PDA

View Full Version : Transition From Brushing?

Natalia
April 8th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Hello! I thought about putting this in accesories but i though i might get more relevant answers here but feel free to move if needed :).

Anyway after surfing the board ive noticed some people are trying to "wean" off brushing. I have sort of unintentionally done the same. After my shedding experiance in the shower i decided i need to be extra careful with the hair i have left. Hence the no brushing, it just seems to casue more breakage and fall out at least that ive noticed anyway.

I though if there as many of us as there seems we could support eachother. I think the hardest part for me is the inconvenience. Having to work through my hair so very carefully with my itty bitty comb. Its nice no seams that i can see (just found it lying around, no idea where it came from *shrugs*) but it is one of those two sided deals.

The wide tooth side is awesome once the larger tangles are gone it just glides but the teeth on the other side are superfine and broken in many places :(. I just find it anoying to have about 2 maybe 2 1/2 inches of workable space. Im used to being able to (albeit damagingly) whip through brushing in a minute or two where as combing takes 5 - 10 minutes. I am thinking of getting that comb everyone talk about at the body shop. It looks like it has nice spacing and all maybe a bigger comb would help?

Anywho...

What do you find the hardest about combing or trasitioning?

What benefits are you hopeing to get or are noticing?

Do you have a favorite material or tooth spacing?

Just thought it would give us something to chit chat about :)
Natalia <3

Tornerose
April 8th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I'm having the exact same problem. Espcially when my hair got curls from bunwaves or whatever, it takes forever to get through the knots, it takes forever to get though the hair.. I gave in yesterday and got my plastic hairbrush out, as my wooden one have a tendency of getting my hair electric and flyaway.

pdy2kn6
April 8th, 2009, 04:24 AM
hey, are you talking about weaning off brushing with ordinary brushes or a boar bristle brush? i was actually considering starting back with my boar bristle brush...but maybe ill have to rethink it...

Natalia
April 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Pdy2kn6 - I was reffering to general use plastic brushes most non-LHCers use on a whim :p. I am interested in BBB's but i cant afford one right now :(. I am weaning off a conair general use plastic and my favorite old plastic paddle brush (dont know the brand ive had it for years and the stamp has worn off).

Tornerose - I totally get this! Especially when i was wearing a classic three strand to bed. It made it so hard until my next wash. The leftover frizz from the waves relaxing never goes away even after a week until i finally give in and wash it. I am currently wearing a two strand twist to bed and it creates less tangles when i let my hair free. Ive yet to have a wooden brush...hmmm i thought it was supposed to help reduce static. O well everyone is different :p hopefully i wont get to much static.

wintersun99
April 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Anywho...

Natalia <3

I didn't transition. I read that combing was better than brushing and decided to try it (hair was APL+ at the time). I bought a wide tooth, wooden comb from The Body Shop and threw out my nasty, plastic brush. Never went back.

I have tried BBB brushes and hate them. They seem to really eat my hair (make it flat and frizzy at the same time and I swear it damaged the canopy and made the hair split) so I tossed that after the first couple uses.

Benefits, not really sure. I like that combing does not make my hair frizzy. I also noticed less breakage. I threw out my hair dryer at the same time though, so that could also have had some effect. Not having those two items meant I spent far less time "messing" with my hair (style products, etc.) and that has also had benefit.

Favorite comb is the wide tooth, wooden one from The Body Shop, but I've not tried any others... :p

marajade
April 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hello! I thought about putting this in accesories but i though i might get more relevant answers here but feel free to move if needed :).

Anyway after surfing the board ive noticed some people are trying to "wean" off brushing. I have sort of unintentionally done the same. After my shedding experiance in the shower i decided i need to be extra careful with the hair i have left. Hence the no brushing, it just seems to casue more breakage and fall out at least that ive noticed anyway.

I though if there as many of us as there seems we could support eachother. I think the hardest part for me is the inconvenience. Having to work through my hair so very carefully with my itty bitty comb. Its nice no seams that i can see (just found it lying around, no idea where it came from *shrugs*) but it is one of those two sided deals.

The wide tooth side is awesome once the larger tangles are gone it just glides but the teeth on the other side are superfine and broken in many places :(. I just find it anoying to have about 2 maybe 2 1/2 inches of workable space. Im used to being able to (albeit damagingly) whip through brushing in a minute or two where as combing takes 5 - 10 minutes. I am thinking of getting that comb everyone talk about at the body shop. It looks like it has nice spacing and all maybe a bigger comb would help?

Anywho...

Natalia <3

I would say I've reduced my breakage by probably 70-80&#37; by not using a brush. In fact, this last time I got my hair trimmed which had been the first time in a year, the hairdresser couldn't find any splits. She said my hair looked the healthiest of anyone she had ever seen at that length (hip). I got a horn comb- it has no seams. Any seamless comb would work-such as wood. I have heard lots of good things about the body shop combs.

I would say get rid of that comb with the broken tines- it is not worth it!

Conditioner and water help with detangling too. I've heard a lot of good things about the tangle teezer- which is a "brush" but its supposed to be really good for your hair.

You might go to the pharmacy and get a plastic comb designed for the shower- these are great with lots of conditioner to help detangle. That will help you cut down on detangling.

Anyways to answer your first question last :p- it is time consuming compared to brushing but it is totally worth it- the things I mentioned above will help you speed up the detangling a little more.

myotislucifugus
April 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM
When I first started growing my hair I left brushes behind... The body shop comb is amazing, the tips are perfectly rounded and give a great massage. The teeth are perfectly spaced. A brush has touched my hair once in 4 years (recently, my hair was a mess, and I was at my DBFs place, didn't think to bring a comb... etc) and it way awful. The only thing I miss is how smooth the top of my hair was when I brushed it, but having healthy hair is totally worth it.

enfys
April 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
<b>What do you find the hardest about combing or trasitioning?</b>
I find that combing just works knots tighter. Even finger combing I hear more snap/ping/pop noises than brushing.

<b>What benefits are you hopeing to get or are noticing?</b>
I'd like to be able to take a comb out with my as it's less bulky, but I can't justify the damage it would cause.

<b>Do you have a favorite material or tooth spacing?</b>
No, they're all evil. And I've tried a lot of combs.

Maybe some people are just designed to brush? As long as I don't use a round brush I'm fine with just about anything. I never brush or comb in the shower, or wet though. I never need to.

Right now I think I just have weird hair....

Samitra
April 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I agree, the body shop comb is wonderful! And it's quite cheap...

I put away my brush a week ago. It wasn't so hard, but I had to hide it in a drawer I rarely open.

Unnamed
April 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
No transition. I switched cold about 4.5 years ago (slightly before or after my join date here), after finding very little hair in the comb (whereas I got tons in a brush). After about 6 months I knew I'd never go back, as my ends did not thin at all (and normally they would have thinned a TON by then, and need 1-2" trimmed off).

So...

Downsides are it does take longer (2-5 minutes, instead of 30 secs to 1 min), but it's really not that much of a difference. Also I comb my hair less often than I used to brush it, and so I actually probably spend less time over the course of a day using the comb than I did with a brush. Again, I transitioned cold (banned myself from touching my brush right from the start, and so went from bushing only to combing only). Told myself that if I couldn't find comb I'd either not comb hair until I found it, or just use my fingers.

Oh, and you do hear when hairs break with a comb. With a brush it gets blended in with the sound of brushing, but with a comb you don't have anything to cover it up. Remembering/learning to go slower pretty much got rid of that.

Benefits I was hoping for (and got) were less breakage/less severe taper. Instead of brushing through the tangles (and breaking hairs that would later cause *more* tangles), the tangles were being undone. I have a 'brush damage' line/taper, and all my splits are below that line (that line is about 3-4" below the dye lines, so it's around lower tailbone/almost classic now).

And, hmm, on comb spacing. Wider spacing seems to mean less time to take to comb. I have a Conair comb that has wide spacing, a much finer spaced comb that I use mostly when putting up hair or if I want to more thoroughly detangle, and I also have a Body Shop comb. I've not used the last much (wanted to sand it in a couple of spots, and misplaced it!) but I'm betting it'll work great when I find it/get to actually use it.

On material: Not so much material as that the combs be *seamless* (or unable to feel the seams/nothing catches the hair). So horn, wood, and saw cut plastic for materials. The Conair comb I have does have seams, but they're quite smooth.

Feline
April 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I have been using a wide tooth comb only for not quite a year, and I think there is definitely an improvement. There are fewer hairs in the comb than in a brush, much less breakage and splits, and I think it looks better. Downside is the amount of time it takes- I detangle at least four times a day, more if I got caught in a wind or otherwise messed up. Still is not much more than when I was brushing. Experiment of one continuing....

AmyJorgensen
April 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I hope I don't give anyone a heartattack, but I have been using a boar bristle brush...that also has a plastic spike with a rounded nub in each clump of BB....for at least 10 years. I think I must be comb ignorant, because it always gives me horrible tangles to try to comb, even with widely spaced combs....maybe I will try again and go much slower and see how it goes.

LHGypsyRose
April 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I hope I don't give anyone a heartattack, but I have been using a boar bristle brush...that also has a plastic spike with a rounded nub in each clump of BB....for at least 10 years. I think I must be comb ignorant, because it always gives me horrible tangles to try to comb, even with widely spaced combs....maybe I will try again and go much slower and see how it goes.

Well the brush cetainly doesn't seem to be causing your lovely hair any harm:)

amaiaisabella
April 8th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Pdy2kn6 - I was reffering to general use plastic brushes most non-LHCers use on a whim :p. I am interested in BBB's but i cant afford one right now :(. I am weaning off a conair general use plastic and my favorite old plastic paddle brush (dont know the brand ive had it for years and the stamp has worn off).

If you are interested in a BBB, Sally's sells a variation for very cheap. I'm not sure if they are authentic boar bristle, but work very nicely- and there is a variety of them to choose from based on your needs, as well as combs. As mentioned by other posters, the Body Shop's wooden comb is also pretty good as well :)

Natalia
April 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
<b>What do you find the hardest about combing or trasitioning?</b>
I find that combing just works knots tighter. Even finger combing I hear more snap/ping/pop noises than brushing.

<b>What benefits are you hopeing to get or are noticing?</b>
I'd like to be able to take a comb out with my as it's less bulky, but I can't justify the damage it would cause.

<b>Do you have a favorite material or tooth spacing?</b>
No, they're all evil. And I've tried a lot of combs.

Maybe some people are just designed to brush? As long as I don't use a round brush I'm fine with just about anything. I never brush or comb in the shower, or wet though. I never need to.

Right now I think I just have weird hair....

Aww im sorry the both (this is also to AmyJorgensen i just couldnt get her quote in here for some reason) of you have had such negative experiances with combing :(. Maybe your hair is just uniqe to do well with a brush or vice-versa :p. As long as youve found the method that works for you thats all that matters :).

I would say I've reduced my breakage by probably 70-80% by not using a brush. In fact, this last time I got my hair trimmed which had been the first time in a year, the hairdresser couldn't find any splits. She said my hair looked the healthiest of anyone she had ever seen at that length (hip). I got a horn comb- it has no seams. Any seamless comb would work-such as wood. I have heard lots of good things about the body shop combs.

I would say get rid of that comb with the broken tines- it is not worth it!

Conditioner and water help with detangling too. I've heard a lot of good things about the tangle teezer- which is a "brush" but its supposed to be really good for your hair.

You might go to the pharmacy and get a plastic comb designed for the shower- these are great with lots of conditioner to help detangle. That will help you cut down on detangling.

Anyways to answer your first question last :p- it is time consuming compared to brushing but it is totally worth it- the things I mentioned above will help you speed up the detangling a little more.

Im so glad youve had such a positive experiance! Its very encouraging to hear :). As soon as i get a new comb i think i will take your advice and get rid of my broken albeit newly loved comb. Its not the side i use and i cover it with my hand while combing so i hope its not affecting me to much. I am thinking of getting out my tools and just removing that portion and polishing the end smooth so i have a travel comb :p i just cant stand to part with something that seems to work!

I agree, the body shop comb is wonderful! And it's quite cheap...

I put away my brush a week ago. It wasn't so hard, but I had to hide it in a drawer I rarely open.

Im glad to hear another positive review! Congratulations on a brush free week! Makes me think cold turkey is worth it.

If you are interested in a BBB, Sally's sells a variation for very cheap. I'm not sure if they are authentic boar bristle, but work very nicely- and there is a variety of them to choose from based on your needs, as well as combs. As mentioned by other posters, the Body Shop's wooden comb is also pretty good as well :)

Thank you for the advice, i have a sally pretty near me so one day if i am up to it iw ill go comb/BBB hunting.

Oh and to the collective just in case i missed anyone or anything i wanted to send out a HUGE thank you for the encouragment, advice, and personal experiances go and bad :). It really helps keep me motivated and willing to try new things. So thanks again everyone!

Natalia

vindo
April 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM
What do you find the hardest about combing or transitioning?

Back in the day :p I used to enjoy a thorough brush, like a massage and it was always a very convenient way of freshening up my hair. It was hard to give up that feel and leave the hair alone (used to brush 20+times)

I am hoping for less damage, it is hard to tell what the years of combing did for me, but logically it makes sense.

I like boxwood combs as well as my non static plastic "Efalock" Curls Comb, the curls comb is very wide and long toothed, perfect for detangling. After that I comb with one of my boxwood combs, I have a casual chinese comb from LeBaoLong (der froehliche Drache)which is also use on oily hair, and a traditional japanese boxwood comb which I use for fresh hair days.
Before Washing I use my BBB on my scalp to get rid of any buildup.

I do not own a normal brush anymore...have not used one in 2 years.;)

susiemw
April 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
When are you combing?

Let me recommend using a wide toothed comb or pick and detangling your hair when in the shower while your hair is lathered in conditioner.

This should leave your hair nicely detangled and you shouldn't have to use the narrow toothed part of your comb.

good luck

susan

Eden_Rayn
April 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I recently been a very bad girl and been using my roommates brush out of frustration. (yea I know bad and gross). When I was using my comb full time I did notice a difference in my hair in the number of tangles. After combing I had far less tangles after using the comb for a week. I don't know what did it but that was the first huge difference I noticed. The second thing I noticed was my hair was not as big/poofy. And Lastly the last thing I noticed was my hair felt a lot softer.

I can not say that all where do to just the combing but I think it was a huge part.

As for me brushing I have stopped that as of this week and I plan on being a comb and finger comb kind of girl since my hair is getting long enough to do the finger comb.

Siava
April 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I absolutely chuckled at the thread opener, Natalia. "Weaning" is such a perfect term. :lol:

Maybe I'll get flogged, who knows! I still brush on occassion, but usually resort to finger combing and/or using a wide tooth comb. Finger combing is so much more gentle and successful on priorly bunned/updo'd hair. Working little knots out with the fingertips (I've found) results in less rips, although more time consuming. It's worth it though.

Unlike many people on this board though, I LIKE having big 80's hair so the brush has not been thrown away. It comes out in Winter. I'm not totally crazy - humid Summers are out of the question. :p

marajade
April 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
What do you find the hardest about combing or transitioning?

Back in the day :p I used to enjoy a thorough brush, like a massage and it was always a very convenient way of freshening up my hair. It was hard to give up that feel and leave the hair alone (used to brush 20+times)

I really think this is the only thing I miss about brushing especially when someone else is brushing/grooming me. It is so relaxing. :cloud9: I guess if you detangle with the comb first and then have someone "brush" your hair it shouldn't cause too much damage? :confused:

HairColoredHair
April 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM
My transition went like this:

Step 1: Buy good comb
Step 2: Throw away brushes.
Step 3: Don't buy more brushes.

Natalia
April 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I absolutely chuckled at the thread opener, Natalia. "Weaning" is such a perfect term. :lol:

Lol that made me giggle! You have no idea how many times i used my thesaurus (yes i am a teribel speller :p ) to get just the right word to fit. Nothing sounded right till that came to mind :D

My transition went like this:

Step 1: Buy good comb
Step 2: Throw away brushes.
Step 3: Don't buy more brushes.

You made me laugh too a practical after my own heart! I wish i was patient enough to let my practicality rule.

RoseRedDead
April 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
My transtion was like this (to steal HCH's format):

Step 1: Steal - er, borrow with no intention of returning - sister's widetooth comb.
Step 2: Give away brushes to sisters/mother.
Step 3: Buy horn comb.
Step 4: Occasionally borrow sister's paddle brush when I want the feel of the bristles on my scalp.

It wasn't a big deal, but then I was determined to change. And I'm pretty stubborn.

steph in tx
April 12th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I really think this is the only thing I miss about brushing especially when someone else is brushing/grooming me. It is so relaxing. :cloud9: I guess if you detangle with the comb first and then have someone "brush" your hair it shouldn't cause too much damage? :confused:

I sure hope this is the case because this is what I do. Well, nobody brushes for me. I do it myself. This thread is really timely for me. I was going to post today asking about my brush. I feel like my hair does ok with a comb, but it looks better with my brush. It's some tourmaline infused metal-bristled brush I got at walmart years ago. I don't own a seamless comb yet, but I have begun the hunt for one this weekend. In the meantime, what is worse for my hair? My metal-bristled brush (after a thorough detangling with the wide-tooth comb) or only the wide-tooth comb with seams?

I hope that once my hair grows longer I can ditch the brush for good, but my daughter has classic-length (for her 8 year old body) very thick and very wavy/curly hair. I tried using just the comb on her today and it was a nightmare. How do you wurly girls do it?