PDA

View Full Version : bentonite clay for hair cleansing and treatments

ratgirldjh
April 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM
does anyone still use this? i just found about 500 lbs of this clay in granular form in our storage shed. seems we use it to clean up oil messes on concrete, etc. it is the same thing as cheap non-scented cat litter.

it is 100% bentonite clay granules.

i have ground it up and made a powder of it before and made masks with ACV or without and also used it as a hair cleanser with or without ACV.

somewhere on here i saw the bentonite and sea salt treatment and i've tried that also. the addition of sea salt seemed to make my hair far less staticky than with plain water or ACV.

in the past i've also enjoyed using it for a quick facial cleanser: wet face, take a few fingerfulls and rub between hands and scrub face, rinse, rinse, rinse

was wondering if anyone has any recipes or such using bentonite clay since i have found a BUNCH of it.

ccmuffingirl
January 5th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Bumping. I'm curious about this subject as well as any hair mask recipes anyone can provide using bentonite clay :).

tiare_petal
January 5th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Mellie says she uses it with great results.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2718&page=8
I've just bought mine but I'm shy about trying it :o :D

ccmuffingirl
January 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Mellie says she uses it with great results.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2718&page=8
I've just bought mine but I'm shy about trying it :o :D

Thanks for posting the link. Her hair is very beautiful and shiny :). I've used bentonite clay before, with only water, but I was thinking of using it in combinations with herbs and oils, since I have dry hair and scalp. I read on one website that sells bentonite clay that you can mix it with coconut milk, herbs, and other things, so I'm going to give it a try mixing it with coconut oil and hibiscus and/or fenugreek and see how everything works out. I'm probably going to use 2 spoonfuls of bentonite, some coconut oil, and a spoonful or two of each of the other powders. I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up :D.

lovelylaura
September 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
I am interested in trying this method as well. I've had itchy/dry scalp (JUST at the nape of neck) and am looking to go more natural. (I also think I may have contact dermatitis from wearing a disposeable lab coat at work.) I am currently CO every 4 days, but I worry that maybe conditioner is clogging my scalp pores?? Even though i've been clarifying I've had to switch conditioners every couple months because the hair doesn't seem to get as clean as it used to. I just switched back from Biolage (the one in the tub) no cones/no proteins, to Ocean Breeze Suave (no cones/no proteins). I know my hair doesn't like cones or proteins, wonder how it will react to clay, and where I can get some relatively cheap.

tiare_petal
September 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
My adventure with bentonite ended early :rolleyes: It's kind of hard to rinse out, I made it too thick and it was cement-like. After my hair dried, it looked good&clean but on the other day it looked oily on the length :shrug:

marisa
September 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
I will have to try it.
Currently I just mix it with ACV for a facial mask.

sarahpuff
September 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone I'm new :) I am trying to do the all natural hair thing again. Don't like chemicals and want to save money too. I tried doing diluted liquid castile soap with a ACV rinse, but it left my hair gummy. I don't think my hair likes soap. It needs something more cleansing, so this morning I tried bentonite clay mixed with ACV just on the roots/scalp and my hair feels like straw and it looks pretty dry and poofy. And it's tangled. I rinsed it out really well so I'm not sure what went wrong. I rinsed with some very diluted ACV too because my hair felt tangly. It felt nice and soft and silky in the shower, and it was easy to comb when I got out, but now that it's dry it feels awful! :( I think I may have hard water, could that be the problem?

I have very fine hair (although it doesn't feel like it right now!), but I have a lot of it. It kind of feels like the clay is still stuck in my hair, but I know I rinsed it out really well! Could I have left it on too long? It was on for maybe 2-3 minutes. Or maybe I used too much clay? I think I did 2 tsp with about 1 oz (1/8 c.) ACV. I didn't put it all on my hair though, that was too much. Or maybe the ACV is making my hair weird? I guess I should just try different things, but if anyone has any advice or experience I would greatly appreciate it! :)

weatherwax
September 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I haven't tried bentonite but had good luck with rhassoul clay. It worked best when mixed thin, like what potters call "slip". I added 1-2 T to 1/2 c water and let it sit overnight. I poured it through the scalp and let it sit about 10 minutes before rinsing and following with an acv rinse (1T to 2c water). My hair was definitely clean and bouncy, though not as shiny as I eventually wanted. Other people here seem to have gotten great shine with it, just not me.

Too much clay definitely gave me hair like you describe. I suspect the straight acv was drying too. My memory is that bentonite is more drying than rhassoul, but I could be wrong . . .

I don't think you've killed your hair or anything, but it may take awhile to wash out. Maybe a lengthy conditioning or a cwc would do it.

sibylla
September 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I wrote about bentonite clay a while back:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8437&highlight=sibyllas

Sibyllas Secret Softness Treatment

sarahpuff
October 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hmm...so this morning I "washed" my hair with a mixture of this: bentonite, ACV, honey, egg, almond milk, and grapeseed oil. I made sure to rinse really, really well. I also put grapeseed oil on my hair the night before, not a lot, but I think that in addition to the oil I put in the clay mixture was too much because my hair is stringy. Darn it! :( At least it's not gummy or dry and poofy though and it's not tangled. Maybe the almond milk was a bad idea too I don't know it just sounded like a good idea! lol...I was trying to make some kind of weekly protein/cleansing/moisturizing treatment...so next time I will try it without the oil. I sure wish I could just get clean, soft, shiny hair that's not tangled, greasy, stringy, poofy and without chemicals! Ugh...

I'm probably hurting my hair by washing it too much too. I was only washing it 2x/week but since I started "experimenting" I've been washing it every day because it's ended up oily or gummy every time. I think I am going to try baking soda/ACV tomorrow, haven't tried that yet, but I'm kind of afraid it might hurt me. I'm sensitive! lol

shawty
October 1st, 2010, 10:45 AM
A Youtube makeup guru, Michelle Phan, has a face-cleansing routine using this. I'd like to try it. =)

Taliysoma
August 8th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Just tries my first bentonite mask and my hair feels rejuvenated! I used aloe ceramic juice and amla oil to mix. My hair feels so clean and soft. Great detox. I used sodium bentonite haven't tried calcium but adding this to my weekly regimen for sure !

Taliysoma
August 8th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Just tried *my first bentonite mask and my hair feels rejuvenated! I used aloe ceramic juice and amla oil to mix. My hair feels so clean and soft. Great detox. I used sodium bentonite haven't tried calcium but adding this to my weekly regimen for sure !
It's also great as a face and body mask! So soft, I'm obsessed