PDA

View Full Version : wouldn't waist length hair be best......

jojo
April 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
determined by elbow length? Like if you hang your arms down, the waist is normally level with the elbows, mine is anyway.

What do you all think? There always seem to be a debate to where waist length actually starts, some say its level with the naval? the smallest part of the torso which nips in, like what about the larger long hairs? elbow length seems a more accurate point to me.

Roseate
April 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I think it might vary with arm length- some people have long arms but shorter torsos and this method might not work for them.

It works for me, though! That's how I used to measure my hair, along my arm rather than by where it fell on my back. My elbows match up with what I consider my waist, but my navel is a little higher than that.

Ursula
April 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I'd say waist length hair is best determined by the natural waist - the narrowest portion of the torso. What you're describing I'd just call "elbow length", since you're using the elbow as the measure.

Why complicate things by calling something by a name other than what it actually is?

Himesama
April 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I have monkey arms and my elbows are just a tad above the top of my hip bones. But then, my torso is short, so waist is only 2 or 3 inches above that.
Since it is your hair, shouldn't you get to decide where waist is on you?
-v

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Elbow length is waist length on me.

I used to measure waist length by cinching a belt around my middle (always the same belt) and waiting for my ends to touch it, then overlap it, then pass it! Wow - that was exciting; doesn't sound it, though.

Naava
April 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't work for me, I'm one of those with short torsos and long arms.

jojo
April 8th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I'd say waist length hair is best determined by the natural waist - the narrowest portion of the torso. What you're describing I'd just call "elbow length", since you're using the elbow as the measure.

Why complicate things by calling something by a name other than what it actually is?
Yes I understand that but what about larger people, not everybody has a part of the torso which is narrower.
I was not aware there was an elbow length? is there?:)

Islandgrrl
April 8th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Waist length is actually about an inch above the point of my elbow. But I have gorilla arms. They're pretty long.

morguebabe
April 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I have really long arms and a really short torso. My elbows sit about 2 inches past my hip bone.

jojo
April 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM

I used to measure waist length by cinching a belt around my middle (always the same belt) and waiting for my ends to touch it, then overlap it, then pass it! Wow - that was exciting; doesn't sound it, though.
that sounds like a plan Stan! mmm..wheres me belt?!

Feye
April 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
My elbows are a bit further down than my waist. My belly button too for that matter, it is instead located closer to hip length. I'd say that the narrowest part of the torso will be the waist and easy to measure even if we are of different shapes :)

Now, here comes another tricky part: Are we supposed to be waist length from the back or from the front? V-cut or U-cut shapes could be closer to bra strap in front but waist in the back. :lol:

Beldaran
April 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't say that waist length would be best determined by elbow positioning, but I could see the term waist length being replaced by the term elbow length.

I know there was a discussion where people commented that belly buttons and elbows are not always right at waist. My elbows are, my belly button isn't.

GlennaGirl
April 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I would really just go by the smallest part of the waist since everyone's proportions are different. ETA: Oh, I'm sorry...I didn't see where you commented that some people don't have a definite waist. But you do so for your purposes, just go by the smallest part. :)

Roseate
April 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Yes I understand that but what about larger people, not everybody has a part of the torso which is narrower.

That's my mom! She has no waist, at any weight. Never has done; her ribs are as wide as her hips, and it's a straight line in between. Maybe a little wider at the belly these days. Lucky her, I guess she can claim waist length any time she wants.:p

Periwinkle
April 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM

My hair has reached the narrowest point of my torso, but you only have to glance at it to realise that it's absolutely not waist length. I can't use a belt either, since I prefer hipsters and other low trousers (so my belts go round my hips), so I'm waiting for my navel to declare myself at waist.

Elbow length is just below the narrowest point of my torso on me.

Ursula
April 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I was not aware there was an elbow length? is there?:)

Then they can call it "elbow length," if they find that their elbows are a good way to reference the length of their hair.

I've seen people describe hair as elbow length, before, although it isn't common. Elbows are tricky, as they are on arms, and arms tend to be constantly moving, making it tricker to judge where your hair lies in relation to them. Even a slight shrug of your shoulders can make a difference. But if it is easier for you to measure your hair by your elbows than your waist, rather than vice-versa as it is for many people, then go for it.

But trying to make a rule saying we'll treat elbow length hair as the same as waist length hair, when they aren't actually the same for everyone, makes little sense.

MsBubbles
April 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
That's my mom! She has no waist, at any weight. Never has done; her ribs are as wide as her hips, and it's a straight line in between. Maybe a little wider at the belly these days. Lucky her, I guess she can claim waist length any time she wants.:p

Wow! I bet she had an easy time buying jeans to fit!

No, actually it does!! That's why I love this place :)

Monkey-arms here too, and belly button well below my waist. My waist gets lower though, the skinnier I get, if my diets ever work.

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM
My hair has reached the narrowest point of my torso, but you only have to glance at it to realise that it's absolutely not waist length. I can't use a belt either, since I prefer hipsters and other low trousers (so my belts go round my hips), so I'm waiting for my navel to declare myself at waist.

The belt doesn't have to go on the jeans you know. I tie a shoelace around my waist and see how much hair passed it and by how much. :)

violetflower
April 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM

My elbows come to below my waist on me.. Spidermom I LOVE your hair! :crush: It has been a long time since I posted here!

Phalaenopsis
April 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I have apparently a short torso, 'cause elbowlength and hiplength are the same on me :o

enfys
April 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have a high waist, low belly button, long upper arms and fairly long arms (for a 5'3" person!).

Elbow is below hip length for me.

I think it only works as a personal marker, like I'm aiming for wrist. That will vary, but you should have a rough idea.

I use my tape measure around my waist to measure against, since I'm not using it for measuring length but I'm probably checking both at once!

eyesofsummer
April 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'd say that my 'waist' is elbow length, bu the skinniest part of my torso is only like a few inches below BSL...however, if I were skinnier, my natural waist would fall closer to my elbows :p

Morningglory
April 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM
;) It is a good measure for me! My elbows are right at my waist. Also, my favorite part about growing my hair long for me is feeling it on my arms and when it sits at my elbow when my arm is bent etc...so far.

Once I noticed in an old picture how much I liked my hair in the picture because it flowed very nicely around my elbow. I waited so long for my hair to be that length again, and now it is!

I am at elbow length! I love it!:bigtongue:

However, now that you mention it, I find it to be very interesting to notice what part of the body other peoples elbows reach! I am sure that now I will be checking that out on everyones siggy pictures like on this thread!

I myself had thought that it was the same elbow=waist?

rhubarbarin
April 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Elbow length is more hip length on me, but I have a very short/high waist.

ZaBasDa
April 8th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Elbow is belly-button length on me, which is almost hip length.

Anje
April 8th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Doesn't work for me. My elbows are about 2 inches below my hip bones. My waist is several inches further up.

(ETA: A bit of lovehandle pudge doesn't help -- it's got my waist about 3 inches up from my hips, so 5" above my elbows. Not that I'd ever wear pants there! But with a short torso like mine, waist is never going to drop below my hips to where my elbows are. )

bjjowett1993
April 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Waist is defined by the narrowest part of the hourglass figure, the navel (bellybutton), and if you don't have an hourglass figure, it is still level with the belly button/navel. :)

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Doesn't work for me. My elbows are about 2 inches below my hip bones. My waist is several inches further up.
What? It doesn't look this way in your siggy though. I can't possibly imagine your hips being 2 inches above your elbows. :confused:

MsBubbles
April 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Waist is defined by the narrowest part of the hourglass figure, the navel (bellybutton), and if you don't have an hourglass figure, it is still level with the belly button/navel. :)

The narrowest part of my hourglass figure and my bellybutton are two entirely different places. There are a good 2 inches between them. I have ridiculously high, sticky-out hipbones (helps even out my sticky-out ears) and my bellybutton sits pretty close to my widest expanse of hip.

JamieLeigh
April 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM
My elbows are actually around what most here would consider "hip" on my body, past my waist. Thanks to that darn short torso of mine. :p

AnnaMarie
April 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I consider waist length to be at my belly button. Its halfway between the narrowest part of my torso and my hip (I have a really long torso and, sadly, very short legs:rolleyes: Although if I was to grow to knee, once I'm past hip it should be a breeze!;) lol) My elbows sit pretty much at the narrowest part of my torso.

AnneAdeline
April 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
My elbows are below my waist. It's great, because that's another small goal that I can look forward to.

Unnamed
April 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Like some of the others with short torsos my elbows hit about 1-2" below my hip bones depending on how I'm standing/where my arms are.

Narrowest part around is currently about 3" above my belly button, which is 1" above my hip bones. At the bottom of my weight range 'waist' moves down a tad, but it's still above my belly button by *at least* an inch. My waist will never be as low as my elbows, as that would put my waist below the hip bones, and it doesn't belong there.

So it might be a good personal marker (if your elbows and waist are the same, or if say your elbows are between waist and hip and one wants an extra 'goal' marker), but it certainly shouldn't be a 'rule' for everyone as it's not always true.

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM

I didn't put on a belt with pants. I'd cinch it around my bare middle. Even if you can't see a defined waist, a belt tends to settle at the mid-point between where the rib cage narrows down and the hips flare out.

Tangles
April 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
My elbows almost reach my hips too. My natural waist is way higher than my navel and hips; I have a very long stomach though the rest of my torso is short.

Xandergrammy
April 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Jojo, you're going to make me go look for pictures of my elbows, aren't you? I'll let you know my answer to your question after I've found some pictures. :gabigrin:

ETA: My elbows are below my waist, and if my arms weren't so fat, they'd probably be at hip length. Waist on me is at my belly button.

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM

(ETA: A bit of lovehandle pudge doesn't help -- it's got my waist about 3 inches up from my hips, so 5" above my elbows. Not that I'd ever wear pants there! But with a short torso like mine, waist is never going to drop below my hips to where my elbows are. )

In your sig picture, it looks like your elbows are a little lower than your natural waist, but they don't appear to fall below your hip bones, although I know they'd be at a different place if your arms were hanging free.

Natalia
April 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
determined by elbow length? Like if you hang your arms down, the waist is normally level with the elbows, mine is anyway.

What do you all think? There always seem to be a debate to where waist length actually starts, some say its level with the naval? the smallest part of the torso which nips in, like what about the larger long hairs? elbow length seems a more accurate point to me.

I agree with you from a technical standpoint. If you ask the average woman with a pretty typical (and beautiful) figure and a garment maker they will probably both say your waist is the narrowest part of your torso. But for me when i *think* of long waist length hair which is where i want to be i think of like where low rise pants hit in the back. I have no idea why but whats where i assosiate wait and hair together, go figure?

Jeni
April 8th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I ad to go look in the mirror and figure out where my elbows hit on my body. I *think* they hit about waist length on me so that works. I have a long torso and the distance between waist and hip on me seems small. I am a large women but I do have a waist, its at my belly button. I think when your larger it can be harder to figure out where your natural waist is since tying a string around your body doesn't always work (doesn't for me since I carry some weight right above my waist in front)

I only know about where my waist is because I had to figure it out when making a corset for reenacting. I guess my waist is lower then normal because every pattern I have ever dealt with has the waist hitting my ribs.

Nat242
April 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm another whose elbows would be a better indicator of hip than waist.

bte
April 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
The whole waist question is complicated when you add men to the equation, whose waists are (generally) lower and only just above the hip. I have always thought that waist band length is easier to define, although it would take a bit longer to get there.

Chanterelle
April 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I'm another one with short torso and long arms - my elbows are some 2 inches below waist and very slighly above hip bones.

Ursula
April 9th, 2009, 01:37 AM
The whole waist question is complicated when you add men to the equation, whose waists are (generally) lower and only just above the hip. I have always thought that waist band length is easier to define, although it would take a bit longer to get there.

It all depends. Pants have ranged in style from having waists well above the natural waist, to waists that are low on the hips. The waistbands of skirts are even more variable, from empire waists to dropped waists. Which is why the various markers tend to get tied to the body rather than fashion - fashion is even more unpredictable and unreliable a measure than the body.

Anje
April 9th, 2009, 02:11 AM
In your sig picture, it looks like your elbows are a little lower than your natural waist, but they don't appear to fall below your hip bones, although I know they'd be at a different place if your arms were hanging free.

Ugh... late night, and yet rather than go to bed, I'm posting to LHC at 4am. Idiot that I am, doing the semester's project the night that it's due...

Anyway, to answer this, I'm wearing the same pants, and I can say that they sit a bit below my hip bones. You'll want to note that I'm talking about the very top of the iliac crest, not the part that protrudes in front, which is somewhat lower. My belly button is about an inch below the top of my hips, and you really can't see the thinnest part of my waist in that picture -- my hair is obscuring it a bit. But I'm proportioned a bit strangely, and I can only get 2-3 fingers between ribcage and the hip bone when I'm sitting fairly aligned. I've got about a vertical foot of rear end, though (something the pants seem to accentuate), so while tailbone was about 35", classic won't be until 45".

I sometimes end up buying tall pants and petite tops (though the sleeves can be short). Meanwhile, one day I'm going to have someone who knows what they're doing count my vertebrae to see if I have the usual number.

Old thinner-ends pic from September has my hands on my hips. You can't really see waist here either because the shirt isn't close, but it's a little more visible.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=22193

karli
April 9th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I find this discussion amusing, when I was in taylorschool we had the same. Waist is the narrowest part of the body, but the varieties are big. There are standard measurment for waist, hip and so on, but sometimes you just have to decide that this is my waist.
There are almost noone that exactly measure up to standard sizes!

cynthia.md
April 25th, 2009, 04:33 AM
My elbows are lower than my natural waist so this method wouldn't work for me.
Waist is just the smallest part of your torso, no need to complicate things further :P

crystal_89
April 25th, 2009, 07:25 AM
My elbows are higher than my waist. My hair was brushing my elbows when I walked 6 months before I would call my hair waist length.

Katrina
April 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I'm one of those with short torsos and long arms, too. Elbows are lower than my waist. Wouldn't work for me :(

rhubarbarin
April 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Ugh... late night, and yet rather than go to bed, I'm posting to LHC at 4am. Idiot that I am, doing the semester's project the night that it's due...

Anyway, to answer this, I'm wearing the same pants, and I can say that they sit a bit below my hip bones. You'll want to note that I'm talking about the very top of the iliac crest, not the part that protrudes in front, which is somewhat lower. My belly button is about an inch below the top of my hips, and you really can't see the thinnest part of my waist in that picture -- my hair is obscuring it a bit. But I'm proportioned a bit strangely, and I can only get 2-3 fingers between ribcage and the hip bone when I'm sitting fairly aligned. I've got about a vertical foot of rear end, though (something the pants seem to accentuate), so while tailbone was about 35", classic won't be until 45".

I sometimes end up buying tall pants and petite tops (though the sleeves can be short). Meanwhile, one day I'm going to have someone who knows what they're doing count my vertebrae to see if I have the usual number.

We have a very similar skeletal shape. I have a short waist and long hips (I'm all rear), with only an inch between the bones of my pelvis and my lower ribs.

This gives me some problems in yoga. In certain positions my ribs will catch on my pelvis, and because the small of my back is so very short I'm limited with it comes to making a U shape with my spine, forward or backward. My teacher says it will be possible for me to lengthen a bit through the waist and increase my range of motion, but I'm never going to be able to do certain things.

I do have a normal amount of ribs and vertebrae (yes, they've been counted!), so I'm not sure how they fit together in such a strange way!

Deborah
April 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM
A person's waist is not that hard to find. If you bend from side to side, your torso will crease at some point, same if you bend backwards. That's your waist, and it will measure smaller than the rest of the torso nearby, unless you are swollen at the waist, e.g., pregnant or with a 'beer belly.' In those cases that spot is still your waist, but it may be larger than the surrounding torso.

People wear belts wherever they feel like, not necessarily at their waistline. So, often one's belt-line will not be the same as one's waist.

Waist has nothing to do with elbows or belly buttons. :)

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM
On me, "elbow length" is a whole 3 cm higher than my waist, and my navel is another 3 cm below that. I don't look like I have short arms, either.

Jules diamond
April 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM
My elbows are higher then waist too. They're about at the end of my ribcage.

royalscorpio
April 25th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Mine are lower. I'm high waisted.