PDA

View Full Version : Orange juice rinse?

lynnala
April 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm very anxious to try a lemon juice rinse in my hair, but I don't have any lemons on hand and I happen to have an orange tree in my yard which is loaded with oranges. I'm thinking of trying a rinse with the orange juice instead of lemons. I looked it up on the web and saw a few mentions of orange juice being great for skin and hair. Anyone tried it?

mugglemomof3
April 3rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'll be watching this thread with hope! I love using orange juice in my homemade cleaners and need to know if it would be good for my hair! I love oranges. :D

lynnala
April 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm going to try it this afternoon, I'll let you know what happens. I figure one time can't kill me (or my hair, rather!)

Silver & Gold
April 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I haven't tried it but I believe I've read of orange juice being used on hair before. Good luck, I'll be interested in your results.

Patrycja
April 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I use sweet orange EO in some of my hair recipes as a added scent.That would be a great idea,to use fresh oranges as a rinse.Let us know how it goes if you do decide to do it.Oh-and lucky you for having a orange tree!! :P

eta-have you tried to search the forums for Orange Juice? I just did for baby food and came up with the answer I needed.

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I would think it would not be totally different from lemon juice. Some people's hair does terrible with lemon juice (mine included), some does great. If anything orange I believe contains more natural sugar than lemon, so it might need more rinsing.

lynnala
April 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
I use sweet orange EO in some of my hair recipes as a added scent.That would be a great idea,to use fresh oranges as a rinse.Let us know how it goes if you do decide to do it.Oh-and lucky you for having a orange tree!! :P

eta-have you tried to search the forums for Orange Juice? I just did for baby food and came up with the answer I needed.I did try searching the forums and didn't come up with anything except a lot of orange eo's posts! And yeah, I am lucky with this orange tree, it is so loaded with oranges that we have oranges most of the year!

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'm just wandering how you would do this....because in my mind i'm thinking sticky residue and wasps....but i'd love to know how it turns out.

Shell
April 3rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
I tried it ages ago when all the citric acid stuff was going around. I didn't feel that it did anything really.

In India they use Orange powder on their skin and hair, but it's different than just juice--it's powdered orange peel. I have a box, but have yet to try it.

lynnala
April 3rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
I'm just wandering how you would do this....because in my mind i'm thinking sticky residue and wasps....but i'd love to know how it turns out.Well, I was planning on squeezing and straining a couple of oranges, adding water and rinsing with it. Would do a final water rinse though, I have those same thoughts of sticky sweet hair.

sapphire-o
April 4th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I'll be watching this thread. I just bought a bag of organic oranges that are very sour so nobody wanted to eat them. :) Maybe I can cook up hair concoctions.

ktani
April 4th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Orange juice has a pH similar to lemon juice around 2.8 - I recommend diluting well as a rinse.

Citris juices are photosensitizers.

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Well, I was planning on squeezing and straining a couple of oranges, adding water and rinsing with it. Would do a final water rinse though, I have those same thoughts of sticky sweet hair.

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry if i sounded discouraging......i never intended to be, i'll be keeping my fingers crossed it turns out nice for you :)

ktani
April 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Strained and well diluted - it should be fine - it should work just as well as a vinegar rinse.

It still might be sticky if not rinsed out. Experiment - maybe not.

Delilah
April 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Honey rinses work great and don't leave the hair sticky, oranges properly diluted might be just fine.
Let us know the results!

Patrycja
April 4th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Orange juice has a pH similar to lemon juice around 2.8 - I recommend diluting well as a rinse.

Citris juices are photosensitizers.

I was just going to add that :) Just beware putting orange EO or anything like that on your skin and hair within 24 hours of going out anywhere.

how are you going to take the pulp out?I would be concerned that the pulp would get stuck in your hair like banana and avacado does.

eta-nevermind,I saw that you have already planned to.I didn't read the thread throughly,like always :p

lynnala
April 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Honey rinses work great and don't leave the hair sticky, oranges properly diluted might be just fine.
Let us know the results!That's what I was thinking, I haven't tried honey, but if it doesn't leave hair sticky, I don't see why oranges would! I'm going to use the rinse today, I'll report in tonight.

ktani
April 4th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Honey can leave a residue.

If that happens with orange juice - shampoo or a vinegar rinse should take care of it.

lynnala
April 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well, I just tried it, and so far, so good! I washed with a CV shampoo bar, which, if you use them you know, they kind of leave a waxy feeling on the hair, which I don't mind because my hair is so fine it gives it great body. The orange rinse seemed to take away a bit of the waxiness, which is nice, but I still have a lot of body. My hair is very soft, no tangles, all in all, I'm very pleased so far! I used the juice of three small oranges and about a quart of warm tap water (we have soft tap water). I also massaged the rinse into my face because I've been reading on the web that orange juice is really great for the skin. So I'm going to keep this up for a while and see how it goes, since I have plenty of free oranges! I'll keep reporting back with updates as I go.

Delilah
April 4th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Sounds great.
I am another fine-haired CV bar user, it gives me lovely fluffy shiny hair. I generally use a vinegar/eo mix diluted for a rinse but I will give this a shot.
Vitamin C does have great brightening and anti-aging qualities on the skin too, I've been meaning to try a vitamin C serum.

lynnala
April 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Oh yeah, and it smells nice too!:D

ktani
April 5th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Great news that you are so pleased!

lynnala
April 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Day two after the OJ rinse, and I couldn't be happier with my hair! It's the perfect blend of body, soft with no frizzies. And no wasps circling my head either heehee!:hollie:

ktani
April 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
The no frizz aspect is great, but IMHO, the no wasp thing is the clincher, lol.

daisyflower
March 14th, 2015, 09:48 PM
anyone still using orange juice rinses? i can't seem to use vinegars nor lemon juice on my scalp without burning it. So i've recently started orange juice rinses after my "shampoo". So far so good, but it still leaves a residue more so than a vinegar rinse would. It feels very mild on my scalp and my scalp likes it. Hopefully there are others out there using orange juice rinses too. Do share your experience.

Anje
March 15th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Most of us seriously dilute our vinegar or lemon juice, for what it's worth. Doing any of these straight would be seriously irritating to many of us, but a Tablespoon in a cup or two of water can calm grumpy scalps by helping correct the pH of the acid mantle.

lapushka
March 15th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Yes, surely you aren't using these things straight, and without diluting? :shocked:

Arctic
March 15th, 2015, 05:34 PM
I used to do neat vinegar rinses on my hair, lol! No ill effects, but lot of good things for my scalp. My hair was not long then, and it was long before I joined LHC. I had read about the rinses and it probably did not even occur to me to dilute them :) I even used neat vinegar as a face toner for a while, but that didn't seem to do anything to me so I stopped. My friend, however, who tried the toner trick AND diluted hers, got her face really red and angry.

Anje
March 15th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Yeah, that stings too much on my skin, which is admittedly on the sensitive side. You should have seen my scalp the first time I hennaed, using nothing but lemon juice as liquid and leaving it on for a couple hours!

daisyflower
March 27th, 2015, 04:31 AM
ah, nope i don't do straight orange juice, i dilute it! can't imagine doing straight orange juice rinses. I've now moved on to something else acidic seeing orange juice leaves hair stickier.