PDA

View Full Version : Question: Working from Home? (hair care?)

marajade
April 8th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I started working from home the second week of February. My boyfriend was going to work at home (he and I work for the same company), but because of what he does, the set up was a little more complicated and it fell through. Therefore, I am by myself all day. He leaves in the morning about 7:30 am and I start at 8 am, many days it is very tempting to sleep in until 7:45, and then I pop out of bed, boot up my computer, make breakfast, and start working.

So, I guess my problem is this: how do those of you working at home do your hair? Do you just do what's convenient? Do you make plans to do your hair? What do you do?
I will admit, going from bed to computer most days has its advantage in that I can keep a braid (re braiding when necessary) and it probably prevents a lot of damage. I had a friend who is a fashionista (so to speak) and she said one of the things she misses is dressing up for work. I think this happening to me with my hair.

I'm sorry this is rambling a bit- but it has concerned me. I have thought about doing an up do challenge with myself, posting here about it, to keep me busy.

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I work from home. Most days I start with my hair down. Later when I need a break, I comb it out and put it into some sort of 'do for the day, a braid down the back if I haven't been to the fitness club yet, or a bun - something to get it out of the way and avoid shedding hairs all over my work station or the kitchen.

marajade
April 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I work from home. Most days I start with my hair down. Later when I need a break, I comb it out and put it into some sort of 'do for the day, a braid down the back if I haven't been to the fitness club yet, or a bun - something to get it out of the way and avoid shedding hairs all over my work station or the kitchen.

Do you miss being able to gussy up with your hair? I guess that is my problem. I feel guilty/sad if I am not able fix up my hair but it seems silly to do it if no one is able to see it (besides me of course). I hope that makes sense. :(

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I assume you still go out of your home for things - shopping, the bank, dinner - gussy up your hair then. On work-at-home days, you can practice things you'd like to wear outside of the home and nobody has to put up with the failed attempts but you.

As for me - no, I don't miss the pressure of "dressing up" for a job. It's great to sit here in my workout gear or even sometimes my pajamas and robe. There are days when I'm having a hard time sticking to my seat, doing my job, so I'll take a break and go "get ready for work" like I used to do before I started working at home. That helps a lot. If I'm all niced out in a dress and nylons, I'm not tempted to wander around outside pulling weeds. haha

kirky
April 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I don't work from home, but I can imagine that if I did, I'd miss doing my hair each morning. It is my favourite part of getting ready each day.

On the other hand, you have a great point in that it is probably better for your hair to miss a few days of styling!

Other than missing a daily hair style, are you enjoying working from home?

Samitra
April 8th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I don't work from home, but I only have classes a few hours a week, so I spend most of the time in front of the PC or at my desk, reading texts or doing other things for class.

Now that I've joined the "Wear my hair up for a month"-challenge I do put my hair up every day. Before that, most days I didn't do a thing. I just left it all tangled from sleeping, or in messy sleeping braids until I had to leave the apartment for grocery shopping or going to work.

If you miss the procedure of getting ready for work, making a nice updo and all that, you can do as spidermom suggested: try out new updos. Or join the "wear my hair up"-challenge...
But don't worry, I think you'll find out what to do after some time of working from home. You just need to find a new daily routine :)

marajade
April 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I don't work from home, but I can imagine that if I did, I'd miss doing my hair each morning. It is my favourite part of getting ready each day.

On the other hand, you have a great point in that it is probably better for your hair to miss a few days of styling!

Other than missing a daily hair style, are you enjoying working from home?

As Spidermom has mentioned- I love working from home because being in your pajamas and what not is so comfy! It makes working from home a lot less stressful. Plus, I get my chihuahua right with me at all times! :D

marajade
April 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I assume you still go out of your home for things - shopping, the bank, dinner - gussy up your hair then.

I find myself ready to go to dinner etc when my boyfriend gets home and I know he's tired sometimes and it drives him batty because he would rather stay at home- but he loves me and most of the time he's accommodating which is very sweet of him. I am a very "lonely" person I would say and I tend to get stuck in routines ( read: hermit-like), so I have to "remind" myself to get out of the house sometimes. :o
I try to have a get out of the house day, or weekend. :eyebrows:

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
One of the reasons I joined a fitness club was to get myself out of the house more. I was becoming such a hermit, a fat and completely out of shape hermit. I'd promise people I'd come to something (like an LHC meet), but then I couldn't make it out the front gate. Now that I get up and go pretty much every morning, it's a lot easier to face going out. (and it of course helps that I'm looking better in my clothes these days)

enfys
April 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'd love to work from home. I hope when I start procreating that it'sgoing to happen.

When I was in college I couldn't get myself into gear until I did my hair and sometimes even make-up. If I pulled an all nighter and was flagging by 10am, after 29 hours of study, I could revive myself by brushing my hair and putting it up. I think it's a psychological way to feel like it's a new day.

A great chance to do long conditioning treatments, henna (if you do it), or do days without washing.

I'm jealous now!

marajade
April 8th, 2009, 11:59 AM
One of the reasons I joined a fitness club was to get myself out of the house more. I was becoming such a hermit, a fat and completely out of shape hermit. I'd promise people I'd come to something (like an LHC meet), but then I couldn't make it out the front gate. Now that I get up and go pretty much every morning, it's a lot easier to face going out. (and it of course helps that I'm looking better in my clothes these days)

I am currently working out and trying to do a healthy lifestyle change and of course losing weight! I know what you mean. :) I really think its easier for me at least to work out when other things in my life are less stressful.

marajade
April 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'd love to work from home. I hope when I start procreating that it'sgoing to happen.

When I was in college I couldn't get myself into gear until I did my hair and sometimes even make-up. If I pulled an all nighter and was flagging by 10am, after 29 hours of study, I could revive myself by brushing my hair and putting it up. I think it's a psychological way to feel like it's a new day.

A great chance to do long conditioning treatments, henna (if you do it), or do days without washing.

I'm jealous now!

I find it easier to not wash yes, but then I love washing my hair so I end up washing it when I go out with my boyfriend. :)

Honey39
April 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
When I'm off work I like trying things out - especially SMTs, that kind of thing. When I was off work for a couple of weeks, I really *enjoyed* my hair, just tried stuff out, wore it in different ways, experimented a bit. When I'm at work I just do the same stuff - co-wash, comb out, oil, damp bun, let down hair at lunchtime. it's nice, but I want to play! :)

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I am currently working out and trying to do a healthy lifestyle change and of course losing weight! I know what you mean. :) I really think its easier for me at least to work out when other things in my life are less stressful.

It's easier for me to work out by deciding - every day, no excuses. Failure is not an option. (of course I've missed a few days, but I chew myself out or accept that a day off was the only option, as appropriate.)

One downside to working at home - refrigerator and kitchen cabinets are just too darn close.

Eden Iris
April 8th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I do my hair much the same as I would if I were going out to work everyday, although possibly I take more risks with new styles (as spidermom said, if you have a failure, nobody has to see it but you). Also, since I no longer have to buy work clothes, my budget for hair toys has gone way up.

My schedule's a bit different in that I do most of my long stretches of work late at night when the little people are asleep (hard to proofread with small children underfoot), but I do make an effort to shower, put up my hair, and wear something reasonably clean even on the days I don't go anywhere.

Elbereth
April 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I work from home!

I have made it a point to get properly dressed and do my bun first thing in the morning. I feel much more productive when I look productive. I certainly wear nice hairtoys at home! I get dressed for *me*, and secondly for DH who (I think so) prefers me looking neat and presentable when he comes home, instead of me wandering around in old old pajamas and wearing a slowly unraveling braid from last night.

I have never worked full time outside home, but essentially, I look the same whether I am at home or at my University office.

Fencai
April 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
on days that i do work from home, I usually fall out of bed, start working in my pjs, and then at lunch, i take my shower and bun my hair back up for the rest of the day.

marajade
April 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
on days that i do work from home, I usually fall out of bed, start working in my pjs, and then at lunch, i take my shower and bun my hair back up for the rest of the day.

Me too! :eyebrows: Lunchtime is a great time to clean house and myself! :D

GlennaGirl
April 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM
After four years of working from home, I am just now starting to "do my hair up" nicely each day, or as often as possible.

I have also started wearing earrings and makeup again.

It just makes me feel more professional, and the "I can be a slob" thing gets old. :P (Even for me!)

Islandgrrl
April 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I used to work from home and I do remember the temptation to sit in my jammies all day and work. I admit also to giving in to that temptation more than once or twice! :rolleyes:

As far as my hair was concerned, when I was working at home it was between classic and knee, and I always put it up for the day right after I got up. Almost always bunned, sometimes just a braid. But ALWAYS out of the way.

Suldrun
April 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM

I am so glad you wrote this. I work from home. I thought I was alone in feeling this way.

I have noticed that its harder and harder to leave the house even for something fun..I thought maybe I was becoming agoraphobic. I started taking once a week music lessons just so that I had some routine and had to leave the house..they do pay as you go but I payed 2 months in advance just to motivate myself.

I have been getting pretty lazy with my hair. I started a 30 day new style journal a long time ago.......well there is only one picture in it lol. For a while I was leaving it in sleep braid all day but then I began to get knots and matting so now I am sure to comb it out ( either in morning or lunchtime) and then rebraid or bun it.

I did have a routine where I got up and walked every morning and then came home did hair and I committed to using a little makeup and dressing presentable...I definitly noticed I felt better when I did that but then I began to talk myself out of it..like why go through all this for no reason etc.....I am so glad I am not the only one dealing with this. It can be very unmotivating when your alone so much.

ratgirldjh
April 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
i guess i technically work at home. our house is upstairs and our office downstairs. all i have to do is come downstairs.

what this means to me is that i have a lot more time to mess with my hair and dream up experiments, etc. and read about new things to do to my hair. often i will close the office and go and do something to my hair or change my clothes. personally, i don't care if people see me with a bag on my head when i'm doing a treatment or not - but i usually do try to look presentable in case people come in the office :) which means that i wash my face and get dressed and take may hair down from my sleep bun so i have waves...

i also noticed that i don't want to leave home as much. so i've been forcing myself to go shopping (instead of buying on-line) and also go to visit my friend who lives nearby. also i frequently go out for walks with my doggy and my rattie. if i don't feel like walking i will take my van and drive around our property and maybe stop and go in the woods for a bit.

EdG
April 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I work from home on occasion.

Working from home is great because I can wash my hair in the morning and let it slowly dry while I'm working. I can work on the computer, send emails, and participate in teleconferences all without my co-workers knowing that my hair is a mess (*)! :cheese:
Ed

Unless they happen to read this post. :o

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I work from home on occasion.

Working from home is great because I can wash my hair in the morning and let it slowly dry while I'm working. I can work on the computer, send emails, and participate in teleconferences all without my co-workers knowing that my hair is a mess (*)! :cheese:
Ed

Unless they happen to read this post. :o

Your secret is out!

EdG
April 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Your secret is out!Hee, hee! :D

My co-workers have caught me browsing LHC at the office. I think they were not surprised. :hmm:
Ed

Chromis
April 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
When I am at home I put my hair up same as if I were in the office. I also still dress up, though I might not wear a blazer and might choose louder tights if I'm wearing a skirt.

Kimberly
April 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I get out of bed, feed the cat, start the coffee, and go to my desk and start working in my jammies and sleeping braid. Around mid to late morning I take a LHC break. My cat gets on my lap and I comb out my hair while scrolling through posts. Then I put my hair up and put on my Self-employment Uniform, which consists of baggy flannel pants and a t-shirt in summer, or the same with added layering of long underwear bottoms, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and a sweater or bathrobe. It's presentable enough for the run to the mailbox, and I can take off the bathrobe fast if I have an unexpected videoconference. Though recently I forgot and took a video call before I realized my hair was still drying from a wash. Client didn't comment, though!

I like my daily morning hair break -- a nice chance to relax, try new styles, and use my favorite hairtoys.

Themyst
April 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I also work from home and I usually have my hair up in a sloppy wrap around bun. I don't want to damage it by sitting on it/rubbing up against it while in my office chair. I actually think working at home is to my hair's advantage - after all, it misses all the combing/brushing/extra washing/styling/hairspray that I would be doing to it if I had to go out the door every day. But, admittedly, there are times that a knock at the door comes and I practically freak out after looking in the mirror.:doh:

aries
April 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I wish I worked from home but don't know what to do for work. I have been a stay at home mom for 5 years now and all I do is clean and take care of animals. Even though I don't work, I do still get dressed and try to make my hair as decent as possible. Usually I wear a bun with a fork or a ficcare. Every so often I will do a side braid with damp ends and add a little oil to the ends. While I sit and go through LHC periodically I will do a deep conditioning treatment.

Stevy
April 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I get up, and immediately put my hair in a gibraltar bun on top of my head to exercise. Then I sit down at the PC and get to work. Sometimes if I'm run off my feet my hair stays in the bun on top of my head for the first couple of hours, but I usually take it down and put it up in a less comical way when I take a break for a cup of coffee. Maybe I'm scared of frightening the postman. ;)