PDA

View Full Version : I've cut my hair on one side in anger please help

pisces73
April 8th, 2009, 01:24 AM
hi all i really need some advice on what to do with my hair, i have thick hair with a fringe which has finally grown to 17" from my middle parting,well on sunday i did the most stupid thing i was having a beer with my hubby in the garden and i was watering plants with the hose pipe when he grabbed hold of it and soacked my hair so i went inside and took my bobble out and i started to get really peeved off that he had soacked my hair as it take me ages to dry,so he turns round and says god its only hair,to which i grabbed my hairdressing scissors out the draw in a moment of madness and got hold of a chunk of my hair on the right side and said there you go and i just hacked it off,well im gutted now i cant belive what a stupid thing i did,i have cut it to the bottom of my ear lobe and around 4" in,i look a right silly sod,i cant wear it down at all i can put it in a pony tail and grip back the shorter bits and you cant tell what i have done.i have tried moving my parting to go over the short hair but it looks ridiculous.i just dont know what to do how long will it take to grow? so ive gone from all one length hair to a big chunk with about a 6" difference in length,i dont want to cut the other side and i dont want to go to hairdresser.i really cant describe how daft it looks when its down,with it been that thick its like a blunt chunk and i dersent thin it out,the only good thing is when it is wet in its natural form its very wavy which does blend it in a bit,but i dont really wear it down curly,does anyone have any ideas or is there a miracle shampoo ive not read about, please dont advise me to go to hairdressers as i wont go as i get my mam to trim my hair for me,and i cant ask my mam to do that as shes gonna think im bloody loopy for what ive done,i just want my hair back ive even put it in a little bag, hope someone can help with ideas thanks michelle x

Jules diamond
April 8th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I'm pretty new, so I can't answer your questions, but I definitely feel for you.

Elenna
April 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Pisces73

First of all, welcome to LHC.

Can you wear your hair pulled back somehow maybe in a half-up, a side clip, or with a band? I think that some of the younger people here could think of more trendy solutions.

longhairedfairy
April 8th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I would side part it and clip it in place very securely.

Stevy
April 8th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Poor you! Have you thought about getting some clip-in extensions to put in on that side to even the length out until it grows back?

DecafJane
April 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I agree with the others. If you want to keep going with minimal chopping, then I would pull it up until it gets to around APL, at which point I would trim the long bits an inch at a time until the shorter part catches up, and then continue growing. This will probably take about a year.
You can probably get clip-on extensions (as Stevy said) to wear when you want to wear your hair out.

Otherwise, you can go to the hairdresser and get a bob or something, so you are growing it out evenly.

I really feel for you, and don't think you should do anything in a hurry, particularly as you are able to tie it all up.

How much of your hair is chopped? Can you put up pictures? People here grow out fringes/bangs all of the time, with the aid of hair clips and headbands. Is it a small enough of a chunk that you could keep it back with a headband?

Milui Elenath
April 8th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I'm really sorry. That's awful, poor you.

I don't know anything about hair extensions but if you still have the hair I wonder if it's possible to attach somehow? Anyone know?

brok3nwings
April 8th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Im sorry that this happened to you. In the way i see it you have two options...
you can deal with it clipping and trying to hide it the best you can
or
you can try to style it with your mom, a hairdresser whatever you think is best, you could use it as a long and thick bangs (i do have those also because of a stupid mistake), you could try to put some layers on that part so it doesnt look so "homemade".. and so thick.
Im sorry
try to download some pictures so we can help you better with this

Tap Dancer
April 8th, 2009, 05:03 AM
If you want your hair to be even, the only thing you can do is cut it.

DecafJane
April 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM
If you want your hair to be even, the only thing you can do is cut it.

That is true, but I am curious about just how much hair she cut off. If it is as little as something that could be evened up with layers (or grown out like bangs), it would seem to be a waste of length. On the other hand, if it is half of her hair, then I agree with you. :)

KnightsLady
April 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Oh Sweetie, I feel for you! I've done this too!

I had a short piece that used to constantly fall out of my updos. One day I just became so angry/frustrated with it, that I chopped it off! Fat lot of good it did. I then had to wait for it to grow out again, which was an even greater pain in the rear-end, because I had to go through all the "it won't fit in my updos" for so much longer than it would have been if I hadn't resorted to the scissors. Much to my embarrassment, my hairdresser commented on it when I went for my next trim. I tried to not say much about it. :o

I pinned the piece that I'd chopped and just waited for it to grow. It gave me the sh*ts each time I looked at it, but I got there in the end. It can't been seen now.

It may be an option to consider trimming a "growing out fringe" and shaping the sides, but my advice would be to pin it and wait a while before you try to do anything. Give yourself some space between the time of the action to have a good long think about your next step:meditate:, or you could find yourself reacting on impulse again.
:flower:

ETA: Oh, and don't listen to insensitive people (like your BF) when they tell you "it's just hair". It's not just hair to you, or you wouldn't have grabbed the scissors. You don't have to tell them that or justify yourself though. Just know it yourself. :flower: :flower: :flower:

Chromis
April 8th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Anger management classes? Making that sort of impulse cutting does not sound like a healthy mind, we'd hate for you to do something actually injurious! :blossom:

KnightsLady
April 8th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Anger management classes? Making that sort of impulse cutting does not sound like a healthy mind, we'd hate for you to do something actually injurious! :blossom:

Hormones and certain food additives can actually cause irrational impulsive self destructive behaviour too, so anger management classes might not be the only thing to take a look at.

WelshLocks
April 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I'm sorry. :(

Can you maybe twist the long side into rolls and barette the short side?That'd be cute.

aries
April 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I would keep it put up or pulled into pony as much as possible until the short side catches up to the long. That's just me. I am fighting a bad trim job and cutting more length to even things up but have decided to just wait it out and let it grow a few months then even it up. Slows progress some but at least you aren't losing all your length. You could also try those clip in extensions that can be purchased now and just trim them to the length of the other side. Be creative. I had a style in the 80's that was about 1 inch long on the right side and the left side was beyond bra strap (I let fellow cosmetology students experiment on me) lol, I just kept the long side trimmed same length the right until I got the length I wanted on the short side and then evened things up. It helped that I didn't have a mirror to look in at the time so really didn't know what my hair looked like heh, had a very small apartment in Germany for a while.

Linda K
April 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I'm really sorry. That's awful, poor you.

I don't know anything about hair extensions but if you still have the hair I wonder if it's possible to attach somehow? Anyone know?

Actually you might measure out the width of the barrette, then carefully smooth the cut piece out on a slick counter and run a quick bead of hot glue (or "Tacky" glue from craft shop might be better), pressing it lightly to be sure it gets worked into the hair to hold all of the thickness your going use as well as flattening it some so it fits better in whatever you attach it to.

Gently lift it loose - then use a small amount to attach to your hair toy. Maybe split it into 2 chunks making 2 so you don't get bored with the 'same ol' look. You can't get a better match than your own! Heck, you might really have fun with it - add some sparkle or bead or ??? Whatever your corner of the world will let you get away with! There is a silver lining somewhere in this cloud ...

HTH :o

marialena
April 8th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Now that summer comes it would be a nice idea to make to your hair these little braids, those that you can do it all of your hair. In the hair you cut you can ask to put you hair extensions. It is a very nice and girly hairdressing, you can have it for about 2-3 months and when you'll take them of, the hair that you've cut will have grow longer. It is modern, permanent, you won't have to cut your hair and won't cost you a fortune to do it.
In order you didn't understand what I'm talking about here are some pictures.

http://www.underconsideration.com/random/bo_derek.jpg

http://www.maxhairsalon.com/img/0905_d.jpg

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Wide head-bands or scarves. I tie my hair up in a scarf a lot in the summertime to keep it from becoming sun-damaged; it's a nice look, kind of exotic.

wintersun99
April 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Honest opinion? Cutting 6" in a fit, just for getting soaked with water, seems an incredibly odd thing to do. Perhaps deep examination of self, while waiting for hair to grow? In the meantime, if you don't want to cut your hair anymore, than I'd invest in headbands, scarves and cute hats for the next year.

myotislucifugus
April 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Well, I hope next time you cut his hair off instead...

There are some interesting styles you could try that call for one side shorter than the other, maybe if you have pics you could try some lovely one side over the eye, other side pinned up in a kind of retro look. At 4" you could twist it back and pin it with a clip, something to detract from the lack of dangling ends. It's hard to tell without a pic. Good luck!

JamieLeigh
April 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM
It's really hard to help in a specific way without photos or even a better description to use as a guideline. But in a general way, the scarf solution and also the extensions solution sound the best, in my opinion. Or you'll just have to bite the bullet and let someone cut it for you. :flower: I'm sorry this has happened to you! Good luck.

Periwinkle
April 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
You might be able to disguise the bluntness of it by cutting up into it slightly (you might have had that done to your fringe before). That would blend it into your hair a bit better.

You could try picking up that part of the hair (and possibly some of the longer hair as well, to disguise it), twisting it and then clipping it back with a kirby grip, sleeper clip or something similar. Or try a French-style rope braid on part of it (like this (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/Twist.htm), only only pull in from one side so it'll go down the side of your head) and fasten with a clip or a small hairtie.

Sherri
April 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Maybe try hats for awhile with nice wide scarf underneath for when the hat has to come off.

Drynwhyl
April 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Or make it into a unusual new hairstyle. :D
Really, I'd do that (well, I wouldn't chop it off to start with, but yeah xD)
Then again, if you're a bit more conservative, others have some less-obvious ideas :)

jojo
April 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Mmmm..seems a strange thing to do for being wet, but we all have our moments! what I would do is cut the front until its even and just looks like a fringe which is growing out, or possible turn it into a side fringe?

In the mean time, take a chill pill, put your feet up, relax and read through the posts, before you know it, your hair wll be back, oh and welcome to LHC!!!

GlennaGirl
April 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Having done this (not one side and not a rude chop, but a planned "I'm going to cut off inches and inches...then he'll see!" kind of way), I can say that there is deep, deep, DEEP anger behind this.

Sorry. Not trying to go all psychological on you.

You are angry enough to, well, mutilate...but you know you can't do it to him, so you did it to you.

Don't cut off the rest of your hair. Work around it using people's suggestions here. But do address how extremely angry you are at your husband. That would be my suggestion. Hugs to you.

Lamb
April 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Depending on the actual amount you cut, you may be able to hide it with scarves, bandanas, very wide headbands, etc.

But I do suggest that you do some soul-searching to find out why you actually did this. Did the beer have anything to do with it?

eyesofsummer
April 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Echoing the above: scarves, headbands, and clips can definitely do the trick! I think once you get to the point where you can tuck it all behind your ear you'll be fine. Maybe consider getting your hair angled on both sides so it frames your face?

Caldonia Sun
April 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I would go to my hairdresser and get a really cool cut and chalk it up to experience. It will grow again.

manderly
April 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Echoing others, you have received plenty of advice regarding the physical, but I believe you need to address the anger and impulse controls.

That's a pretty major reaction to someone getting your hair wet. Hacking off a chunk of hair? Where is the line? Will you slice your wrists if he doesn't take out the trash? Sorry to be blunt, but he got you wet, commented that it's just hair (which honestly if all he did was get it wet, then yeah, big whoop, it's annoying, but it's just wet hair) and you proceeded to chop it in a fit of rage. Will that rage be turned outward to him at some point?

I'm not a doctor, but I think you should speak to one about this situation. :flowers:

Welcome to LHC.

jera
April 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Poor you! Have you thought about getting some clip-in extensions to put in on that side to even the length out until it grows back?

That's an excellent idea. I was just about to recommend it. :)

Olivia23
April 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I know it's too late about the hair, but put down the beer! Just kidding LOL!