PDA

View Full Version : do you all heat up oil?

jojo
April 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Hi all,
My hair has always loved oil and I have always applied it to damp hair straight from the bottle, however recently its not looking asgood after a deep oil treatment, so I am wondering should I try heating the oil up before?

What are all your experiences with hot oil V cold oils?

My hair seems more crunchy after a oil lately!

Coriander
April 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Interesting question - my coconut oil is usually at a soft solid (it being about 75 indoors). However if it's really cold that morning I will liquify it by rubbing my hands together.

I have put cold oil through my hair before and it ends up gunky.

starla_zero
April 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I've never actually thought about it. I don't heat it up to apply to my scalp, but on the lengths, I rub it in my palms then smooth it down, so I guess that heats it up somewhat.

Aisha25
April 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I heat it everytime. If I do cold my hairs gets rough and not smooth.

jojo
April 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Thank you for your answers, it never occurred to me before as to if it is beneficial to heat it up prior to applying. Well I am sat here with heated up sweet almond oil on my hair, will see how much difference there is in he morning. I have been rather lazy lately apart from my henna gloss, my hair has been pretty much neglected and its crying out for moisture.

Will let you know the results tomorrow.

mikegeorge
April 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Other than coconut oil, maybe you should not heat oil, here is an excert from Anthony Morrocco:

Massage Euro Organic Oil into hair and scalp using a scalp massager or a Mason Pearson brush, then sit in the sun for 3 to 5 minutes to activate the natural life force of the oil, then leave on from l/2 hour to several hours. Never heat the oil. It will destroy its vitality. Wrap your head in a towel or use a plastic cap or a wet, heated towel. (Wet the towel, ring it out and place in a microwave for 30 to 60 seconds. In cold weather, heat the towel repeatedly).

I always heat coconut oil, because I live in Alaska and it is about 65 degrees in my house. If I warm it in hands it seems to harden before I get it rubbed in. I never heat jojoba oil because it is in a liquid state and ready for use. Heating might damage or change the molecular structure of other oils, so further research might be necessary for each oil. I never thought about it until I read the above.

practikalmagik
April 8th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Other than coconut oil, maybe you should not heat oil, here is an excert from Anthony Morrocco:

Massage Euro Organic Oil into hair and scalp using a scalp massager or a Mason Pearson brush, then sit in the sun for 3 to 5 minutes to activate the natural life force of the oil, then leave on from l/2 hour to several hours. Never heat the oil. It will destroy its vitality. Wrap your head in a towel or use a plastic cap or a wet, heated towel. (Wet the towel, ring it out and place in a microwave for 30 to 60 seconds. In cold weather, heat the towel repeatedly).

By sitting in the sun you will heat it up, which gets the oil doing it's thing it's got nothing to do with life force.....

I always heat up my coconut oil by rubbing it in my palms before smoothing it in. If i'm doing a full oiling pre-wash i use coconut and olive oil and heat them up gently too. I never have it hotter then I can touch so it doesn't damage my skin or hair. I am a bit of a wuss with heat too so my threshold for heat isnt much lol.

longhairedfairy
April 8th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I have never heated it up, but mine is camellia oil, so it's light and not gunky at all.:)

Stevy
April 8th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I used to when I was doing deep conditioning with extra virgin olive oil, but now I use lighter oils like rice bran oil and coconut I don't bother.

jojo
April 8th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Well I washed the oil off this morning and yes there is a difference, my hair does not feel crunchy but really conditioned. It looks a lot shinier too.

I suppose its different for everybody, but my hair for the time being likes to have the oil heated prior to a deep oiling. My hair does change its preferences from month to month.

JamieLeigh
April 8th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I use EVOO, and I heat it up prior to applying (not piping hot, though!). I've tried it both ways and it seems to work better for me when warm. :)

jojo
April 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
me too!

wonder why this is though???

Carolyn
April 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I don't warm my oils mostly due to laziness. However I have a heat cap that I use on oiled hair sometimes. I cover my hair with a plastic cap and a turbie twist and then put the heat cap on. I think it helps the oil penetrate my hair better but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Juanita
April 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I don't heat my oil. But as I live in a tropical climate it's always liquid. I apply it after washing my hair whilst it's still damp. Then apply more during the week as necessary. Makes my fine thin hair happy.

pdy2kn6
April 8th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Well I washed the oil off this morning and yes there is a difference, my hair does not feel crunchy but really conditioned. It looks a lot shinier too.

I suppose its different for everybody, but my hair for the time being likes to have the oil heated prior to a deep oiling. My hair does change its preferences from month to month.

great article JOJO,i was wondering the same. Perhaps i need to use some heated oils on my crunchy ends. how did you heat up? microwave?

:)

nowxisxforever
April 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I don't heat up my oil, no. I don't have a microwave and it seems silly to me... :)?

Susana
April 8th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I use coconut or jojoba. I never heat it up...well I rub the coconut between my hands if it is solid, but I don't actually put it on the stove. I never thought about it too much, but then again maybe I am just being lazy. I also apply mostly before I wash, not after.

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Yesterday I coated the bottom foot of my hair with coconut oil, braided and worked out, then undid the braid and applied honey and conditioner to all my hair, a shower cap, and sat in the dry sauna (hot!). I CO'd in the shower later. Such good results! It's almost like wearing somebody else's heavy and satiny hair.