PDA

View Full Version : So... uh... I've got a question

.Amanaka.
April 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know how to remove candle wax from hair?

Helen Baq
April 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I know how to remove it from cloth and you could just modify that method, if your hair is long enough where the wax is.

Get some newspaper and put the waxy parts between several layers of paper. Set your iron to low setting and iron the paper with the wax in it. The wax will melt and soak into the paper. Whatever is left on your hair can be washed out. :)

freznow
April 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Oil? Conditioner? (I'd give a long soak in conditioner a try before going to iron it! But iron will probably work if nothing else does.)

Morticia
April 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I know that after waxing to remove hair, they use oil to remove the extra wax. So, maybe that would work?

.Amanaka.
April 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hm. It looks like a conditioner soak is definitely in, as well as possibly an oil soak. It isn't very much, so I'm hoping that the conditioner and fine tooth comb should get it.

wintersun99
April 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know how to remove candle wax from hair?

Is there a good story behind this? :)

.Amanaka.
April 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Uh... maybe?

AmyJorgensen
April 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
When I was I teen I dipped my hair accidentally into one of those melting candle pots...so I feel your pain...unfortunately I don't remember how I fixed it....I think I just picked at it in a panic.

Elphie
April 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
You might want to try applying an ice cube to it and see if you can get it off that way. Be gentle, of course.

earthdancer
April 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
If the wax is not too close to your head, pound on the blob with a hammer or even a can of vegetables to break up the blob and pick the pieces out of your hair. Then use lighter fluid to get the remainder out. Then wash your hair to get the residue of the lighter fluid out of your hair.

Juneii
April 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM
oh my geebus, do we want to know how it happened? :]

I agree with everyone else. either melt it off if it's too soft to pick out, or freeze it so you can.

.Amanaka.
April 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
oh my geebus, do we want to know how it happened? :]

I agree with everyone else. either melt it off if it's too soft to pick out, or freeze it so you can.

It was more stupidity and a ponytail than anything else.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Anje
April 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Ack!

I think I'll add a vote for putting ice cubes on the wax to harden it so that you can pick most of it off. Sounds a lot less damaging that ironing it! After you get most of it, you might be able to oil it up good, then brush it out with a BBB. Or wash it and bbb when dry.

Helen Baq
April 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
No offense to anyone, but I don't see how beating on a your hair with a hammer to break up wax, picking at it, and all, is better for your hair than an iron on a really low setting (like silk setting) with several layers of newspaper in between the iron and your hair... You only need to iron it for just long enough to heat the wax. I don't use heating appliances on my hair, but I'd rather do a quick iron than pound on it... :confused:

I'd try oiling it first, though. :)

Arctic_Mama
April 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I'd reccomend heat and newspaper as well - that is how we remove wax from batik and it is gentle enough not to damage the silk, it should be fine for hair as well.

BranwenWolf
April 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I've gotten wax out of heavy-pile carpet with an ice cube so I'd vote for that.

But... I'd really like to hear the story behind it. :D

IndigoInk
April 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
You might want to try applying an ice cube to it and see if you can get it off that way. Be gentle, of course.

I would try this b/c it's how I get wax tarts out of their burners, and melty candles out of their holders. It comes right out. You might have some residue but that should wash out.

You might even try just soaking it in icy water and then fiddling with the wax to break it up and get it off your hair.

Nyghtingale
April 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I vote ice cube too. :chillpill:

AutumnSky
April 7th, 2009, 11:24 PM
One more vote for the ice cube....I pop my candle holders in the freezer when they need cleaning...works better than ANYTHING I've ever tried.

Branwenwolf, would you come over and take a crack at the wax in MY deep shag carpet? Hours I spent on it, and it's still down there. Uff.

longhairedfairy
April 8th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Don't be embarrassed to tell how it happened! We all have silly accidents! :D

Loviatar
April 8th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I've got candle wax out of my hair before with a LOT of EVOO. I dunked the hair in ice water first, making sure to rub the cubes on the waxed parts, then soaked it in EVOO for maybe an hour. And I mean soaked, as in 'I'd be ashamed to leave the house looking like this'.

And before anyone asks for my version of events, no it was not stupidity or a ponytail :eyebrows:

I used a comb to pull the oily wax out once it was loosened. This was before LHC though, so I probably wasnt as gentle as LHCers would have liked. But I'm sure gentle combing would work too after the oil soak.

HTH

RoseRedDead
April 8th, 2009, 05:37 AM
And before anyone asks for my version of events, no it was not stupidity or a ponytail :eyebrows:

Lovi, you naughty girl! I love it! :eyebrows: It's on my to-do list.... hehehehe.

Dear OP - I would follow the suggest of an oil soak as outlined by the other, smarter people here. Theoretically, it would seem that you could soak your hair and then slide the wax right out. :)

earthdancer
April 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM
No offense to anyone, but I don't see how beating on a your hair with a hammer to break up wax, picking at it, and all, is better for your hair than an iron on a really low setting (like silk setting) with several layers of newspaper in between the iron and your hair...

It depends on how much wax there is; having taken a real puddle of hard wax out of a carpet, I can testify that just heating the wax would not be good (too much wax), and oiling it would be hopeless. However, a small amount could be removed in any number of ways; if the oiling helps, please let us know, as it's good info for future use!

Um, the hammer thing was meant to hit the wax, not the hair, and it's only wax, so the force needed should be minimal. Not talking jackhammer here.:D

.Amanaka.
April 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
So I got it out with hot water, a lot of conditioner, a comb, and patience. Well, I think I got it all out, but I haven't really looked at it today - there didn't seem to be any in there when I combed.

And for the story... I was at a jewelry party last night, and there was this game that we played, where you had to pass the gift to the person who was the tallest, or had the longest hair, etc. And I had my hair in a ponytail at the request of my coworkers daughter.

Anyway, after the party my aunt wanted me to blow out the candle 'Since you're the tallest one here'. So I picked it up, blew it out, and apparently tipped it enough to have it pour all over my hair and sweatshirt.

The ironic part is that I won a candle (it was the party gift thing.)

Alia
April 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Oh, no! Candles and long hair are such a dangerous pair. I'm glad to hear you got it out. :)

MotherConfessor
April 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM
very very carefully

enfys
April 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM
At least the wax got you, not the flame!

At least we know that conditioner will get it out.

Candide
August 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
very very carefully

I was waiting for that.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM
Ice :) Its also how i get candle bits from votive cups