PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I need advice

vamq
April 7th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I can make this a very long story, but I won't.
The point is, that out of the blue, my hair looks bad lately.

Since a week or 3-4, my hair won't "behave"
I'm a total frizzball, but the waves totally disappeared (my hair looks 1b instead of 1c/2a) I've got a feeling that it is really thinner than before (but that can also be the missing wave volume)
I can't even comb the ends, or they'll break, and my hair is really really dry, while it normally tends to be more on the greasy side.
The skin on my head is also a bit more irritated than usual.

I haven't had these things before.
I am allergic to several shampoo's and conditioners, but that can't be the problem since I've used the shampoo and conditioner I have now for longer, and I never had problems with those.
I tried a really strong shampoo, I clarified with ACV rinse, but it didn't work. I think the ACV rinse actually made things worse. Haven't tried colorless henna, because it tends to make my hair dry.
I haven't suffered from severe stress, haven't been ill, and didn't change my eating or washing pattern. I always have my hair up.

I really hope some people here have a clue of what could be wrong.
I'm almost at hip length, but the problems are so bad that I'm considdering to visit a hairdresser. I would visit one next month anyway, so it's not that bad, but it's not only he ends, but my entire hairlenght being stubborn so the problem wouldn't be solved..:(

Thanks for reading

KajiKodomo
April 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
You didn't mention if you have tried a deep conditioning treatment yet? It could just need moisture. My hair behaves similarly when it does.

vamq
April 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I have some kind of aloë vera deep treatment conditioner I could try.
I have tried that, but that didn't work, because I didn't leave it in for long

Tomorrow is washing day for me
I think I'll put that conditioner in my hair till it's too greasy to touch with a stick, and then make an updo and go with it all day long. Maybe that'll do the trick..

KajiKodomo
April 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I hope it does! :D Let us know what happens.

lizzyjo
April 7th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Maybe the climate is changing where you live. It could be going from humid-->dry or dry-->humid. Maybe it could be allergies if your scalp is irritated.

Anje
April 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
When you shampooed with the strong shampoo (this is the "clarifying" step -- acv doesn't remove most buildup and therefore isn't considered clarifying), did you suds your hair all the way to the ends? I ask because I want to rule out buildup from your conditioner in the form of cones, waxes, etc.

Are the ends really tangly, but not overly split? If so, I can't help thinking you might have some long-term protein buildup, perhaps from your conditioner. I tend to be able to use a protein conditioner for a few weeks with no problems at all, then all of a sudden my hair turns into a tangly nightmare that trimming doesn't help. The ends kink and feel dry and rough, when I get protein buildup, and everything seems kinda fragile and easily broken.

Sound like you?

For me, several successive SMTs with a protein-free conditioner can reverse the problem. You might want to try something along those lines -- heavy on moisture and featuring honey, aloe, and/or glycerine.

kdaniels8811
April 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I was going to suggest an SMT, also. Or, of course, my hairs best friend, catnip tea soaks!

Maelyssa
April 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I know you mentioned that you're allergic to several kinds of shampoo & conditioner but I highly suggest a serious change of routine.
My hair does the same thing on occassion & I find it tends to happen when I use products that build up on my hair. For example I absolutely love the smell of Victoria's Secret hair products but after about a month my hair looks like absolute crud & I can't do anything with it.

Don't do a serious chop job because it won't fix the issue.

I suggest you go to a drug store or supermarket or department store & get a sulfate free shampoo. Not necessarily an organic one but something with a tiny bit more lather.
I'm not sure what conditioner you're using but how about trying Suave Naturals or VO5 (if you're not already doing that) as both a rinse out conditioner then again as a leave in when you get out of the bath.
Try doing that for at least 3 days & see if you notice any improvement.
Play around w/the conditioner but seriously get yourself a sulfate free shampoo. It really changed my hair & scalp for the better.

Let us know what happens!

turtlelover
April 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
My hair got CRAZY when I STOPPED using cones (this is when it was longer). I'm one of those people whose hair LOVES cones, and my hair seems much happier w/ the Pantene and silicone loaded stuff that everyone else seems to hate! Go figure.....

spidermom
April 7th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Try a deep conditioning treatment with your favorite conditioner mixed with honey, then apply heat. I did this today and sat in a dry sauna. Wow - terrific results.

JamieLeigh
April 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I can definitely recommend the honey-conditioner mask! It does awesome things for me. My hair also tends to get a bit frizzy when the winter months are leaving, and the springtime humidity starts to come back. :mad:

vamq
April 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks so much for the advice everybody. I'll see if it helps.:)

To answer a few questions;
-When I clarified, I used the shampoo on my entire length
-I haven't been using shampoo's or conditioners with cones, sulfates or parabens for more than a year. Because that's stuff that makes my scalp itch.

I tend to be able to use a protein conditioner for a few weeks with no problems at all, then all of a sudden my hair turns into a tangly nightmare that trimming doesn't help. The ends kink and feel dry and rough, when I get protein buildup, and everything seems kinda fragile and easily broken.

This sounds like my hair, but I used shampoo on the entire length to be sure it wasn't build up..hmm

Maybe the climate is changing where you live. It could be going from humid-->dry or dry-->humid

Could also be a factor. The weather sure has changed the last few weeks

And I live in Europe, so I don't think stores here sell the Suave Naturals or the VO5-stuff. Is there anyone else from Europe (the Netherlands) who knows another good "brand" ?

Centeredgirl1
April 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Have you looked at your diet and water intake?

Debra83
April 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
CATNIP for sure, Honey mixed with conditioner, and Dove Frizz Control Therapy taming cream works wonders for me.