PDA

View Full Version : How tight is too tight?

pdy2kn6
April 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Everyone knows about how damaging it can be to your follicles having your hair tied back really tightly, ie bald spots and things, but how do you know how tight is too tight? I have been reading places about people having hairloss, even though their hair is always up but 'not feeling tight'. I usually wear my hair in a secure, but not feeling painful or tight sort of way. I guess its a hard to make the distinction between what is 'secure and protective not pulling on your follicles' sort of updos and those which may be actually causing you more damage. Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

jojo
April 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
If your belly button is positioned on your chin after you tie your hair back, its waaaaaaaay to tight!

NeilTheFuzz
April 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
When I tie my hair back I allow a little bounce in all of my hair above the tie. Just so I can move my head about without feeling any pulling.

@ jojo HAHAHA! hairs too tight, spine too loose.

AJoifulNoise
April 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM
If your belly button is positioned on your chin after you tie your hair back, its waaaaaaaay to tight!

Naaaah, you only have to worry when your belly button is in the middle of your forehead. ;)

In truth, I would say pain while your hair is up or after you take it down would mean it's too tight. I have to put my hair up kinda tight or it falls down. But, if it feels painful, I redo it.

lizzyjo
April 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
If you are using your hairstyle as an eyelift, your hair may be too tight.

Seriously though, I gauge the overall tightness by how long I can wear a certain style before it becomes painful

Nat242
April 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I agree with AJN - a hairstyle shouldn't hurt or feel tight when it's up, OR after you take it down.

Remember also to vary your styles and tension - if my hair has been in a bun all day, usually when I get home I take it down or put it in a very loose braid. This gives my scalp a break.

Speckla
April 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
It's too tight if your peripheral vision improves to the point where you can see the ponytail in the back of your head. ;)

jojo
April 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
@ AJN ouch! LOL!

Seriously I find I get headaches if its too tight, bu even if you tie your hair back looser I think its wise to reposition your pony, bun etc from time to time during the day to prevent damage, also never put an elastic too tight, IMHO even the ouch-less ones can damage hair if used too tight.

AmyJorgensen
April 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Pdy2kn6----I am curious which bun you are using as your "main" bun? I love to do the infinity....and it is by far the easiest for me to manage, but I do worry about twisting it too tight.

Juneii
April 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
if your eyebrows give you a surprised look then it's too tight :D

Anje
April 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
OK, I swear I've seen infomercials for "instant facelift" products with adhesives and elastic straps that go under the hair of people whose hair is too short to pull into a facelifting updo!

If you want an actual guideline, I think you probably should be able to comfortably get a pencil under the hair near the hairline, without pulling hair out of the updo. If you can slide a bun or ponytail up toward your forehead a bit, it's probably plenty loose (though if you have really heavy hair, it could still pull on your hairline).

AnimaSola3o4
April 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM

:rollin:

0123456789(ten characters)

AnimaSola3o4
April 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
OK, I swear I've seen infomercials for "instant facelift" products with adhesives and elastic straps that go under the hair of people whose hair is too short to pull into a facelifting updo!

If you want an actual guideline, I think you probably should be able to comfortably get a pencil under the hair near the hairline, without pulling hair out of the updo. If you can slide a bun or ponytail up toward your forehead a bit, it's probably plenty loose (though if you have really heavy hair, it could still pull on your hairline).

Face tape! I've seen people use this and even tried it myself with skin tape (when i had bangs to cover it enough!)

SHELIAANN1969
April 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM

haha, that's hilarious jojo! Are we feeling chipper this evening? :D I am :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: over that comment!

pdy2kn6
April 8th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Pdy2kn6----I am curious which bun you are using as your "main" bun? I love to do the infinity....and it is by far the easiest for me to manage, but I do worry about twisting it too tight.

most days i wear a nautillus bun, or everynow and again just a cinnamon bun, always with a small about 5 inch paint brush through it (no brush though on the end-i snapped the brush part off). haha cheapskate

JamieLeigh
April 8th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Also, if you notice breakage or hairfall (above normal amount) when you take the style loose, you should either re-think doing that particular style, or the way you're doing it. As in, don't twist so tightly, or use a different type of stick or clip to make it happen. :)

I use the rule - If I put it into my hair, and my hair comes out with it, it never goes back into my hair again. :mad:

spidermom
April 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
If I feel any pulling at all, it's too tight.

Alia
April 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
The bun should feel firm and not wobbly but not so tight you feel your skin stretching. Having your belly button under your chin does sound like a bad sign. :D

eadwine
April 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I usually put the hair up and then frown or something so my skin moves over my head. If I then feel something pulling I grab a knitting needle and gently pull that spot loose. You shouldn't feel it pull in any case.

Flynn
April 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Not so tight that you get a hair-ache when you let it down?

Debra83
April 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM
My coworkers daughter is a hairstylist, and she told me a couple of years ago that any ponytail is damaging and causes breakage. Some heads of hair more (like mine - it was all ragged broken) than others, but it's always there - ESPECIALLY if you do it more than once in the same spot.

A different hairdresser told my best friend that claws are less damaging to your hair than a ponytail holder - be it satin, elastic, "hair-friendly" or whatever.