PDA

View Full Version : Thickener??

nappywomyn
April 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I've got a couple of recipes that I use - the caramel treatment, the coconut milk/lime mix, as well as the yogurt goo, that I love - except for the drippies.
Drippies drive me INSANE. I've surmounted them when it comes to henna by making a uber thick paste, and adding loads of conditioner - but I don't want to do that with my other mixes.

I've tried cornstarch, and I think maybe I just didn't add enough - and it's a bit of a pain to mix, and I'm worried about leaving a white 'dust' on my hair.

I've heard xantham gum suggested, as well as agar, as well as pectin - but I think that they all need to be heated to work, and I don't usually heat the treatments.

Does ANYONE have any good ideas of a simple, cheap, thickener (even if it's a chemical agent of some sort) that I can use in multiple things?

TIA! :cheese:

jesamyn
April 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Have you considered Thick-it (http://www.thickitretail.com/)? It's a modified cornstarch product meant to dissolve without the boiling that you have to do with regular cornstarch. I know people that have tried it for henna have been pleased with it. Since it's made to dissolve in pretty much any liquidy product (marketed for people with swallowing disorders), I would think that it would work well for you.

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
I don't know if this is any use to you....but i find methi seed powder when i mix it up just keeps getting thicker and thicker.....would it be an idea to try that mixed in? I don't know what it's like cold, but maybe you could mix it up an hour or so in advance then add it to your mix?

nappywomyn
April 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thank you!! I haven't tried either of those - The thickIt looks FABULOUS!! Do you know where I could get the methi seed at?

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
If i were you i'd buy the powdered Methi (Fenugreek) seed.....i think grinding whole seeds would be beyond tireing! You can get bags of it in Indian grocers....or online Indian food sellers....i only know a Uk one for that but i'll give you a link to it so that you know what you are looking for....
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Top-Op-Ground-Fenugreek.html
I got mine cheaper than that....i paid £1.49 for 400g in an Indian grocers and a little goes a LONG way....if i put 2 twaspoons of it in a bowl and add water it swells up so much that there's far more than i can fir on my hair.....admittedly i add a bit of cayenne, amla and brahmi....but even so.
You might like the properties this adds.....it's a very good conditioner and is used to stimulate growth too ;)

kimki
April 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hijack a bit but ChloeDharma do you use Fenugreek for conditioning? Or is it for thickening? What do you use it with?

Thank you :)

End hijack. :D

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Sorry to hijack a bit but ChloeDharma do you use Fenugreek for conditioning? Or is it for thickening? What do you use it with?

Thank you :)

End hijack. :D

Here's a link to a thread i started about it....as an aside i've been rubbish at keeping this up lol
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1299
Also, i think my blog is open to anyone to read....but i talk a bit about it thyere....HTH :)

nappywomyn
April 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Oooh, I didn't know methi & fenugreek were the same thing - fabulous! I've heard good things about fenugreek, tsk, why didn't I think of that?
That might be better than the Thick-It actually - get some hair benefits at the same time.

Thanks for the thread, ChloeDharma... *off to read*

kimki
April 4th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Here's a link to a thread i started about it....as an aside i've been rubbish at keeping this up lol
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1299
Also, i think my blog is open to anyone to read....but i talk a bit about it thyere....HTH :)

Thank you, I'll go and have a read now. :)

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Glad to be of help :)

Áine
April 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Along with fenugreek, how about ground corriander powder? This is something you can also find by the bagful at Indian food shops.

nappywomyn
April 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Have you considered Thick-it (http://www.thickitretail.com/)? It's a modified cornstarch product meant to dissolve without the boiling that you have to do with regular cornstarch. I know people that have tried it for henna have been pleased with it. Since it's made to dissolve in pretty much any liquidy product (marketed for people with swallowing disorders), I would think that it would work well for you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

The ThickIt is the winner!! I requested a few samples from them, and tried it this past weekend with my protien treatment (yogurt, coconut milk, molasses), and it was FABULOUS. 3 tbsp in about 8-10 ounces of liquid turned it into something - uber thick. Almost henna thick, really. It's fabulous, and it's relatively cheap (8 oz for 9 bucks), and it rinses out easily.

So, thank you again for suggesting that!!

I still want to try the fenugreek, more for it's 'slippiness' than to thicken, though.

cutenappygrl
April 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I use generic aloe vera gel, like fruit of the earth or CVS brand.