PDA

View Full Version : I would've never thought...

Electric Sky
April 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hey guys! So yesterday I was taking a shower and I was just in amazement at all of the changes I've made with my hair in such a short time. So I decided to make a game for all of the LHC'ers who would've never thought they'd be doing some of the things that they now do every day.

I'll start.
I would've never thought I'd be using crappy Suave shampoos and conditioners instead of those super expensive salon brands I pined after :lol:

RancheroTheBee
April 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I never thought I'd be able to give up my flat-iron.

I never thought I'd switch back to henna.

AJoifulNoise
April 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I never would have thought I'd be putting honey in my hair. :eek:

DragonLady
April 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I never imagined I would literally soak my head in catnip tea.

DragonLady
April 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I never, ever, ever imagined I would soak my head in catnip tea once a week for months.

DragonLady
April 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM
And I absolutely never thought that I would, under any circumstances, brag in public about soaking my head in catnip tea once a week. :)

jera
April 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I never thought I'd be able to give up my blow dryer, my curling iron and my hair brush. And I never thought I'd like the way my hair looks better without them. :p

amaiaisabella
April 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I never thought I would've gone red- and sought to get redder! :)

Peregrine
April 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I would've never thought that I would be putting oil in my hair instead of taking it out.

Suldrun
April 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I never would have gently finger combed my hair everyday..I was a rip through it with a brush well wet kinda girl Yikes!

I never imagined I would be putting coochie cream on my scalp!

I never dreamed I would forgo conditioner and use catnip tea instead???

I never thought I would braid my hair or sleep on a satin pillow case every night.

The only updo I had before LHC was a ponytail pulled through the back of a baseball cap lol

enfys
April 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I never thought I'd have a bottle of vinegar in my bathroom to soak my hair in.

Elphie
April 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I never thought I'd be able to go days without washing my hair and actually like it!

Isilme
April 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I never though I'd be able to grow my hair this long and not take off five inches two times a year!

Jessikinz
April 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I never thought I would put oil in my hair.

I never thought I would use a comb instead of a cheap damaging hair brush.

I never thought I would air dry my hair and stop blow drying it.

LHGypsyRose
April 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I would've never pictured myself being so crazy over hair toys!
I never thought I would be washing my hair with pastes, teas, herbs, shampoo bars etc.

AmyJorgensen
April 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I never thought I would put my hair up.
I never thought I would buy Suave conditioner and snub my Pantene.
I never thought I would put oil in my hair.

kdaniels8811
April 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I never thought:

my hair would actually grow!

I would go a week without washing my hair and give up shampoo entirely

I would happily wear it up all the time

I would actually spend hours in front of my computer making friends with people I have never me but feel like I know very well! Has Katze had that baby YET???

I never thought I would give up salon visits, haircuts, and expensive treatments (that did not work)

I did not think the long hair journey could be so much fun!

Oh, I never imagined I would browse the swap boards and e-bay for hair toys. I am so addicted...

Laurel32
April 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I never thought I would wash my hair with conditioner only and pour diluted vinegar in my hair.

Electric Sky
April 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Oh, I love all of the responses! Especially the ones about catnip tea. Isn't it just crazy?

I never would have thought I'd spend 20 minutes every night putting oil in my hair and putting a big ripped up, funny looking strip of a sheet over my head to sleep in.
I never would have thought I'd be using my moms smelly, brown herbal, sillicone free conditioner instead of my cherished 3MM.
I never thought I'd actually care if I heard little ripping sounds when I brushed. Now if even one hair breaks, the sound haunts me all day.

EdG
April 8th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I would go more than two days without shampooing. :hmm:

I would measure my shed hairs. :uhh:

And record the date. :shake:

And save them (*). :shocked:
Ed

(*) The next step in this progression would be to give each shed hair a serial number. I don't think I'll do that quite yet. :D

rose_in_bloom
April 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I never thought I'd:

-Use conditioner to wash my hair
-Pour tea and/or vinegar on my hair
-Use cheap shampoos and conditioners instead of all the $30 per bottle salon stuff I used before
-Put oil in my hair (pre-LHC, that would have made me cringe to just think about it!)
-Soak my hair in coconut milk
-Actually THINK about the health of my hair at all and take care of it
-Not wash my hair every single day

I'm seeing some patterns here...a lot of our answers are similar!

Roseate
April 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I never would have thought to wear a granny cap to bed at night! (even though I used to complain about lying on my own hair...)

Natalia
April 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I never thought id be putting vinager on my hair

I never thought id have more oils and food items in my bathroomt han my kitchen

I never thought id have more hair concoctions than food in my fridge.

I never thought id learn so many hairstyles for anything past shoulder length and id always have plain boring hair

Tangles
April 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Though I was never a heavy heat user, I never thought I would be able to eliminate heat entirely.

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I ... that a braid could not be my go-to style. All those little hairs that work themselves free grab onto each other and knot up. Braids are a nightmare (sob! - and all that time I spent learning how to achieve fancy braids on myself).

smilinjenn71
April 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I never ever would have thought I would put Monistat (earlier called coochie cream...LOL) in my hair!!:agape:

I never thought I would use natural things to color my hair: YAY HENDIGO!:joy:

eclecticaurora
April 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I would've never thought I'd grow my hair long...I was always a short hair girl and suddenly after 26 years I decided I wanted long hair.

I would've never though I'd put oil ON my hair.

lora410
April 8th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I never though I would be using monistat, vinager, cheap conditioner, and oil on my hair. And I never thought I woudl give up my blow dryer

Curlsgirl
April 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Never thought my hair would look better NOT using a blow dryer and curling/straight iron than using them!

Never thought I would reach for a lighter non-cone conditioner instead of one loaded with all the cones I could get and like how my hair came out MUCH better!

Never thought I would grow to waist for the first time at 49 years old and get all kinds of compliments for the first time on it too!

hennaphile
April 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I never thought I would put monostat on my head!

Rebelkat
April 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I would've never thought that I would spend more money on stuff for my hair than I do clothes. And that's not a joke, either, I've only spent $80 on clothes in the past year and at least $140 on natural soap, hair oils, shears, hair toys, and conditioner (NOT including the money other people have spent on hair stuff for me!!!).

I would've never thought that I'd completely give up heat styling. I now let my hair do what it's going to do without fighting it. I even flinch when other people heat style.

On a related note: I would've never thought that I would be able to embrace my hair's natural state and like it BETTER than when I tortured it with dyes, bleach, heat styling, etc.

I would've never thought that I would read the ingredients on hair care products before even considering using them.

I would've never thought that I would use food items on my hair.

I DEFINITELY never thought that I would be able to trim my own hair and not have to depend on a hairdresser to do it for me.

Okay, I better stop this now or else I'll take up an entire page. I would've never thought that my list would be this long. :redgrin:

Elenna
April 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Never thought that I'd precondition hair with coconut oil, wash, condition again, rinse with citric acid, rinse, and put a leave in with mostly inexpensive products.

Also I tried bar soap in hair, and soapnuts in hair. Ditto catnip, coffee, hibisics, cinnamon, cassia, tea, sage, rosemary, and nettle in hair!

RavennaNight
April 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I would have never thought....

I would learn how to use a hairstick.

I would use henna and indigo instead of box dye.

I would not use the blowdryer in the winter.

My hair would get straighter by air-drying.(I'm still confused about that one)

Peter
April 8th, 2009, 08:15 PM
First of all, I never thought I'd have long hair. :cheese:
I never thought I'd abandon shampoo and use conditioner to clean my hair.
I never thought I'd put olive oil (for cooking) in my hair.

But most of all, I never thought that having long hair would cause incessant mockery, insults, and disapproval until it got past shoulder length. :(

HairColoredHair
April 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I never thought I'd:

buy food items specifically for my hair
keep said food items in the bathroom
own a ficcare
own hairsticks
know how to USE hairsticks
put my hair up all the time
know more than one way to put up my hair

WelshLocks
April 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I never thought I'd use apple cider vinegar anywhere near my body, let alone my head.

I never thought I'd be able to grow my hair past my shoulders and it look pretty. I've received so many comments on how beautiful my hair is now.Albeit, it's only at 22-24 inches(debating over which still) people really have taken notice.

I never thought I'd be able to give up my hair brush.

Honestwitness
April 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm still a newbie, and I have some questions from reading these posts.

* Why do you use the cheap shampoos and conditioners, instead of the expensive ones?

* When you tried bar soap in your hair, how did it turn out?

* How did you stop using your hair dryer in winter? Did you stop washing your hair before leaving the house, or did you get up extra early to air dry it, or did you just freeze?

Electric Sky
April 8th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Honestwitness, I don't know about some of your other questions, but we (or at least, I) use cheap shampoos and conditioners because I don't need to use fancy ones to achieve pretty hair, since I mostly just use catnip tea and coconut oil, Suave conditioner is just to make it smell nice and detangle it.

HairColoredHair
April 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM

* Why do you use the cheap shampoos and conditioners, instead of the expensive ones?

* How did you stop using your hair dryer in winter? Did you stop washing your hair before leaving the house, or did you get up extra early to air dry it, or did you just freeze?

Generally, there is little difference in the general concept behind shampoo and conditioner across all price ranges. For many people, the cheap ones work just as well. In fact, for me, since I use so much conditioner, cheap is very good! And I see no difference between them most of the time. Especially when I add honey, the cheap conditioner moisturizes just as well or better.

When I did bar soap it went badly... shampoo bars went much better. But when I tried soap I had no idea what I was doing...

I've never used a hair dryer. I wash my hair at night most of the time anyway.

Debra83
April 8th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I NEVER thought that I would log so many HOURS and HOURS on a long hair site, and fall in love with all the other members like I have. :D

I NEVER thought that one my major and more expensive hobbies would be watching and documenting HOW FAST MY HAIR GROWS!!!!

I NEVER thought that I would put so MANY PLANT THINGIES in my HAIR!!!!

DragonLady
April 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Because the ingredients are almost identical. And the more I experiement, the more I discover that shampoo in general is just way too strong. So now I buy cheap Flex because I like the smell and dilute it 50/50. It works just as well, and I bought two bottles back in September, and one is still half full. I used to buy fancy stuff because I thought it would be better, but after I found this forum I went and compared the ingredients and found that the cheap stuff is almost identical I decided the money was better spent on other stuff. :)

I used to use bar soap as a child, as my parents refused to buy shampoo. :mad: It makes your hair a real mess. I suggest if you use it for any reason, make it rarely, rinse 'till you're waterlogged, and use a lot of conditioner.

During the winter, I bathe and wash my hair at night when the house is warm. During the summer I enjoy sitting on my porch in the sunshine. But I live in a warm climate. If I had to go out in the snow and freezing wind, I'd probably use a blow dryer on very low heat and hold it as far away from my head as I could reach.

Teazel
April 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I never thought I'd want to grow my hair past classic length. :lol:

LHC has me doing all kinds of things I never would have thought of, but most of them are not hair-related. :D

viking_quest
April 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I never thought I'd:

grow out my hair
use vinegar rinses on my scalp
wash twice a week
ever use conditioner again
use hairtoys
put my hair up almost every day

Natalia
April 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Im adding on one -

I never though id be logging on here as fast as possible to update the friends ive made on what new product or method i wanted to/did buy/do!

I seriosuly just did this :p. Congratulate me on my first offical CO wash! I love you all so much <3

ancilla
April 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM
-I never thought I'd be putting Monistat on my scalp
-I never thought I'd find a holy grail in cheapo Suave conditioners
-I never thought I'd ever be able to stop dying my hair with chemicals
-I never ever ever EVER thought I'd ever be able to give up straightening my hair with an iron. WOW.

kwaniesiam
April 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I never thought I'd sit for hours with what looks like horsey poop on my head to make my hair red.

I never thought I'd find a way to have HEALTHY hair that is dyed red.

I never thought I'd see the end to my massive shedding and see an increase in thickness.

I never imagined I'd put something edible on my hair, and LIKE it.

but...most of all I never even dreamed I'd spend SO much time on an online messageboard :lol:

Hairytale
April 9th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I would have never thought I'd stop washing my hair.
I would have never thought I'd wear my hair up every day.

karli
April 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I never thought I would feel good about not brushing my hair, instead of lazy

janeytilllie
April 9th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I never thought I would use a shampoo bar/hair soap to wash my hair instead of shampoo.

I also never thought I would use coconut oil as a conditioner. :)

magpielaura
April 9th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I never thought that I would be able to get away with keeping the sun damaged bits of my hair for so long. I was just about thinking that a big chop was the way to go when I found LHC and discovered that ditching shampoo and using the occasional deep conditioning treatment would revive the straw! Am now trimming it off gradually and doing all the right things to prevent accumulating such heavy damage again. Now my eventual aim is to grow long-long hair!

magpielaura
April 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I never thought I would take part in a lucky-dip craft swap with people from all over the world I had never met.:D

Avalonna
April 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I never thought it could be possible for my slippery hair to be held up by one stick.
I never thought I'd spend so much time on a hair website!

Seraphina
April 9th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I never thought that it was possible for me to go one day without using a brush.
I never thought that I'd be using up nearly a whole bottle of conditioner before I was a third of the way through the shampoo (it used to be the other way round !)

Deimos
April 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I never thought that I would like wearing my hair up more than down!
I never thought that my hair could still grow :D

neon-dream
April 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I never thought I'd give up my straighteners, or start using shampoo bars!

I never thought I would rinse my hair in vinegar.

KajiKodomo
April 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I never thought I would enjoy long hair. My mother always told me that I would have horrible headaches and that it was a pain, so I always kept it short. I've since found out that she was wrong, haha. :D

JamieLeigh
April 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I would've never thought I'd be EMBRACING my waves instead of hiding them by straightening my hair every time I washed.

And I would've never thought I'd only wash twice a week, with NO SHAMPOO. :rockerdud

templeofvenus
April 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I would never have thought I would give up my flat iron :)

camirra555
April 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I never thought I'd give up shampoo
I never thought I'd only use a special brush on my hair (Denman) and throw away the others
I never thought I wouldn't miss my flat iron

CrystalStar
April 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I never thought I'd lovingly apply mud to my hair, wrap it up and keep it on all night! :p

Spike
April 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I never thought I could style my own hair. Wedding updos and the like were "impossible." But really it's just division and pincurls . . . hmmmm. Grow little hairs, grow!!

I never thought I would wash my skin and my hair with the same product. But I <3 Dairy Whip--soft skin and no dandruff!

I never thought I'd put honey in my hair . . . or olive oil . . . or cinnamon. Or all of them at once to change the color.

Nynaeve
April 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I never thought I would finally get mostly away from ponytail ties one day.

ungratefulgirl
April 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Oh my, that's so true. I recently bought organic cone free sulfate free shampoo from the super market that was way less expensive than the shampoo I used to buy. I went to cosmetology school, and their view on shampoo was just WRONG, it ruined my hair and was too expensive.

ShaSha
April 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I never thought it could be possible for my slippery hair to be held up by one stick.
I never thought I'd spend so much time on a hair website!
:)

I never thought that it would be possible to get clean my hair with a raw egg.

I never thought that I'd put oil on my hair.

I never thought, that I'd be reluctant to tell people what I do to clean and condition my hair.

julya
April 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I would've never pictured myself being so crazy over hair toys!
I never thought I would be washing my hair with pastes, teas, herbs, shampoo bars etc.

I agree about the hair toys! I never thought I would buy multiple hair toys that cost over $40! I just tell myself that at least it's the only jewelry I buy.

LilyMunster
April 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I never thought I would give up the blow dryer. Don't even miss it now. I never thought I could get just washed ringlets to stay with natural ingredients as leave ins. Namely aloe vera gel and jojoba oil.
I never thought I would feel 'better' with my hair up. After 30 inches 'up' is definately better.
I never thought I would maintain at 36 inches to increase thickness. I never thought I would even reach hip length. But here I am.:cool:

Heavenly Locks
April 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I never thought I would stop using shampoo. I mean, shampoo is what cleans your hair right? ;)
I never thought that I would be so excited to wear it UP.
I never thought there was so much you could DO with long hair.
I never thought I'd be able to see myself with anthing longer than "hip" length. Now, I'm not sure where my goal is!
I never thought that I'd learn so much about products/techniques that don't come in a commercial bottle!
I never though that I would be SO happy with my hair!

tina1025
April 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I never thogh i'd use soapnuts to wash my hair :)

elizza
April 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I never ever thought I'd be able to give up my flat-iron.
I never thought I'd ever manage to dutch braid.
I never thought I'd spend considerable money on such things as hairtoys.:p

Fiferstone
April 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
That I could go three days between washings, thanks to CWC, misting on days 2 and 3, and brushing with a BBB

RoseRedDead
April 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I never thought I'd be such a conditioner crack-head. :silly: