PDA

View Full Version : My Six Month Anniversary @ LCH (Or: Time for a Progress Pic!)

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Soooo..... :D
Today I'm six month old LHCer! I'm almost at 1000 posts (wanted to combine the two, but got too busy to write that much posts, so I'll be a hair guru in 100 posts lol). I'm also a better hair owner, my hair is quite a few inches longer, and I've learned so much I can't begin to explain how LHC change my ways of taking care of my hair.
As a kid I used to have long (probably tailbone length) hair. But then in 6th grade I wanted a carre with bangs. I didn't realize that my hair was only straight at the canopy due to the weight of the length, and after that crazy hack-off from tb to shoulder length my hair puffed up and became awesomely ugly and unbearable. It was about 10 years ago.
I grew it from shoulders to mid back for all this time. I blame the hairstylists, they ignored my request to trim "just the ends, because i try to grow it out". I stopped attending the hair salon a month or two before joining LHC, and I never came back. This is my personal secret to long hair hehe. I bought me hair scissors and I trim and s&d my own hair. I don't trust scissors into the hand of anybody but myself (and even myself I don't really trust, but at least I can't hold grudge against myself :]).
Second best thing I've done for my hair is to throw away that SLS shampoo, and never use one again. I was shedding like crazy, I even did those 3 month hair loss treatments (I did suffer from a acute hair loss due to poor nutrition, lost third of my hair, became too-shedding-conscious after that http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif). Finally, with the help of LHC I realized I don't even need shampoo much, trashed it and my shedding decreased so much!
So these are the two major things that helped me towards growing my hair long, which I really wanted to share. The rest is laid nicely on the boards. LHC is such a wealth of information, it's literally a rare pearl in the never ending seas of the world wide web.
So before we go to the part that everybody opened this post for, I'd like to thank those who brought this community to live, those who maintain it and of course those who participate in it, sharing their priceless knowledge and personal experiences. Thank you. Without you I would never even know that long hair is possible!
Okeis. Pics. I don't have an obvious progress to show, because: a) It's just 6 month we are talking about, and I have almost no pictures from before LHC b) I'm a curly head, and curlies have twice as much to grow to really make it show! hehe.
Here's my hair in 2006:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2075&pictureid=27742
It was about the time when I discovered that my hair air dries into this totally awesome cork screw curls if kept in a rope braid. It looks in a decent condition, I've been hennaing it with cheap weak henna, the bright ends are dye damage I was growing out. Notice the dry frizz halo near the curls, that was pre-LHC. Looks so much better on the 2008 side!
Fast forward to my end of 2008 LHC period (when I was obsessively taking pics :p):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2075&pictureid=36162http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2075&pictureid=36161
The bright green line is my waist length. The darker one is hip length. I'm almost inch past it now when I stretch my longest layer, when I just joined I was barely waist length stretched. My shorter layers were about APL, now the fluctuate between midback and waist. :D
BTW, all the different textures are all natural! I just air dried my hair differently, so it came out that different. Dec is braid waves, Jan is ropebraid tight curls, feb as well but not as tight heh. Today is was chinese bun which makes my hair stretcher and softer, and the coconut oil with the shea butter helped too. ;)
Here my first ever LHC pic (it was sort of a hairstyping pic):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1927&pictureid=23199
And here it is today:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1927&pictureid=36164
I have to say that hosting pics on LHC kinda slaughters the quality, but there is nothing I can do. You'd have to believe me that the original is looks even prettier and shiner and softer.
I've came a long way haha! (And I also exceeded the picture limit for this post).
So...
I came here and measured about 32". I'm 35.5" now, it's not stunning growth rate, just a wee bit above the average, but it's the longest my hair have been in years, since I was a kid. That's amazing to me, to feel my hair again brushing against my lower back. Thank you guys again!
And grow long, long, beautiful hair!
Cheers,
Heidi.

RavennaNight
April 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Very pretty! I love the corkscrews! How interesting that your hair does that! Lovely color too!

KnightsLady
April 8th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Your hair is looking beautiful Heidi!
:D

LutraLutra
April 8th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Lovely hair, the curls and the colour are so pretty.

Fencai
April 8th, 2009, 06:44 AM
wow! That's awesome! Congrats and happy anniversary! I love the curls! Im gonna have to try that next week while im home!

janeytilllie
April 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Your hair is very beautiful and lovely :D your curls are amazing! :thud:

Johanna64
April 8th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Congratulations Heidi!!
Your curls are adorable,I love them :inlove:
I love the color and the shine of your hair too!!

mahoganyhorizon
April 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Where are the pics? Did I miss them. I love progress pics!!

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Thank you so so much guys, always great to receive compliments on my curls and color :D
mahoganyhorizon, you should be seeing the pictures soon enough. I love progress pics too heh, I really like seeing hair grow, and it looks so easy on pictures lol.

amaiaisabella
April 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Wow, so beautiful, Heidi! Congratulations! :)

JamieLeigh
April 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
You can definitely see progress - look at how your hand moves down your body in the progression pics! Congratulations on your 6-month anniversary (mine is in 9 days, lol - you BARELY beat me here :p), and keep growing those beautiful curls!! :flower:

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
lol Jamie thanks, I still have alot of catching up to do length-wise though to beat you :p

viking_quest
April 8th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Your curls are so pretty. Congratulations on the 6 month anniversary and almost 1000 posts.

Rohele
April 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Wow - you have absolutely beautiful hair. :)

You've made some good progress since you've come here!

magpielaura
April 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Gorgeous curls! The colour and shine are great too! It is amazing what even a few months of better care can achive - I've certainly noticed a difference in my hair in that time.

lora410
April 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I have always loved your curls since you came here. They are the curls I would want if my hair was curly. Amazingly, my dd has the same curls..LOL

camirra555
April 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Wow, I love the colour and the way it curls at the bottom. Nice work!

hennaphile
April 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
So pretty!!! I bet people would pay lots to have their hair do what yours does naturally!

Gutterfayrie
April 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
wow! I love your curls and your color!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Six Month Anniversary!!!!!!!!

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks you all :flowers:

So pretty!!! I bet people would pay lots to have their hair do what yours does naturally!
Yeah, and then they will happily go to their straight not-frizzy-fuzzy hair after the curls are totally destroyed and gone. :p

Petra
April 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Wow! :bigeyes:

Seriously, your corkscrews have got to be one of the coolest textures I've ever seen.

minkstole
April 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Fantastic curls! Your progress is great, both length and colour wise.

Canarygirl
April 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
echoing what everybody else is saying, Heidi. Your hair is totally gorgeous...love it! :)

Heidi_234
April 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks again :flowers: (my god I love anniversary threads :p).
Petra7, I thought the same exact thing when I accidentally have them for the first time hehe.

Elphie
April 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Super progress! I can certainly see a change in length and I really do find that you have an almost unique hair texture; your hair stands out in a crowd!

Happy 6 months!

Xandergrammy
April 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Your hair looks amazing. I love it!!!

Heidi_234
April 9th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Super progress! I can certainly see a change in length and I really do find that you have an almost unique hair texture; your hair stands out in a crowd!

Happy 6 months!
I have yet to find another person with hair that does the things mine does, or else that person is yet find his/hers hair does the things mine does. :D Other than that, my hair shyly hides in a bun or turns into a frizzy mess in public, just like me. :o

karli
April 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM
You really have dreamy hair!

lapushka
April 9th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Those are some amazing curls.
Your hair looks absolutely lovely! :D

mellie
April 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM
So beautiful Heidi!!! Love your color and curls and length!!

paper
April 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Your curls are so pretty! Congrats! :flowers:

KajiKodomo
April 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Gorgeous! :D Congrats!

JamieLeigh
April 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
lol Jamie thanks, I still have alot of catching up to do length-wise though to beat you :p

Thank goodness it's not a race! (I'd already be losing to the others!) ;) If your hair is this lovely now, I can only imagine what a goddess you will be at classic!! :D

Heidi_234
April 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Thank you guys again, I have never received so much compliments neither on my curls nor on my color nor on my length. :bounce:

Thank goodness it's not a race! (I'd already be losing to the others!) ;) If your hair is this lovely now, I can only imagine what a goddess you will be at classic!! :D
Thank you so much :flower: Can't wait to be that goddess :D:D

s_tresses
April 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Seriously, whenever I saw your posts I thought you already were a hair guru and I thought you had been here for a long long time because you always know what you are talking about. But of course, today I discovered you have only been here 6 months!

Your growth rate is amazing and your texture is so unique. I want to ask you, is the upper portion of your hair straighter naturally? That looks REALLY pretty. Congrats and I wish you healthier and longer hair. :)

Heidi_234
April 10th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Seriously, whenever I saw your posts I thought you already were a hair guru and I thought you had been here for a long long time because you always know what you are talking about. But of course, today I discovered you have only been here 6 months!

Your growth rate is amazing and your texture is so unique. I want to ask you, is the upper portion of your hair straighter naturally? That looks REALLY pretty. Congrats and I wish you healthier and longer hair. :)
Wow thank you. :flowers: I guess I'm just a fast learner, and I was eager to accept and try so many things suggested here, I had nothing left but to share to knowledge and the experience. :) I can't believe I didn't knew any of this just half a year ago.
About my hair - My hair tends to take the shape it is air dried to (for the most part at least :p). Usually I just make sure that I air dry it in a braid/bun/banana clip or any other way that keeps it close to the head and lying straight. If I leave it to be, the upper portion is more wavy/frizzy, but not curly, probably because my hair weights itself down and lies down on head while drying. So it is sort of straighter, but I suppose it will start to curl as soon as I let it. :)

SimplyLonghair
April 10th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Really awesome progress and curls :thumbsup: :rockerdud

Very cheese worthy!:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Rebelkat
April 10th, 2009, 01:24 AM
You have truly gorgeous hair, and it's made such amazing improvement! You can definitely tell a difference!

FallenAngel
April 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Very pretty hair! Love the colour and the curls!

Misha
April 10th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Wow, such awesome corkscrew curls! Your before pictures are beautiful too. Lucky you to have such lovely hair.:cheer: