair with a paddle brush, the refrain of the song playing over the speakers was "run away, run away, run away and save your life!" The next day, when I went back to have it fixed (by the owner of the salon, who was very helpful and appropriately horrified by the previous stylist's work), the song on the speakers said "I need a miracle." :) I went in for a trim to keep my hair healthy while growing it out, and it ended up in worse condition than it was before. :justy:

SHELIAANN1969
April 10th, 2009, 08:58 AM
It will be a loooooong time before I get my hair done in a salon again. I went in for my twice a year trim the other day, and thought it would be fun to do something different with my color. BIG mistake. She totally messed up my color, gave me a special "deep conditioning" treatment that cost $50, and didn't tell me it was going to be extra (and actually just consisted of a commercially available conditioner that probably cost $20 for the entire bottle) I had to go back the next day and get it colored again to fix the disaster she caused.

Actually, I should have listened to the voice from the universe. . .when I was sitting in the chair after she shampooed me and before she did the color, while she was ripping through my wet hair with a paddle brush the refrain of the song playing over the speakers was "run away, run away, run away and save your life!" The next day, when I went back to have it fixed (by the owner of the salon, who was very helpful and appropriately horrified by the previous stylist's work), the song on the speakers said "I need a miracle." :) I went in for a trim to keep my hair healthy while growing it out, and it ended up in worse condition than it was before. :justy:

That stinks, I know the feeling.

I would have contested the charges on the treatment for 50$ though.

I was in a salon and the hairdresser kept wanting to blow dry and style my hair. I do not like blow drying or styling in any way. She kind of just *did it* without asking me and I was hesitant but didn't tell her to stop, I figured I would just comb it out afterwards. (This was years ago)

I went to pay for the haircut and there were all these extra charges. I complained and she said , blow dry is xxx, styling is xxx. I said "I did not request that service nor did I want it, you did it without asking me and I am not paying for that"

She said "oh ok, since you didn't ask for it, you aren't obligated to pay"

But ever since that time, I have made a point to refuse any other services than what I came in for.

Eireann
April 10th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Sheila Ann,

I know you're right about contesting the charge for the conditioner, but I was so traumatized by the whole thing I was just glad to get out of there. I also asked to let it air dry and basically they just went ahead and blow dried it anyway. She wanted to see how the color came out when it was dry (which I guess I can sort of understand given that she was correcting the color). I never wanted to be a salon-hating longhair, because I think nice professionally cut layers in long hair can look stunning, but really. . .that's it for me. Back to the home coloring and self trims.

zombi
April 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM

What really struck me is how much the salon industry seems to feel like "more is better". More styling, more cutting, more dye. Natural healthy hair is the antithesis to everything that stylists seem to want for their clients! The only stylist I have ever been to that was as concerned about the health of my hair as I am was the George Michael salon stylist in Dallas.

I agree with this. I just went to have my hair trimmed, and it was a stylist I've been going to while before I wanted to start growing my hair. It seemed like, while she was so good at making my hair shorter and funkier and completely interested in bleaching parts of it and this and that... she didn't understand when I just wanted the barest of trims. I said it over and over, and I still lost more than an inch, AND she re-did the layers. I'm going to have to think really hard before I go have a trim again, I'm so upset.

But it's just so frustrating to say that you want it to be healthier, blah blah, and they tell you to cut it MORE often and to not switch to henna and ....

I'm so sorry you had to deal with the upselling! I've quit jobs because of that myself. At least now working in a hospital I don't have to upsell!

Deborah
April 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Just ignore the pushy stylists. It's not about you. It's all about $$$$$

SHELIAANN1969
April 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
:grouphug: I understand completely, at the time you feel kind of shocked and sometimes it's hard to think about things untill later.

You know, it still isn't too late to call the manager, tell her thanks for the correction but you felt ripped off and pressured into paying the 50$ for something you didn't request or really agree to.

I would explain that you were stunned over a few things and upset and not really thinking.

Of course you may be just wanting to let it go, but it's still an option before it's too late. I know it's very very frustrating to get results that you weren't expecting, or results that were completely inferior and it's upsetting. :grouphug: again.

Sheila Ann,

I know you're right about contesting the charge for the conditioner, but I was so traumatized by the whole thing I was just glad to get out of there. I also asked to let it air dry and basically they just went ahead and blow dried it anyway. She wanted to see how the color came out when it was dry (which I guess I can sort of understand given that she was correcting the color). I never wanted to be a salon-hating longhair, because I think nice professionally cut layers in long hair can look stunning, but really. . .that's it for me. Back to the home coloring and self trims.

brok3nwings
April 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
well, some people consider ultra damaged bleached short hair the most beautiful way of having it so she could be one of those or she could simply trying to ruin your hair so that she feels better about hers ehehe i hope that the first one is the correct one cause then both of you would be happy and not only you ;)

Eireann
April 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Shocked or not yet??

This is pretty scary, and one more reason not to go to a salon.

Unofficial_Rose
April 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I've had my fair share of awful salon experiences and I do know where you're coming from, but I want to report a poitive salon experience - hope that's OK! Stylists get a bit of a bashing on here, and not without reason, but some of them are pretty good.

I took DS to my local salon today- he is nearly 14 and has APL hair that hasn't been cut in 2 years.

The stylist (who incidentally had really bleach-fried hair with dark roots) was very careful not to cut too much off and checked and double-checked with us both that was what was wanted. She did a perfect trim and was very sweet into the bargain! He even was allowed to leave the salon with wet hair.

I have to say, I had been having the usual Springtime urge to stop with the henna/indigo and go back to highlights. But having seen the hair of the people in the salon, it put me right off of bleach and so has also done me a massive favour. :D

Sorry you had to put up with this on your birthday though. I do know what it's like. :(. Speaking as one who has had disastrous dye-jobs, surprise mullets, the lot! :rolleyes: At least they didn't actually get to do anything to your hair.

LadyLongLocks
April 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM
It's a shame you had to go through that on your Birthday!
Glad you did not let them touch your hair.
You were nice and did not complain or comment back to the lady with the fried hair.
Unlike them, who couldn't leave their mouth shut and never even complimented you on your healthy hair...leave that to us!

Happy :cake: Birthday!