PDA

View Full Version : Help with Folded Braid Updo

Nightshade
April 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
I few people suggested this style to me after I was griping in my journal about my lack of Ficcare styles. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, so does anyone have instructions? What size Ficcare works for you on this? I have a sinking feeling that my Larges may be too large for this :(

sapphire-o
April 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
I think medium Ficcare would be good, as well as those fakkares. They're usually equivalent to the medium in size. :) Or you can use a flexi-8. I can use a large Ficcarissimo for it as they're a bit tighter than maximas. I generally prefer to use a fakkare (with strong springs) as it's my going to swimming pool style, and I don't want to lose my good stuff.

soleluna
April 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I use a Ficcare large and it holds all day. But it's ALMOST too small for me...

Nightshade
April 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
So... I do an English braid at the nape, then what? I'm getting the feeling part of the error may be with my method. :o

Isilme
April 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
and then you fold the end under the braid and hide it underneath the base of your braid. Your ficcares might be too large, mine almost closes, a large haircoloured elastic might bulk up a bit and make the ficcare work. I hope this makes sense.

aisling
April 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Braid, fold upwards, then to the left down, around the base, up on the right side and hide the ends. Clip a Ficcare over it, I can use a large and don't have that thick hair.

almudena
April 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
I do an English braid at my nape, fold it three times and secure it with a large ficcare. I have a small ficcare that I use for half updos and which works for the braid folded twice. A medium ficcare would work great too.

freznow
April 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
I've tried this before and I think my hair must be too slippery, it always ends up slouching in an uncomfortable pile at my nape.

jel
April 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I make a *French* braid, flip it up on the outside, then fold the ends down in the middle. I insert the Ficcare (I use a large, but I use it for everything, haven't tried a medium) into the scalp hairs behind the braid and clamp the top over - it holds like magic.

ETA: I only tried this with an English braid once, and the Ficcare pulled on my scalp really badly; I couldn't get it to work.

Tapioca
April 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I do an english braid, flip it up, and tuck the ends between the braid and my head. My hair's not quite long enough to do the wrap-around-the-bottom thing. I secure it all with a large Flexi-8, and a few pins to make the wispy ends stay hidden. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll skip the pins. If I'm at work, they're a must.

wendyg
April 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
I saw a very prim-looking, slim, erect postured older lady waiting for the tube where I live yesterday. She was wearing a beautiful silver and abalone slide in the shape of a fan, and when I looked closer I realized it was holding up a folded braid. Her face was very pink and her hair was very white. I cimpliemented her on the slide, and she said she'd had it for 30 years and no longer remembered where she'd gotten it; I thought it looked mexican.

wg

KatKeRo
April 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
I use a large maximas or ficcarissimo.
I make a french braid, flip my braid over my head and fold the braid 4 or 5 times inwards.
French braid because it helps keep the ficcare from slipping down because the ficcare weighs more than my hair.

Wavelength
April 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I tried this style a few times with my large Maximas, but it wasn't very stable. I had much better luck securing it with a Flexi-8.

ETA: With an English braid, that is. I can't French braid for squat. :blushing:

Nightshade
April 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I actually have a wooden slide at home, perhaps I'll try the French braid method with that :) You guys are the best, but you already knew that :D

I'll let you know how it shakes out :)

Chromis
April 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
I make an English braid, flip it up, wrap around the bottom and fold under the part that's already been flipped up and secure with a large Ficcare or a flexible slide. I used to be able to use a medium, but now it falls out with one that small. I just have to grab a little more hair with the large and it works out great. I love easy styles that just look hard!

Nightshade
April 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM
WOOO! :cheer: I got it!

I did a French braid, folded it up, down, around the bottom and tucked the ends, then secured with a wooden slide I'd gotten from the swap box that was too small for much other than halfups. I'm at work, so no pics, but it's comfortable and secure :D

ETA: Heh, now anyone want to tell me how in the nine hells to pin a braided bun so my stupid Amish pins down push out and the lower loop of the bun sag?

Katze
April 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Is this 'do possible for "shorter" hair? I would love to have a nice "bad hair day" braided hairdo that does not take as long as coronet braids. Every time i've tried to "tuck" the (very thin) end of a braid, it both gets tangled in my nape hairs, and falls out or to the side. Maybe my hair is too thin and damaged and short...

Nightshade
April 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I think you'd only need to have hair long enough to go up the back of your head and then tuck the tassel under the top of the braid. You'd need to pin that on top of whatever clip you used, but I imagine it's entirely possible :)

doodlesmart
April 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
For shorter hair you can also do the under tucked french braid which always looks much harder and more complicated than it is. You just french braid from as high up on your head as you can, then once you finish the braid, stick your finger up under the braid next to your scalp and wiggle them around until you've made/found a hollow place. Then you insert the tail of the braid up inside and pin it in a few places. I was able to do this style up to a little past BSL.

For the folded braid: what Nightshade said.

ETA: The under tucked braid was easier and looked better for me at shorter lengths though, and I imagine it would be one that would look/work better for slightly thinner hair as well. You can do it as soon as you have enough length to french braid to the nape.

harpgal
April 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Nightshade, there is a picture of one of these folded braids in my photo album. Perhaps that will help.

khyricat
April 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I do a french braid, then fold it up, then tuck the remains of the (thin) braid down through, I could actually go back down on the outside and leave that exposed but I don't like the thinness of that part of the braid yet.. Then I put one of my metal slides on. Depending on the slide, I put it through the top braid and the original french down to the scalp with 3 layers of braid inside... I can't imagine using a LARGE ficarre for anything but then again I don't even own a medium and my hair is on the thin side.

Amie