View Full Version : They have finally caught on to us!

PrliamntofRooks
April 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM
http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2007/09/39-new-hair-ideas?mbid=msn#slide=1

With a few exceptions it looks like someone has been lurking some our our picks and decided we aren't so "out of fashion" after all.:D

Now if they could just learn to stop pushing flat irons an teasing combs....:rolleyes:

longhairedfairy
April 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM
And they call this stuff new?:rolleyes:

marialena
April 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Ha ha.. you are absolutely right longhairedfairy.. Do they call this stuff new??
( have you noticed that fashion makers and stylists lack of new ideas?? They just recycle the same and the same things.. )

nueinsel
April 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Yeah, though I bet if you looked through old issues of Glamour, you'd find very similar styles popping up over the decades. It won't be long before they become unfashionable again, and then fashionable, and then unfashionable, with slight changes each time around.

earthdancer
April 7th, 2009, 07:40 AM
A bun is new? I can't wrap my mind around that one!

JamieLeigh
April 7th, 2009, 07:43 AM
LOL, this stuff is STILL new to me! :p Before last year, all I could do was French braid or braided bun, and I've had long hair all of my life. So I can understand how people haven't heard of this stuff, even if it isn't "new". The media is good like that. :rolleyes:

LovingLife
April 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Yay! Forward to the LHC revolution!

LovingLife
April 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM
And they're calling them NEW!

Carolyn
April 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Everything old is new again :shrug: Styles come and go.

wintersun99
April 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Everything old is new again :shrug: Styles come and go.

Yep. Was shopping with my mama this weekend and she refused to buy anything because all the styles reminded her of the '70's. :p

Spike
April 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Now, when they trade hair gel and "shine serum" for EVOO and coconut oil, THEN we'll know they've been listening . . .

LHGypsyRose
April 7th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Well..new or not, Im glad to see that hair buns are (for the time being) considered "in style". Now they just need to mention the LHC as being the place to go to learn these "new" stlyes.:D

embee
April 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Huh. I much *much* prefer what I see here on LHC You did notice all that stuff to buy - shine serum indeed, and a flatiron as well, because (I guess) the hair itself is so destroyed it can't look ok on its own.... How about that "tease like crazy" style. sigh....

harpyangel
April 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
"First, tease hair like crazy. Now take a section, pull it to the back of your head, roll under so it poufs up and pin. Do your whole head, smooth with a brush, add hairspray and slip on a thin band."

*runs away screaming*
harpyangel xxx

enfys
April 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
They weren't 39 ideas, there were about 7 with loads of pictures for each.

And they weren't new.

Bah. Damage central too. Tease like crazy?!!!!

LittleOrca
April 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Yay! Forward to the LHC revolution!

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

But yeah, they want all these women to have long hair now since it's the in thing after short being the in thing? Once the women get their hair long, they will just make them cut it all off. Makes me glad I dont listen to fashion magazines and I wont listen to them in the future... unless suddenly mermaid tails are the "in" thing. :lol:

florenonite
April 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Sometimes I look at magazines for style ideas, and then realise why I do so so rarely: I can't follow their instructions for styles! Sometimes I'll try and copy a style in a hair-friendly way (they have "hair headbands" on this link, for instance, so I can try that without any products) but often I'm just at a loss.

ETA: They also don't know what a French twist is :rolleyes:

KajiKodomo
April 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Now, when they trade hair gel and "shine serum" for EVOO and coconut oil, THEN we'll know they've been listening . . .

Exactly! :D

Gumball
April 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
A bun is new? I can't wrap my mind around that one!

I can't wrap my hair around that one! Har... Har... :p

longhairedfairy
April 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Ha ha.. you are absolutely right longhairedfairy.. Do they call this stuff new??
( have you noticed that fashion makers and stylists lack of new ideas?? They just recycle the same and the same things.. )

Lol. Yes, it's the same thing that was used a few years/decades ago, but they always call it new.:p

RancheroTheBee
April 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM

I heard this interesting theory that magazines like Cosmo and Glamour are not typically read by their target audience. Instead, it's usually 16-25 year olds buying it. Every few years or so, you can see repeat articles. The theory is that since their audience grows out of the magazine, the information can be cyclical without too many people noticing.

viking_quest
April 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I can't believe they called not just the bun, but the ponytail new.

AmandaPanda
April 7th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I can't believe they called not just the bun, but the ponytail new.

...and they suggest straightening it (ponytail) w/ a flat iron to give it a sleek look! Mine is straight enough thankyouverymuch!

GlennaGirl
April 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I liked the hair headbands.

GlennaGirl
April 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I heard this interesting theory that magazines like Cosmo and Glamour are not typically read by their target audience. Instead, it's usually 16-25 year olds buying it. Every few years or so, you can see repeat articles. The theory is that since their audience grows out of the magazine, the information can be cyclical without too many people noticing.

This is very true, and here's another "motivator" for magazines (I've worked for one): they're geared toward their advertisers MORE than to their target audience. The advertisers bring in the big, all-at-once money the magazine needs to keep running, so certain products, accessories, etc. will be deemed "fashionable" if an advertiser has just come out with a matching product or accessory.

That said, it is fun to look through these things. And some of the styles are new to some of us. I haven't tried the hair headband (which I guess is a half-crown braid). I wouldn't have thought of it. It's just mindless good fun, basically.

Nyghtingale
April 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I aways knew I was a fashionista.

Alun
April 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Yep. Was shopping with my mama this weekend and she refused to buy anything because all the styles reminded her of the '70's. :p

I liked '70s fashions!

Elenna
April 8th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Instead of what we call buns, they call ballerina buns! :taz:

Gothic Lolita
April 8th, 2009, 02:33 AM
For the first time in my life, I'm a trendsetter! Ok, and before that I was simply out of fashion. That's a start!

When i was younger I never threw old magazines away and looked at them after a while. After two years you could notice the same hair and make-up trends popping up again. A few weeks ago I had a new one and it said that braided bun were really new and the idea would "break down old conventions". Well, if they say so, I won't bother.

But at least we aren't desperate to get our hair long now for one summer to be able to wear our hair like that. One summer as a fashion victim and then I can stay as out-of-fashion as I like to until it pops up again!

practikalmagik
April 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM
...and they suggest straightening it (ponytail) w/ a flat iron to give it a sleek look! Mine is straight enough thankyouverymuch!

But it is not poker-straight and burnt to a crisp, therefore whip out those straighteners (cleverly advertised right by the style I'm sure) and get crispin' woman!

Joking, your hair is lovely and shiney as it is!

Elbereth
April 8th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Hear, hear! Your hair isn't hot unless it's sizzling in the grip of a flat iron.:p

The little tight bunned mean lady in me is glad to see some properly parted sleek hair and nice neat buns though...:D