PDA

View Full Version : Those with white dots, what do you do?

birthmarkie
April 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Do you trim them each separately, snap or break them off, ignore them, or deal with them with regular trims? Perhaps you have a wonderful :magic: trick to make them disappear! I loathe my white dots and feel futile against the lot of them that are there! Help!

peachrose
April 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I S&D what I can and the rest I leave. I feel your pain though, it's really annoying to not be able to get all of them!

joyellen
April 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
It seems like I have a neverending supply of white dots :rolleyes: If I'm just sitting around, I'll grab my scissors and snip them one by one. If I don't have access to my scissors I try to ignore them, but sometimes I break them off. Bad habit, but sometimes I just can't stand to see the little buggers.

enfys
April 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ditto Joyellen.

Yeah, it's naughty so cutting is my first choice.

Luckily I don't get too many.

Anje
April 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I try to trim them. Sometimes when I don't have scissors, I snap them.

Carolyn
April 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I spend lots of time with my scissors doing S & D. I can almost keep up with them if I do it a few times a week. My evenings are generally spend with the TV and my laptop so I have plenty of time to multi-task a little S & D time. There is no magic cure unfortunately. The only think you can do is snip them off and then moisturize your hair and wear it in protective styles. Some hair is more prone to splits. Mine is. I just have to deal with it.

winter_star
April 9th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I have a bad habit of breaking and snapping them off, but when I get a spare moment I try to S&D. Another good option is to get regular trims to keep split ends under control.

janeytilllie
April 9th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I S&D mine every night. I hate them too! They drive me crazy :silly:

Seraphina
April 9th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Try very,very hard to ignore them.Not that it always works,and then I go to the dark side and snap.

plainjanegirl
April 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I ignore them. My hair is still growing with them .

Nanni
April 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I S&D as often as I can. I have a pair of real stylist scissors that I use to get rid of them for good. I think that I should get less of them from now on, since I have quit chemical dye, blowdrying and flat ironing.

JamieLeigh
April 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I just S&D them, along with any splits I might find. They certainly are annoying, and they seem to crop up more often when I don't oil regularly. :(

Forever_Sophie
April 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I used to snap them...

longhairedfairy
April 9th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I always hear about the "white dots." Am I just a freak that mine are usually dark dots?

spidermom
April 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
If I see them when I have scissors handy, I trim them off. If I don't have scissors, I pretend I didn't see anything.

HotRag
April 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I do S&D. I go through 1/4 of my hair totally, every 6th week.

kdaniels8811
April 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I use my catnip tea soaks and my split ends have dissapeared. Seriously. I took a photcopy of my ends just to make sure I was not missing anything and they are seriously gone. I ponytail my hair and soak the ends in the tea twice a week, put a plastic bag over the wet hair to keep it from dripping. Leave on for a half hour.

My hair used to not grow, it broke off and split and no expensive treatment or trims could keep it from happening. So I really feel the catnip made a huge difference.

CrystalStar
April 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I sit there with my tiny little nail scissors clipping them off :p

One day, the infinite supply of them has to run out :D

karli
April 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
It seems as if lack of moisture is what make them appear in my hair. S&d is the only way to get rid of them since they`re all over.
I wish I had a plan with s&d, but since I really don`t like it, I only do it when I can`t ignore my white dots and split ends anymore.

HotRag
April 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Moisture and oiling has reduced my splits and white dots to a minimum :-)

Elenna
April 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I was wondering about this.

I trim off the white spots, but it is not like the white spots are at the very ends. So I think that this is a major impediment to longer hair. I read about ktani's catnip for split ends but now it looks like white dots will go away too.

plainjanegirl
April 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I use my catnip tea soaks and my split ends have dissapeared. Seriously. I took a photcopy of my ends just to make sure I was not missing anything and they are seriously gone. I ponytail my hair and soak the ends in the tea twice a week, put a plastic bag over the wet hair to keep it from dripping. Leave on for a half hour.

My hair used to not grow, it broke off and split and no expensive treatment or trims could keep it from happening. So I really feel the catnip made a huge difference.

Ok so you did not have to cut off the white dots or split ends, but by just using this catnip stuff they went away? If that is correct I may have to look into that stuff.

lirael
April 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I have tons. I try to ignore them, but sometimes I snip them off.

Rohele
April 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Sometimes I snip them if I'm in the mood. Mostly I just leave them alone. I have so much damage on the ends that S&D cannot possibly contain it, so if they are getting really bad, I get my hair trimmed. I'm not noticing pieces breaking off like I used to, so hopefully they wont slow my growth down too much.

Jules diamond
April 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I tried S&D, but I think I'm going to mostly ignore them and trim at 30in.

Angellen
April 13th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I cut the ones I see, but sometimes there are so many I can't do them all.

Ryanne
April 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I cut them while I S&D.

vampodrama
April 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I ignore them. Maybe if I ignore them hard enough, they will go away. :rolleyes:

There is no way I could go through them with S&D because I have just SO MANY.

birthmarkie
April 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Glad I'm not alone. Thanks ya'll. Keep the responses coming!

Alia
April 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I S&D any I see while close to my trimming scissors. If they pop into view while I'm out, I try and ignore them, but it drives me mad.;)

Gingevere
April 16th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I S&D as well. I checked out some of those white dots under a microscope and they're spots where the shaft has frayed and is about to break. Once it does break, the frayed end is left vulnerable.

Anyway, I don't see how there could be a remedy for such a thing. They're basically the same as split ends; once you've got them, you can't repair them. There might be something out there to "glue" the frayed pieces together, in order to keep the shaft from splitting further... but it'll only be temporary.

milemma
April 28th, 2009, 01:48 AM
they show less on light hair, so I try to ignore them

Dars
April 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I S&D any I see while close to my trimming scissors. If they pop into view while I'm out, I try and ignore them, but it drives me mad.;)

Same here :D

ArumiKusari
April 28th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I cut them off along with the splits.If I happen to notice one and I have my scissors anywhere near I'll cut them off even during lectures or classes, they drive me mad :D I hate leaving them alone, so I always have my scissors with me.
people think I'm obsessed XP

clairenewcastle
October 2nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
I've been S&Ding since my teenage years (I'm now 43) and have snipped off a lot of "white dots" in my time but overall split-ends tend to be more of a problem for me.

geosangel
April 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
when I had them a while back I would snap them, but found that when I did that, it would cause an almost immediate split. Then I started to S&D, even before I came here and knew it was beneficial. Knock on wood, I have not had them since I stopped using mousse and gel.

Jeni
April 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
I S & D when I can (2-3 times a week) but since I'm growing out damage from bleach the white dots are winning the battle.

I seem to have alot more white dots then split ends and honestly the dots bother me more, they just seem more noticeable!

I keep meaning to try catnip. Nothing is going to fix the dots and splits I already have but it would be nice to reduce them!

Cailie
April 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
I cut over them while S&D'ing :)

MandyBeth
April 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Cut out if I see them, or bite them if I don't have scissors. Please, my hair is already a mess, biting the dot or split out isn't going to make it any worse...

Same problem tho I have with S&D - I can't focus my eyes on the split or dots. So I've got a ton, I need to cut my hair to get rid of them, and I'm not going to. Yet.

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I am... removing each one separately. They are not high, maybe 1/4 inch from my ends. And since I don't have any good hairdresser's sciccors I have really, really bad habit- I tear them off with my nails:(

Loreley
May 19th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I S&D them too. :)

Kathie
May 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Don’t snap! You know its bad :p

This is what a white dot looks like under a microscope. Like McKanna91 said, if you snap you're not going to leave a clean end, it will split later.

http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5474&pictureid=71599

Me, now, I S&D them.

IcarusBride
May 20th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I hardly have any more. I had a lot when I first joined, thanks to experimenting with a curling iron, but since I ceased that nonsense and started S&D, I veeery rarely can find them anymore. And since I started Catnip-Cassia, I can hardly find split ends either. I ALMOST miss it, somehow finding and snipping a split is very satisfying. As for the white dots, I always snap them! I feel an uncontrollable compulsion to grab the hair on either side of the dot and tug gently... Snap! But then I immediately go and trim about 1/2cm up, to prevent the end from becoming a split later on.

birthmarkie
May 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I know I shouldn't, but I can't help snapping them! My family hates it when I do though. I guess I should keep scissors more accessible.

birthmarkie
May 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I hardly have any more. I had a lot when I first joined, thanks to experimenting with a curling iron, but since I ceased that nonsense and started S&D, I veeery rarely can find them anymore. And since I started Catnip-Cassia, I can hardly find split ends either. I ALMOST miss it, somehow finding and snipping a split is very satisfying. As for the white dots, I always snap them! I feel an uncontrollable compulsion to grab the hair on either side of the dot and tug gently... Snap! But then I immediately go and trim about 1/2cm up, to prevent the end from becoming a split later on.

I will have to try the catnip-cassia treatment...what are the details of how you do that?

Quixii
May 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I S&D them off. >.<

Holly9192
May 26th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I have a bad habit of breaking them off when i have no scissors.

FrannyG
May 27th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I don't currently have white dots, but I used to. I would cut them out during S&D when I did have them though.

Lykaios
May 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I have a bad habit of snapping them off when I have no scissors too :( but if I do have some, I S&D. I actually just micro trimmed my hair, so I am good for a little while. (Except when growing out those damn layers!!!)

Actually, maybe I'll mention how I S&D the "guts" of my hair (you know, the shorter pieces that you generally can't trim off with the rest?). I curl a length around my finger and trim off the splits that stick up from the rest. It's not a lot of hair at all, the bulk of your layers keep growing AND you get rid of splits all in one fell swoop! Anyone else use this method?

alabaster
May 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I cut mine..... right now the back of my hair is too short to do this so i am very ecited for when it gets longer so i can S&D more effectively

neon-dream
May 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I leave mine be :). They don't really bother me, neither do my splits.

Moonfall
May 27th, 2010, 02:07 PM
They don't really bother me, neither do my splits.
Can you teach me that? I really can't ignore splits and white dots, I wish I could!

lesbia
June 20th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I s&d, only because I don't want to lose lenght with trim..

Miriah
June 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I've always ignored them because I was taught that snapping them would only make things worse. I plan to start S&Ding them because the sight and feel of them annoys me. I'm definitely curious about the catnip tea soak that was mentioned. I could probably search the site for this but does anyone know off hand if it affects hair colour at all?

C_Bookworm
June 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
S&D. I want to snap them off if I don't have scissors, but I'm afraid it will cause more damage