PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to use regular conditioners as leave-ins?

Gypsygirl
April 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I'm asking this because they stopped carrying my leave-in conditioner...and now I found a regular conditioner that has kind of the same ingredients in it. I'm wondering if I could leave that in my hair? It has Rosemary, Cedarwood, Sage, Bay Laurel, Vetiver, Clary Sage, Peppermint, Spearmint, Castor Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol from palm oil, and jojoba oil on its list. Do you think its a good idea to try using that as a leave-in on waist-length, highlighted hair?

plainjanegirl
April 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I would.
I have used regular conditioner as a cream leave in or diluted with water in a spray bottle.
What is the conditioner that you are gonna try?

Eireann
April 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I use Nexxus Humectress as a leave in almost every day. I only use a tiny amount or else my hair gets too stringy.

Gothic Lolita
April 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I also use my normal conditioner as a leave in. Acutally it's a mix of two, with a bit aloe concentrate and water, and they're herbal conditioners.

I believe that you can safely use the conditioner. I've also left in commercial stuff and it didn't fry my hair (although some people told me it would). I'd just water it a bit down or it might leaveyour hair stringy and oily in places. I've also seen people diluting they conditioners with another oil, but haven't tried that yet.

Gypsygirl
April 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
What is the conditioner that you are gonna try?

It's an Aromaland one, but I'm not sure which one right now. I'll go and check.

Thanks, girls, I guess I'll give it a try then!

DarkChocolate
April 7th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Yes:) This is what I do.

I wet my hair a little bit with a mister then squeeze a dime size amount of conditioner into my hand and spread it around. My hair loves it. It doesn't get crunchy or anything.

Gypsygirl
April 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Misting is a great idea. I guess that way the conditioner kind of locks the moisture into the hair shaft, right?

spidermom
April 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Yes you can. I always do and have used a variety of conditioners.

Rohele
April 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I use a regular conditioner as a leave in too - I dilute it with distillled water, add some jojoba oil and use it in my mister bottle.

mahoganyhorizon
April 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I can't do this....my scalp does not like it!! And neither does my hair! It tends to get gummy and greasy and weighed down, but this could be because my strands are fine. I think it would be OK to do on a regular basis, and I do it from time to time if I can wash that VERY next day, because my scalp and hair likes to revolt when I do this!

Atalaya05
April 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I second the Nexxus Humectress - my hair seems to really like it and it doesn't cause too much buildup (for me). If a regular conditioner doesn't work out for you, I'd try that next.

Gypsygirl
April 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks so much, everyone! You guys are so nice!

Altocumulus
April 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I use a pea-sized dab of my regular conditioner (cone free, as cones make my hair sticky) mixed with a roughly equal amount of jojoba oil as a leave-in. I usually "scrunch" it in starting from the ends and working upward, so that the ends get the most and the roots almost none.

ETA I do this when my hair is wet after a shower.

Tap Dancer
April 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM
It's worth a try. :)

purplebubba
April 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I make water and conditioner sprays all the time and use them. Been using them for about 5 years.

marajade
April 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm asking this because they stopped carrying my leave-in conditioner...and now I found a regular conditioner that has kind of the same ingredients in it. I'm wondering if I could leave that in my hair? It has Rosemary, Cedarwood, Sage, Bay Laurel, Vetiver, Clary Sage, Peppermint, Spearmint, Castor Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol from palm oil, and jojoba oil on its list. Do you think its a good idea to try using that as a leave-in on waist-length, highlighted hair?

Gypsygirl- I don't think my hair would look half as good if I didn't use a daily leave in from a commercial conditioner- I use a little bit of Burt Bee's More Moisture conditioner and a smidge of olive oil. That's why I found out my hair really likes. In winter I have to step it up with the moisture even more. I have other leave ins and meant to be "leave ins" but I just keep coming back to the above mentioned routine because its just what my hair likes. :D:)

Unnamed
April 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I do. Just about every wash for probably a good year or more I've put about a pea-sized drop (been using Sally's generic of the Biolage Conditioning Balm) on still wet-but-not-dripping hair, then about 5-8 drops of jojoba oil on after that (can't do them at the same time, and it has to be on wet hair). I apply the conditioner and oil the same way--spreading it on my hands then running my hands down/through the length.

But, yep, a regular conditioner as a leave-in is just fine. Only concerns would be if the conditioner is too heavy (diluting may fix this, though) or perhaps if it has cones in it (and that one depends on your hair--my hair gets dry with a cone conditioner, but others might not have issues).

GlassEyes
April 7th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I do everyday. : D

Nyghtingale
April 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I use a watered down version.

Maelyssa
April 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Absolutely!
In fact I've been doing it for years with everything from Suave & VO5 to coney Herbal Essences to the somwhat natural yet coney David Babaii for WildAid.

And I'm another one who likes to add a squeeze into my water bottle & have nice conditioning mister.
My three curly headed daughters hair especially loves this. It's kept them from using any type of hair product for years.
In fact I've had other parents of biracial children come up to us in stores begging me to tell them the secret product I use on the girls hair & all I tell them is to use Suave or VO5 as a leave in & work it through well & amazing well defined curls!

s_tresses
April 7th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I did this today with V05 conditioner, water and vatika oil. It tamed the hair a bit and acts somewhat like mousse but without the I-think-I-have-a-ton-of-product-in-my-hair kinda feel.

Gypsygirl
April 8th, 2009, 05:45 AM
OK... I just tried it. My hair is still wet, but it feels ok! We'll see what's going happen. :cheese:

purplebubba
April 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
OK... I just tried it. My hair is still wet, but it feels ok! We'll see what's going happen. :cheese:

Keep in mind that trying these mixes is just like trying them the regular way. Some may work and some may not and sometimes you'll find a good one and they'll change or get rid of it. So experiment and have fun and don't get frustrated if the first few don't work. You can also vary the amount of water to conditioner.

Gypsygirl
April 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks Purplebubba and everyone!

I'm totally happy with my hair today! It's all nice and soft- and no static! Yay!

Altocumulus
April 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm glad it worked for you!

Gypsygirl
April 9th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks! :)

going gray
April 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks ladies I'm going to give it a try, can always find excellent advise here.

RoseRedDead
April 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I shall have to try this... I've used Trader Joe's Nourish Spa before but it has protein in it, and I have since learned that my hair is not friendly towards such an ingredient...

Gypsygirl
April 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I can highly recommend it by now. My hair is very happy.