PDA

View Full Version : What's your fav leave-in?

sweetlidlred
April 3rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I have read many people use a leave in conditioner, oil, etc. in their hair after they clean their hair. What is your favorite leave in and how do you use it?

Tapioca
April 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I've been using kimberlily's defrizz spray for months.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

Lately, I've been adding some cone-laden stuff like Infusium or Johnson & Johnson's No More Tangles, but my hair loves silicones.

zift
April 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I use L'oreal Elseve(el vive) antibreakage leave-in. It's full of cones:cool:

prosperina
April 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Jojoba oil. I put it in my hair when wet then let hair dry. Although lately this has been too heavy.

Sometimes I mist with a mix of distilled water, aloe vera gel, jojoba oil and a tiny drop of sweet orange EO for smell.

tiny_teesha
April 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
coconut oil. It really detangles and leaves hair soft and smooth. It's a miracle item!

Feisty Redhead
April 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Goth Rosary conditioner. I put about a quarter sized drop in my hand then rub my hands together and run my hands and fingers over/through my hair. I generally then put a little more in my hands and concentrate on apply it to the ends of my hair only. I love it because it's light but very moisturizing plus the smell lingers all day. I also mix some with water in my mister bottle. :D

Shanarana
April 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
I've been using coconut oil since I got some on-line.....so far so good. I used other commercial leave ins, but am trying to go more natural and see how it goes.

Curlsgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I like BWC leave-in, Giovanni 50/50, more recently Kinky Curly Knot Today

For oils, coconut, avocado or olive

Curl formation and/or hold, AG Re:coil, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets and Confident Coils

(not all at once! LOL!)

Cone free always

Rzilynt
April 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Rusk Sensories Smoother
Stars Lacio Lacio
Giovanni Direct

RZ~

sahiba
April 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
My fav. is Himalayas Revitalising hair oil (in India). Really light and good to smell.

happylynngilmer
April 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
hands down, shea butter.

But also in top five: Manor Hall deep conditioner, coconut oil, jojoba oil, GR conditioner.

Sorus
April 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I've got a little collection of favorites:

- Coconut oil. Great on damp or dry hair, adds instant shine, and helps keep my hair in a bun or braid.

- Mister bottle with olive oil, meadowfoam oil, Goth Rosary conditioner, Desert Essence conditioner, glycerin, eo. Sometimes I add a few drops of BPAL if I'm trying to cover up henna smell. Also used on wet or dry hair. Plus, using these expensive conditioners in a mister makes them last longer.

- Kiss my Face Miss-treated conditioner. The last thing I do before I get out of the shower is apply the conditioner all over but mostly on the ends. Then I rinse for a few seconds at most so most of the conditioner stays in my hair but it gets distributed really well. I wear my hair up almost all of the time, and after a day of damp bunning it's really soft and smells divine. :cloud9:

Patrycja
April 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM
oh wow.Its hard to say because I use many different variations.Usually all of my concoctions consist of coconut oil and aloe.There are many many days when I use just these two,maybe a EO of somekind to add scent.

I do use my mister alot as well,but that's on my updo days and its humid outside.Helps keeps the frizzies at bay. ;)

Anje
April 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
The current concoction is a mist of water and conditioner, and/or coconut oil. It feels better with something left on it, but I vary what I'm putting on with my moods.

Kirin
April 4th, 2008, 01:37 PM
AtOne with Nature leave in. Pea sized amount rubbed between palms then rubbed into hair. Love it.

FB
April 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I use jojoba oil, infusium leave-in mist and or Redken smooth stuff. But I just ordered some coconut oil and can not wait to try that.

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Dabur Vatika coconut oil or sometimes virgin coconut oil.
At one point jojoba oil mixed with aloe gel was my favourite too.

Sunderella
April 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I have been using Jessicurl Too Shea as a leave in, very moisturizing!

Stephanie
April 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
If it's not Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom, it's virgin coconut oil with a touch of rose oil.

Leisha
April 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I usually put Aloe Vera on my hair (slightly wet hair after washing, or if it's (almost) completely dry, I put even more aloe on it so it gets a bit "wet" again :)) and then coconut oil. I have only refined coconut oil (two kinds actually, one that's liquid that I use most often, and one that solidifies at room temp), will probably buy virgin coconut oil at some point ;)

Sometimes instead of the coconut coconut oil I use a hair butter (shea butter, coconut oil (I use the solid kind for this recipe) and some jojoba oil mixed together).

I tend to always put aloe vera on my hair first. I tried jojoba oil on its own but it wasn't great.

Most leave-ins I see in stores have cones and I avoid them, so I stopped looking for a store-bought leave in, because the aloe/oil combination works very well for me.

zule
April 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
For a while, I used a commercial product, Back to Basics Sunflower leave-in pump spray conditioner. It prevented tangling on my ends very well. But it was discontinued, and I joined here, so there were lots of new things to try.

I've had good luck with aloe vera and some with jojoba oil. However, a swap partner sent me some coconut oil to try and it's the best thing I've ever used! My hair just has a fondness for it that it didn't have for anything else.

But I think I'm going to try aloe and coconut oil together for a while--just to see what it does.

You'll probably also have good luck using a bit of your conditioner put back onto your ends. I did that and occasionally still do. If you like your conditioner, why not?? :D

Cinnamon Hair
April 4th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I don't use actual leave-ins often, but when I do I like the Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave-in. Otherwise I might use a dab of honey or more of the conditioner I used to wash.

JKRBeloved
April 4th, 2008, 10:39 PM
For my last rinse I use a pitcher full of warm water with a couple tablespoons of white vinegar (I used to use apple cider vinegar before I stopped coloring my hair brown, but now that it's silver I've read that the cider vinegar could yellow it), a few drops of glycerin (just recently started that... LOVE it!), and a couple drops of orange oil (the aroma is heavenly). Then, while it's still damp, I use a little aloe and coconut oil on my hands as I scrunch.

Darian Moone
April 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I like my own concoction of distilled water, a dab of Trader Joe's Refresh condish, a dab of olive oil, a smidge of vegetable glycerine, a bit of aloe vera, and my favorite EOs at the time (usually a touch of lavender with patchouli and tangerine). Don't you love my exacting measurements? LOL! I put them all in my mister and spray it on my hair after shampooing.

If I'm feeling lazy (meaning I've run out of the above and don't feel like mixing up a batch), I use Aussie's leave in.

A couple times a month I'll oil with coconut oil or emu oil, but more as an overnight conditioning than during the day.

I do like Sebastian's Potion No. 9 if I'm going to roll my hair in any fashion (sponge, sock or rag curls) or if I want to try to get good braid or bun waves overnight. My hair is naturally stick straight and needs help getting any kind of shape.

girlcat36
April 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Aloe gel/glycerin/oil mixture, or Goth Rosary conditioner. My hair hates stuff with a long list of ingredients and these two things are pared down and basic.

Nadezhda
April 4th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I generally use coconut oil as my leave in, as I find it's lighter in my hair and easier to measure and distribute then other oils to leave in and wear around. If I'm putting in oils so sleep in or wear around the house and wash out before leaving, anything goes.

Elenna
April 5th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, shea butter, sweet almond oil and camellia oil all mixed up and applied to hair. Any of these would probably work individually, but together these make a very nice leave-in.

ETA that this is my variation of Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream.

chrissy-b
April 5th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In every time I wet my hair. I love it!

Rosepatrice
April 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I like plain 'ole coconut oil.

jesamyn
April 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I like Nature's Gate Original Herbal Conditioner as a leave-in. It's not designed for that, but I find it's just right because it's so light. I also LOVE the smell.

Guenever
April 5th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Ehh.. does "nothing" count as a favorite leave-in? :tongue:

Amnell
April 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I use Giovanni´s Direct Leave-In and I love it
The Fox Shea Conditioner Creme works good, too

Melisande
April 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Dabur Vatika immediately after washing, or my version of Fox' sheabutter mixture (I love sheabutter, it works well on its own, too). It depends on my idea of what my hair need the same day.

My rose water, AVG, jojoba oil mixture shortly before it's totally dry, especially on the dry spots around my temples where the hair breaks.

shellblue1
April 7th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Paul Brown Hawaii Treat Elite. Smells soooo good and helps strengthen the hair with keratin. I just spray it on damp hair after a shower and comb through.

Also, Charles Worthington Results Moisture Seal leave-in, but the old discontinued version in the thin yellow tube. They revamped it and I tried the newer version. It wasn't the same! :( So therefore I have purchased many of the old version off of ebay. It makes my hair silky, shiny, and moisturized.

MelLuna
April 8th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Fox Shea conditioner cream seem to be good for my hair.

mommy2one05
April 8th, 2008, 05:36 AM
after joining these boards and seeing that alot of people use mistys I decided to try some. I have learned quickly that my hair does not like oils...leaves it very greassy feeling. Now last week I tried vo5 co, water, and aloe vera gel, but my hair seemed like it felt somewhat dry and course later in the day, almost felt like there was build up( how hair feels after alot of hairspray)...would this maybe be from the aloe vera? I was hoping it would get rid of frizzys and flyaways.

Curlsgirl
April 8th, 2008, 06:09 AM
after joining these boards and seeing that alot of people use mistys I decided to try some. I have learned quickly that my hair does not like oils...leaves it very greassy feeling. Now last week I tried vo5 co, water, and aloe vera gel, but my hair seemed like it felt somewhat dry and course later in the day, almost felt like there was build up( how hair feels after alot of hairspray)...would this maybe be from the aloe vera? I was hoping it would get rid of frizzys and flyaways.Just wanted to respond to this because aloe vera gel does this to my hair if I leave it in. Most people seem to have such great success with it but no matter what I do if I add AVG I get bad results. The only thing I use it in is an SMT. Try leaving it out and just using the conditioner and distilled water.

Oh and if you are getting greasies from oils you might be using too much. Some people only need a drop or two, some need more.

harley mama
April 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I just use some type of oil. Sometimes it is coconut, sometimes I use oil that I mix. It is usually jojoba based with other EO's mixed in for scent and good hair health.

mommy101405
April 8th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I am going to start trying some of the more natural products that others have recommended. Although I have Redken Extreme Reel Fuel and I do love how my hair feels after I use it.

JUSTAGIRL
April 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I use infusium leave-in and wash every other day. Often a little Aussie leave-in cream on ends after misting with leave-in. If I use curly products and go for wave, it is ouidad leave-in, but mostly reserve that for summer when I let it dry naturally.

chelles2kids
April 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Camelia oil, applied to my ends, while still wet.
I put about 10 drops between my hands, rub together and smooth through the last 4 or so inches of hair, I do this twice to make sure that it's nice and oiled.
Then I comb it through and leave it to air dry.
It always dries so soft.

Michelle

whitesnake
June 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Phyto 9 and unrefined shea butter

silverwoods
June 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Sometimes I like to leave in pure aloe vera gel, especially on days I want more volume and shininess.

Cantabile
June 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Just a dab of coconut oil is usually enough. It's the only leave-in I use. :smile:

hurricane_gia
June 5th, 2008, 09:59 PM
hands down, shea butter.

Woot! This is also my favorite.

The runners up are: Coconut Oil, and some of my CO conditioner diluted approximately twenty times and spritzed onto my hair. I have not ever tried Camelia Oil, but it sounds like it might be a contender.

Stagecoach
June 6th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Coconut oil is my favorite leave in. I ususally apply it to damp hair and bun.

I'm also very fond of shea butter.

kimberlily
June 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I make a concoction I call "hair butter". There's a thread in the recipes section, but I'm too lazy to look it up ;)

dandelion_seeds
June 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Giovanni Vitapro Fusion

Light & Greaseless (important for my ultra-fine, thin hair)

yldchyld
June 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Coconut oil is my favorite leave in. I ususally apply it to damp hair and bun.

I'm also very fond of shea butter.

me too. Or I leave in Burt's Bees Avocado Conditioner, in a damp braid.

Teacherbear
June 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I've been using Giovanni Direct Leave In after washing my hair for aout 6 years now. I love that stuff.

Katja
June 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I have fine, straight hair, so I have to be careful about using oil -- there seems to be a very fine line between using enough to smooth my fly-aways, and using too much, which leaves my hair looking greasy and piece-y.

Giovanni Direct Leave In mixed with a few drops of camellia oil is working well for me.

Miyani
November 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM
my favorite is coconut oil, milk and olive oil. I love the smell of the coconut milk, smells really good to me :) I also use Brazilian Nut Body Butter mixed with coconut oil. I use that at night so it can soak up and not be too heavy in the morning lol.

CopperHead
November 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I love Carol's Daughter products and use several of them. My hair loves them. :)

plainjanegirl
November 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I have yet to find one my hair likes. I save oil for a pre wash treatment (cause my hair gets greasy fast). I bought a cheap bottle of suave ( or maybe it was vo5) for a honey and conditioner treatment. So maybe I will try using some conditioner as a leave in. I also wanna try the sunsilk or herbal essences leave in conditioner (since those are the only 2 leave in creams I can find around here). The other leave ins I found at a local retail store were pantene or aussie , but they are both a spray and to me if I was gonna use a spray why not use my regular conditioner and water.

Vitalai
November 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
My absolute favorite is AVG. It keeps my hair nice and soft and tames down the flyaways. Sometimes I mix in some V05 conditioner.

rhodochrosite
November 6th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I've been trying BWC's leave-in. So far, it's done a wonderful job of detangling!

jessie58
November 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I'm in love with NightBlooming's Triple Moon Hair Annointing Oil (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16886644). I put it on wet hair and work it through after a wash or water only rinse. After applying the oil, I then put on NightBlooming's Panacea Hair Salve (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16886642). I work in in from the ears down. These two together make my hair so smooth, almost completely frizz free and really nice looking when it dries.

Katze
November 7th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Goth Rosary, hands-down. It makes my fine hair smoother, brings out my waves, makes my damaged ends softer, and doesn't weigh my hair down. Just a small dollop on my length only after washing, sometimes on wet hair, sometimes on dry.

I also sometimes mix GR with aloe or with hair gel, but I have to be very careful not to put any conditioner on my hair from the ears up or it gets greasy and my scalp gets oily.

I also prefer GR as a leave-in to using it as a wash-out conditioner.

MandaMom2Three
November 7th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I used to use Infusium, but it made my hair crunchy. What I do now is mix together 2 cups distilled water, 1/3 cup cone free conditioner, 1 tsp jojoba oil and a few drops of EO, whatever I feel like (I used orange last time, I think I'll use patchouli next). After washing I shake it up and spritz on and comb through. That' it. My hair love it!

Dolly
November 7th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Aussie Hair Insurance for me.....yummy smell, nice and lightweight, and just enough cones to bring out my shine.....

curls2grow
November 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I've been using Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC), or John Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler for a while. I love them.

Going to start experimenting soon with Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, or Phyto 7.

almudena
November 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I'm in love with NightBlooming's Triple Moon Hair Annointing Oil (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16886644). I put it on wet hair and work it through after a wash or water only rinse. After applying the oil, I then put on NightBlooming's Panacea Hair Salve (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16886642). I work in in from the ears down. These two together make my hair so smooth, almost completely frizz free and really nice looking when it dries.

Exactly the same here. The above mentioned are my #1 hair care products :inlove:

backtolonghair
November 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I've been using Alba organics unscented leave in. It's great stuff! I just have to be careful how much I use, or else it gets too greasy. :)

chelles2kids
November 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM

You are such an enabler! After reading your post earlier today, I went over to Etsy & ordered some of her Panacea Hair Salve- Leave in Conditioner and Deep Treatment.
I didn't even realize that she was making oils/butters now!

I can't wait to try it!:applause

jessie58
November 7th, 2008, 12:38 PM
You are such an enabler! After reading your post earlier today, I went over to Etsy & ordered some of her Panacea Hair Salve- Leave in Conditioner and Deep Treatment.
I didn't even realize that she was making oils/butters now!

I can't wait to try it!:applause

Michelle, you will love this stuff. It just disappears into your hair. It's not sticky or heavy, yet it really tames the hair. I comb it right through. I pile it on, on the days when my hair is unmanageable. I haven't used it for a couple of days because I have been waiting to color my roots and didn't want any product in my hair. My hair looks like hell at the moment. I can't wait to get the color on so I can get back to my routine with this stuff.

Carolyn
November 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Terax Life Drops and Terax Hydrate Botanica. I've been using these for the past month and have fallen in love with them. I have never been fond of leave-ins but these are so different.

CopperHead
November 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I've been using Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC), or John Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler for a while. I love them.

Going to start experimenting soon with Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, or Phyto 7.

The Hair Milk is wonderful. It has a Lily of the Valley scent, but is very soft. I use it quite often without my hair getting greasy at all. I have a ton of Carol's Daughter products and love them all.

jessie58
November 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
The Hair Milk is wonderful. It has a Lily of the Valley scent, but is very soft. I use it quite often without my hair getting greasy at all. I have a ton of Carol's Daughter products and love them all.

I hate most scents but in nature I really love the Lily of the Valley. Does this smell like the real thing? I would love any product with that scent.

Rain
November 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
BWC leave-in is my favorite. It has a light herbal scent I'm not wild about but it fades and I get the best results with this one.

UrbanEast
November 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I like the Moroccan Oil Hydrating Cream. It does contain a lot of cones though.

venividibxtchy
November 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I hate most scents but in nature I really love the Lily of the Valley. Does this smell like the real thing? I would love any product with that scent.

Beware, it made my, and my Mother's hair greasy, even with a tiny dallop.

It smelled more like lemongrass to me.

HotRag
November 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Chamelia oil

chickpea
November 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM
A small amount of Earthly Delight conditioner combed thru wet hair. Sometimes I'll mix a few drops of avocado or camellia oil with it.

jessie58
November 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Beware, it made my, and my Mother's hair greasy, even with a tiny dallop.

It smelled more like lemongrass to me.
Good to know, thank you.

wendyg
November 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Another with very fine hair with the same balancing problem. Two things: coconut oil (in very tiny quantitities); Phyto 9 (in less tiny quantities). The latter is expensive, but it works extremely well for me and you use such small quantities that a tube lasts 6-9 months.

wg

Fillette
November 9th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I put a little bit of my suave conditioner on my damp hair as leave-in (the coconut one) and then add a dime size of coconut oil to the ends.

Drynwhyl
November 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I use Avon Dry end serum after washing, it makes it very soft and hard to tangle, and it's not greasy at all. And smells wonderful :)