PDA

View Full Version : Help? (Frizz, BBBs, Hair Routine...ah!) Is my hair weird?

GrowlingTurtlez
April 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Okay, so I have about 3a curly hair and quite a lot of it. I tried CO/curlygirl for several months, and though it worked in the beginning, gradually my hair just looked greasier and greasier. I tried doing the occasional shampoo (non-sulfate), clarifying with baking soda, etc etc...nothing worked!

Now I'm trying shampoo bars, washing 2-3 times a week, following each wash with a ACV rinse and applying coconut oil to the ends. That's been going okay, but now I'm getting crazy frizz right after I wash!!! :(

So, here's some of my problems: while my hair is very curly, it's not dry or coarse, and actually tends to get oily quickly (hence no CO or curlygirl). BUT! Now it's frizzy right after I wash it with shampoo bars. I recently started using a BBB because I HATE not brushing my hair and it looks terrible if I just let it air dry. I only brush it about once a day too.

Could the frizz be from hair that's breaking on the top and curling up? Or is my washing routine not right? I'm very low maintenance on my hair and want a routine where my curly hair isn't crazy oily, but isn't going to frizz up. Is there a middle ground??:confused:

Help! (I know pics would help but I'm at work, so...)

plainjanegirl
April 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Do you use products with cones? Some people's hair needs the shampoo and or conditioner with cones. Have you tried using some oil on the hair when it is still wet or maybe even some aloe?

Roseate
April 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
My hair usually frizzes/puffs up on the day I wash too. I just wash it less... I only do it once a week, so I only have one frizzy day a week as long as I keep it well moisturized. Is your hair too oily to cut down on washing?

If the oil is mostly at your scalp, maybe you could try CWC with the bars, and pretty much just wash the scalp, so that your length is more moisturized, a little weighed down, and less likely to spring up.

spidermom
April 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Brushing breaks up the curl pattern and creates a lot of frizz. I don't think there's a way around it. You could try limiting brushing to just before you wash your hair.

Have you tried curl-enhancing products as leave-ins? If I want the few curls I have to stay formed, I have to use some kind of styling creme. I comb it through while my hair is wet and then keep my hands away from my hair and get pretty spirals.

GrowlingTurtlez
April 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Do you use products with cones? Some people's hair needs the shampoo and or conditioner with cones. Have you tried using some oil on the hair when it is still wet or maybe even some aloe?
I've avoided cones because of the bad rap, but I have tried oiling the length. I get nervous about oiling the crown because it gets greasy very fast and my scalp starts to itch like crazy.

GrowlingTurtlez
April 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Brushing breaks up the curl pattern and creates a lot of frizz. I don't think there's a way around it. You could try limiting brushing to just before you wash your hair.

Have you tried curl-enhancing products as leave-ins? If I want the few curls I have to stay formed, I have to use some kind of styling creme. I comb it through while my hair is wet and then keep my hands away from my hair and get pretty spirals.
I actually have never tried curl enhancing leave-ins, because I'M leery the chemicals. Do you know of any that are more natural?
Yeah, I've also been trying to cut back on touching my hair, because I seem to have developed a nervous habit of CONSTANTLY fiddling with it! The other thing is that I live in New England right now and I like to wear hats, so that just automatically musses it up

GrowlingTurtlez
April 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
My hair usually frizzes/puffs up on the day I wash too. I just wash it less... I only do it once a week, so I only have one frizzy day a week as long as I keep it well moisturized. Is your hair too oily to cut down on washing?

If the oil is mostly at your scalp, maybe you could try CWC with the bars, and pretty much just wash the scalp, so that your length is more moisturized, a little weighed down, and less likely to spring up.
Hmmm...it's the oiliest at the scalp, but gets pretty oily all over. That's a good idea though of conditioning it regardless. I think with the shampoo bars I was entranced with the idea of needing only one hair wash product that wouldn't leave it oily or too dry.

akurah
April 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I actually have never tried curl enhancing leave-ins, because I'M leery the chemicals. Do you know of any that are more natural?
Yeah, I've also been trying to cut back on touching my hair, because I seem to have developed a nervous habit of CONSTANTLY fiddling with it! The other thing is that I live in New England right now and I like to wear hats, so that just automatically musses it up

Pssst... I have a secret for you!

Water is a chemical.

To be leery of chemicals for the sake of a "chemical" being "unnatural" is absurd. :twocents:

GrowlingTurtlez
April 7th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Oh, you know what I mean when I say chemicals...stuff that really would be a bad idea to put on your hair.

Pegasus Marsters
April 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
You're using a brush on curly hair. That's why you have frizz. You should only be using a wide toothed comb, or you're going to have frizz. Brushes will create the frizz. Either brush, and have frizz, or don't brush, and prevent the frizz. You cannot brush curly hair and not have frizz.

GlassEyes
April 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
You're using a brush on curly hair. That's why you have frizz. You should only be using a wide toothed comb, or you're going to have frizz. Brushes will create the frizz. Either brush, and have frizz, or don't brush, and prevent the frizz. You cannot brush curly hair and not have frizz.

Or comb, really, unless it's wet. Eve better if it's slathered in conditioner, regardless of CO/CG status or no.

If you want something 'natural', you could try giovanni products. You don't necessarily NEED things that are specifically curl-enhancing, just stuff that provides moisture and definition (a cheap gel would work- I use L.A. Looks).

I get the best result from Unnatural Suave Naturals, Gel, and a dab of oil. :shrug:

mugglemomof3
April 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I've got 2c on top and 3a underneath. I can't use a BBB unless it's like Dry Day 4 or later and I've used alot of oils. Even then it makes my hair frizzy.

I only use a wide-toothed comb in the shower with conditioner, and then my fingers very gently when dry. VERY gently.

I've had to experiment with tons of different products over the years to find which ones gave me slip but not crunchy (which turns to frizz later). Not much out there besides shea butter and oils and the like.

HTH a little.

Love your avatar, btw!

GrowlingTurtlez
April 8th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I've got 2c on top and 3a underneath. I can't use a BBB unless it's like Dry Day 4 or later and I've used alot of oils. Even then it makes my hair frizzy.

I only use a wide-toothed comb in the shower with conditioner, and then my fingers very gently when dry. VERY gently.

I've had to experiment with tons of different products over the years to find which ones gave me slip but not crunchy (which turns to frizz later). Not much out there besides shea butter and oils and the like.

HTH a little.

Love your avatar, btw!
Hmmm...I'll definitely have to try these. Thanks!

GrowlingTurtlez
April 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Pssst... I have a secret for you!

Water is a chemical.

To be leery of chemicals for the sake of a "chemical" being "unnatural" is absurd. :twocents:
Here's my 2 cents:

When people are asking for advice, even if you deem it a stupid question not worthy of your exacting standards...being smug and patronizing is not the way to go.

Thanks anyway.