PDA

View Full Version : widows' peaks?

squiggyflop
April 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
does anyone else have one??
how do you part your hair?? (if you have one)
can i see your widows peak??
i cant part my hair in the center because my widows peak refuses to be split in half..i always have to part my hair just to the side of it... makes pigtails look strange.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/mickeymouseapril3rd2008-1.jpg

eadwine
April 3rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
I have one. A small one though, but it is there :)

lora410
April 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I have one as well. Groing up my hair part was always in the center, but re-trained it yrs ago to part on the side.

lulabelle
April 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
I have one too! I part my hair in the middle and I have blunt cut bangs. The widow's peak makes this horrible cowlick in my bangs that I have to fight with heat and product every day (only in the bangs! The rest of my hair gets no heat). Mine doesn't seem to mind being split in half, it's a teensy bit to one side but not too noticeable.

Anje
April 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I don't have one, but I've often seen girls in movies (typically British ones, Box of Delights comes to mind) who have pigtails or two braid styles with a deep side part in front, which goes on a diagonal or simply zigs over to the middle near the crown, so the back is split evenly. It's quite flattering, as side parts usually are, and it seems to work well.

atlantaz3
April 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Don't have one here - I think it makes a cute heart shaped face. I've always wondered if some of the actresses pluck their hair line to have a widow's peak. I just have a funky cowlick in the front that it doesn't matter where I part my hair within an hour it will be where it wants.

jesamyn
April 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
atlantaz3, I have the same issue. You can see it in pictures from when I was a young child too. My bangs always split in exactly the same place, and it doesn't matter what I do. Now I just wear them long and side-swept, and it looks like it's meant to be that way. :)

HairColoredHair
April 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I have a small one... :) I usually just force it to part.

daeana
April 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
i have a small one. my hair naturally parts on the left. i just leave the part on top where it is, and if i'm doing side-by-side styles, part down the middle in the back.

Rain
April 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I have a little tiny one. I usually part my hair on the side and comb it in such a way to hide it. I like widow's peaks but mine is not very well defined. It tends to look messy.

My daughter has a better one. She will either pull all her hair straight back or part it on the side in a way that shows it off.

Shanarana
April 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
I don't wear a part, so all my "flaws" get hidden. ;) You can see how I wear my hair in my profile picture. Wearing it like this also helps me not to have to color as often, and hides nicely the "11" between my brows.

Islandgrrl
April 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
I have a fairly strong widow's peak. My hair does not EVER part directly in the middle. I have a cowlick right above my right eye and that's where the part naturally happens. Fringe is a real problem for me - the direction of growth of the widow's peak-cowlick makes it impossible for fringe to fall correctly unless I product it to within an inch of its life.

tuuli
April 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I would love to have a widows peak, they look nicely timeless and elegant. :)

Stagecoach
April 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have one... kinda small, but noticable if I pull my hair back. I part mine on the side.

filiadeluna
April 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I have a rounded widow's peak. It's really weird, and annoying. It's not that it comes out so far in the middle, but on the sides it goes back *in* really far.

I feel like I'm either missing hair on the sides, or have too much extra right there. It's not obvious when my hair is down, but moreso when it's up. But it's not anything "wrong" with my hair even though it feels like it. My hair has always been that way.

Below is the best photo I can find on my computer at the moment to show it, and it's still not great. It's a very old photo from when I was like 10 years old (I am 25 now), though, LOL. Most pictures in the last several years I've taken with my hair up, so it wouldn't show much.

If you look to the upper right side of my head (from *your* point-of-view), you can see how it goes back.

http://i28.tinypic.com/14ufhhh.gif

Ugh. :(

Anyway, I generally part it a little right-of-center. I *can* part it right in the center, but there are usually one or two tiny places (especially in the front) that are stubborn and will try to go back to the side.

Kiraela
April 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
I've got a fairly strong widows peak, which sometimes makes me look vampiric in the right light, with the right makeup... LOL. My hair doesn't have a straight part, it goes down the center and curves slightly to the left(my left, not viewing left) because the peak refuses to be split. If I try to split it, both sides stick up like antennae or something. This is just a quick pic. with my hair pulled back in a pony tail.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=703&pictureid=7482

cuddledumplin
April 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
I have a slight one too. I don't normally part my hair, but I can part it down the middle.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/cuddledumplin/DSCF3933m.jpg

intothemist1999
April 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I sort of have one. I DO part it off-centre, but the drawback is, the side that has less hair looks a bit like it's a receding hairline :shrug: That's my biggest complaint about my hair.

zelah
April 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have one. My hair naturally parts right down the middle, but because of a cowlick on the left side, the hair on the left always goes away from my face and the hair on the right goes down into my face. It makes it look very uneven and I don't like it, so for the past couple years I have taken to parting my hair on the left over the cowlick, and doing my best to hide the peak. It looks silly with this part if it's not hidden.

LifeisAdventure
April 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have one like filiadeluna, rounded and not pronounced in the front but significantly deep gaps on the sides... are we sure this is normal? I've had that shape to my hairline my whole life but it kind of makes me self-conscious. There are a few fine, blond baby hairs there (which give about zero coverage) but not a lot of growth.

That being said, I've always been able to part down the middle no problem, my hair just falls that way. Other parts look funny because of the gaps! :P

doodlesmart
April 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
I have a small widows peak, here is how I part mine. You can see that it's parted just to the side of the widows' peak here.

http://web.jfs3.com/images/Pictures/HairPics/widowpart.jpg

filiadeluna
April 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
I have one like filiadeluna, rounded and not pronounced in the front but significantly deep gaps on the sides... are we sure this is normal? I've had that shape to my hairline my whole life but it kind of makes me self-conscious. There are a few fine, blond baby hairs there (which give about zero coverage) but not a lot of growth.

That being said, I've always been able to part down the middle no problem, my hair just falls that way. Other parts look funny because of the gaps! :P

And here I thought I was the only one! I also have baby-fine, golden blonde hairs that grow there, yet the rest of my hair (when the roots grow in) appears to be dark reddish brown. :shrug:

That's why I hate the look of my hair pulled back... it looks like I'm "missing" hair on the sides and it's just weird.

jessie58
April 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
I wear my hair slightly off center.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/Longhaircommunity07and08/widowspeak.jpg

Delilah
April 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Mine is fairly small but also impossible to part in the middle of

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/geekgoddess777/jess.jpg

DolphinPrincess
April 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Yes, I have a very big widows peak. I part my hair to the side, as well as keep side-swept bangs. My profile picture *kind of* shows this.

Blueglass
April 3rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have always had a very deep very obvious window peak. I find it very attractive. I can part in the middle if I like, but a hairdresser once told me it looked better parted on the side. As a child, I always parted in the middle.

Kimberly
April 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I have one, though it's smaller than it used to be. Sometimes I part it (almost) down the middle or on the side . . . I just see what my hair wants to do that day. I've always really liked widow's peaks and the way hair arches up from one, so I'm glad I have it and grew out my bangs.

Curlsgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I don't have one but my best friend does and she doesn't part, just combs it straight back. I LOVE IT! I would love to have one!

squiggyflop
April 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I wear my hair slightly off center.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/Longhaircommunity07and08/widowspeak.jpg
you have about the same hairline as my mom... same color hair too...

lora410
April 3rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
ok ok heres mine
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/loralie1981/l_54758196c90dba588ecafddff2ded1ba.jpg

HaiirPEACE
April 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
i hate mine so much. its kind of big so i always part my hair so my bangs cover it. i was considering laser removal because ever since i was like people made fun of me for it. plus i can't wear my bangs back like other girls because it looks stupid

HaiirPEACE
April 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
i hate mine so much. its kind of big so i always part my hair so my bangs cover it. i was considering laser removal because ever since i was a kid people made fun of me for it. plus i can't wear my bangs back like other girls because it looks stupid

HaiirPEACE
April 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
blah double post sorry i don't know how to delete them

intothemist1999
April 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM

That's me exactly! :D On the old board there was a thread about those "gaps" and there was an actual NAME for them!! :shocked: Who knew!

I wish I could wear my hair pulled back, but can't because of those gaps.

zelah
April 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
LifeisAdventure I agree with what you said about the gaps.. if it wasn't for the little whispies in the cowlick, I would look like I was balding every time I parted my hair on the side!

ilovelonghair
April 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
It's not that it comes out so far in the middle, but on the sides it goes back *in* really far.

My sides have that too. There is hair, but it is thinner than the rest or maybe the hair is finer, it won't grow much either. It doesn't show though. But I have a widows peak. And it doesn't like to be parted! I can only do a parting on the right, but sometimes I can do one the left if I really fight with it :D

Why on earth is it called a widows peak? And what is a cow lick?

jessie58
April 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
you have about the same hairline as my mom... same color hair too...

Squiggyflop, it's me Mom.:D

zelah
April 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
ilovelonghair -- not sure why it's called a widow's peak, but a cowlick is when the hair swirls naturally. The best pic I could find depicting it has a double cowlick (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/d/d1/170px-Double_cowlick.jpg). The reason it's called a cowlick is because that is apparently how a cow will lick something: in a circle! At least that's what I was told as a kid...

longhairedfairy
April 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
I don't have one, but I always thought they looked pretty and exotic.

LifeisAdventure
April 4th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks for letting us know we're not alone, intothemist1999 and zelah! Any chance of digging up that article and finding the name of... whatever it is? And really, is this normal or are we all doing something to our hair that makes it grow this way? Hormones? Chemicals? Dryness? Breakage? Can we make hair grow into the gaps? Will it get worse over time? Is it totally non-problematic? Now I can't stop thinking about it, rawr!

Altocumulus
April 4th, 2008, 06:45 AM
My hairline looks just like yours, except that I part to the left of the widow's peak instead of the right.

squiggyflop
April 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Squiggyflop, it's me Mom.:D
hi mom! i didnt know you moved to canada.... lol;)

sweetbluesky
April 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I have one too, I don't fight it! I just do zig zag part for french braid pigtails and the other times, I just part on the side, side parts flatter heart shaped faces! :-)

Arashi
April 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I have a slight one that I only discovered recently- my hair is so naturally light that in contrast to my dyed hair, I couldn't see it. Recently I unintentionally dyed it and was very happy to discover it's existence..! Though my light roots have grown out 1/4th an inch so it's gone again. I'll have to remember, for when I do my first henna/indigo soon, to make sure the little thing gets colored. xD

Oh, and I part my hair down the middle, which results in a little cowlick but I don't mind it at all.

kissedbyfyre
April 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I have one, I never noticed it until a hairdresser pointed it out to me. I don't exactly obsess over my hairline. The part falls naturally a bit to the left hand side or right hand side depending.

This is how it typically looks, sorry for the crappy webcam quality:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/laughingsatyr/Me/Picture19.jpg

Nat242
April 4th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I have one! When I was parting in the centre, I would part slightly to one side, just automatically.

Now I have bangs, and I side-part, so it's not noticeable...I think they're cute and kind of dramatic! If I didn't have such an angular face I'd pull my hair straight back and show it off!

--Natalie

ETA: Sorry about the web cam photo, also, my hair is full of lemon juice, oil, conditioner and cinnamon...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee68/trippywallpaper/widowspeak.jpg

ilovelonghair
April 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
ilovelonghair -- not sure why it's called a widow's peak, but a cowlick is when the hair swirls naturally. The best pic I could find depicting it has a double cowlick (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/d/d1/170px-Double_cowlick.jpg). The reason it's called a cowlick is because that is apparently how a cow will lick something: in a circle! At least that's what I was told as a kid...

And all this time whenever I saw the word cowlick on this board I thought people meant a bald spot with that!

spidermom
April 5th, 2008, 10:28 PM
No, but I want one.

Finoriel
April 6th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I have one too. I donīt obsess over it though, thatīs just how my hairline is... disliking it does not help, so I made my peace with the funny triangle on my forehead some years ago.
Widowsīpeak and big cowlick over my right eye force my hair to a deep side part. Itīs starting, depending on itīs own mood :p, in one line with the middle of my left eye or even more further left and ends on the crown (highest point) of my head. I like it that way, thatīs how it looked for years and without part, with a temporary part in the middle or on the other side (just tried because I was curious how it would look) I almost donīt look like myself.
And it will not stay there anyway, every time I experimented my part went back to itīs original place magically, within a half hour.

jojo
April 6th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I have a slight one that I only discovered recently- my hair is so naturally light that in contrast to my dyed hair, I couldn't see it. Recently I unintentionally dyed it and was very happy to discover it's existence..! Though my light roots have grown out 1/4th an inch so it's gone again. I'll have to remember, for when I do my first henna/indigo soon, to make sure the little thing gets colored. xD

Oh, and I part my hair down the middle, which results in a little cowlick but I don't mind it at all.

same here, my parting is just off centre due to the widows peak but i have a little cow lick going on too, i do alternate my parting though depending on my mood!:cheese:

AnimaSola3o4
November 15th, 2008, 03:43 AM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/AnimaSola3o4/l_81f28ffc1101f5cb01a1dac66ea7503e.jpg

Sure do!

Arctic
November 15th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Sure do!

Animasola, that's so good picture! I love the flowers in your hair!

I have a small one myself. I can part how ever I want that day, my hair doesn't mind.

longinthehair
November 15th, 2008, 05:56 AM
All in the attitude. Growing up, my mother always told me it was especially beautiful to have a 'widow's peak.' She thought it was wonderful! (Although it was a pain when the trend in my teens was very much a middle part!) But I mostly have learned over the years to embrace my widow's peak and use the height effect it gives to the most advantage. So my humble advice is "Embrace your glorious widow peaks!"

Ryanne
November 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I don't have one, but I want one too.

LutraLutra
November 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yup, I'm peaky 'n' proud. For me it makes a nice, interesting feature to balance out my fullsome eyebrows. :D

Forest
November 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I have one and I can part in the middle but it is easier and looks better to part to one side.

I thought everyone's hair line was like that until I read about widow's peak here at LHC. Unfortunately, no that I have realised this I would prefer not to have one! :mad:

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yup, mine can be seen in my profile pic, sort of, the hairline hairs cover it a bit.

As you can see, I part my hair in the opposite direction from my natural part.

sneakybea
November 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I have an itty bitty one, which didn't show much even before I got my bangs. I think widows' peaks can look nice on some people, but on me it just looks like an imperfect hairline.

~GypsyCurls~
November 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I have one, I couldn't find any front facing photos to show you though. I think it has kinda (eeek!) thinned out over the years, I usually just part my hair in the from and since it's curly it may not be as noticeable. I actually with it was a lil' thicker though, 'cause it looks like my part is thinning overall...

~GypsyCurls~
November 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
AnimaSola3o4, you and your hair are gorgeous! I'd do anything to have naturally red hair...

:)

manderly
November 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Well I've got a nice crooked one :D

I always parted it slightly off-center. now I have bangs.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1511.jpg

AnimaSola3o4
November 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Aww thanks for the compliments guys!!

And its interesting actually, I've always been a middle parter. I find the widows peak just helps me to part my hair right in the middle lol. Now that I have bangs it doesnt matter as much where I part my hair though. It does what it wants LOL.

jivete
November 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I have a pretty hefty one. I just part to one side. It naturally likes the right.
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/widow_peak.jpg

Er, sorry for the shiny forehead. It was late, at a party...

Lissa
November 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I have one and I don't like it much. I ususally just avoid pulling my hair straight back. Never tried parting it in the middle, actually.

MandaMom2Three
November 17th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I have one! My hair likes to part in the center but I fight it. I read a long time ago that a side part accents your eyes and a center part accents your nose. Well my big honkin', wicked witch of the westesque nose doesn't need any attention drawn to it :D

Sunny
November 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM
A very tiny, thin one. My hair naturally parts in the center; I switched to a left-side part several years ago; and I've always worn bangs. So it hasn't mattered much, except when I DO need to part the bangs in the center for a historical style like this. Then it's a little tricky. It's too thin to part neatly and too noticeable to do it casually.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Beauty/DSC00866.jpg

redtea
November 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
My mom has a widows peak and my dad doesn't, so I have a really sparse widows peak - basically, a sparse amount of hairs in the shape of a widows peak. I really wish it would fill out. It's grown a few new hairs since I stopped using chemical colors, but I don't really think it qualifies as a real widows peak, which I wish I had!

Bubbleguppy
November 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I have one, however I don't have a picture at the moment. Somehow I've always been able to have my part in the middle though, which I guess it weird :) It is hard having bangs with it now however. When I was younger I had perfect straight down bangs, but then in my freshmen year of high school I grew them out, and now my bangs don't like to stay where they should, and go to either side of my head.

JessTheMess
November 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm envious lol. I always wanted a widow's peak :(

MadHatter
November 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm another one with 'gaps'. The gap on the left is more pronounced than the one on the right.
Oh, and I do have a widow's peak. My hair likes to part a bit to the left.
I seem to remember a jr high teacher telling us that the presence or absence of a widow's peak was a dominant/recessive trait. Does anyone know?

1nuitblanche
November 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Widow's peak is dominant, as far as I can remember from grade 11 biology. The hairs right by my hairline are too fine to tell whether I have one or not--every now and then, I think I almost have one and I get really excited, then it disappears and I'm left with my slightly uneven hairline (I have a cowlick on the left "corner", so it tends to naturally part on the left).

Arcana
November 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I have one too! I never really thought about it before, but I do, it's quite small and doesn't really disturb the way my hair falls at all.

faeflame
June 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks for letting us know we're not alone, intothemist1999 and zelah! Any chance of digging up that article and finding the name of... whatever it is? And really, is this normal or are we all doing something to our hair that makes it grow this way? Hormones? Chemicals? Dryness? Breakage? Can we make hair grow into the gaps? Will it get worse over time? Is it totally non-problematic? Now I can't stop thinking about it, rawr!

I have a widow's peak and the 'gaps' also. Has anyone had any luck finding the gap article and what they are called? I've been stressing out thinking my hair is receding because the gaps look so obvious in updos!!

Fractalsofhair
June 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I sorta have one. I have one with the medium light blonde hairs, and then I have hairs with a terminal length of about 5 inches that go down to about my forehead that are white and whispy. They're annoying, so I trim the longest ones, and they gradually reduce in length till they become my eyebrows! Looks odd, but not noticeable, I wasn't even aware of most of them until recently. They're a genetic trait, so it's not something we can create.

HoneyBeeMissy
June 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have a widow's peak! I love mine, it complements my face quite well:D

It is a dominant trait but I do remember that in 7th grade science when we were learning about this sort of thing I was the only one who had one and so was made an example. Which of course completely embarressed me....but I got over it:p

kdaniels8811
June 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I am envious of you with widow's peaks, I think they are beautiful! Why is it we always want what we do not have??? Smile!

redneckprincess
June 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I do, but (and maybe thats why) I keep bangs. sorry no pics (just yet)

mira-chan
June 18th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I have one and my hair parts just a bit off center toward the front. wither to the left or right of the peak.

wahmof9
June 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I have one too and have the same problem with hair parting. I just cut a bang a few weeks ago though. I always thought of it as a nuisance.

MimiKeki
June 19th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I have one, and since I came to LHC, it's started to fill in more, becoming deeper. I like it alot.
It's funny, 'cause when I was a little girl, I loved the fact that Dracula had one too. I felt I could relate. I always noticed that Mickey Mouse is also styling one :P

Oh, and my hair parts to the side naturally. It never seems to want to part in the middle, and it wouldn't suit me anyway.

Heavenly Locks
June 19th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I have one :) I wear thick bangs so no one can see it. When I didn't wear bangs i parted it on the side most of the time...

drquartz1970
June 19th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I too have a small widow's peak but my hair naturally parts a bit off centre to the left. Never thought anything of it as having very thick hair hids it effortlessly.

smerrie
June 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I don't have one, but I've often seen girls in movies (typically British ones, Box of Delights comes to mind) who have pigtails or two braid styles with a deep side part in front, which goes on a diagonal or simply zigs over to the middle near the crown, so the back is split evenly. It's quite flattering, as side parts usually are, and it seems to work well.

i've done this before, and i actually like it much better than a part down the middle!
of course, i already look young for my age though, so i try to avoid pigtails :p
but its a cute style, with the side part

to the original poster :) I don't have one, but my mom does! she hides hers with bangs, and no one would ever know.. i don't think she has a cowlick of any sort, but she does do a side part