PDA

View Full Version : Bpal?

GlennaGirl
April 7th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I hope I have the right board for this. I can't remember where I've seen it, but I do keep seeing it. What's the deal with these scents? What makes them special? What's your favorite one? I've been thinking of trying one or two.

manderly
April 7th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Here is their site: http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/

Essentially they are very strong, long lasting, and literary, historical, whimsical, sultry, ephereal scents. You'll get lost in the site reading the excerpts from tales and the ingredients that go along with the names they come up with :)

They are fantastic.

Here's the LHC thread on them: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=453&highlight=bpal

Being such complicated scents, they are very tricky to find your happy ones. I've gone through 2 sample sets of 6 imps (and they always threw in an extra 2) so I've tried a total of 16 scents. Of that, I've purchased one full size, and I have 2 or 3 other imps that I enjoy quite a bit and may purchase fullsized imps in the future. :D It's an expensive addiction.

Heavenly Locks
April 7th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'd love to try some...but it's hard for me to decide what to pick when I can't smell them in person. Any tips?

IndigoInk
April 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I love BPAL. I have a box on my vanity that is full of BPAL. I'm actually plotting an order right now...haven't done one in awhile.

My favourites so far are Snow White, Eos, Aeval, Bewitched, Hetairae, The Hesperides, March Hare, and Milk Moon.

I was concerned about ordering without sniffing but what I do is use the search function to find scents with notes I know I like...Jasmine, Honey, Apple, etc... Also if you hate it it's pretty easy to sell or trade it to someone else. They also always include some extra imps which have helped me to try scents I might have otherwise ignored (Bewitched)

melrose1985
April 7th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Do you find this the scents last a long time on the skin? I always feel like i'm re-applying perfume.

Unofficial_Rose
April 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Do you find this the scents last a long time on the skin? I always feel like i'm re-applying perfume.

I find they are very variable. Some last all day (Snake Oil) others fade quite quickly (Privelege). There's nothing quite like BPAL, although I'm still looking for my ideal scent. It does kind of spoil you for commercial perfumes though - mine seemed very synthetic after BPAL. Some are lovely, some are unwearable (apparently it depends on skin chemistry as well as personal taste)

Leisje
April 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Ohhh BPAL, I do love their scents! I have, I think 10 Imps so far that I've tried. And of these I only favour 4, and only love 2 of them. So it can be quite tricky to find something that works on your skin.
That being said, it is completely worth the time and money to find a gorgeous scent you love. Because you will not find anything like it anywhere else.
Plus, I can't wear normal perfumes because all I smell in them in alcohol. BPAL doesn't use alcohol, so all you get is the scent!

Actually, I think I want to make another order soon. Oh dear! I'm enabled now.

GlennaGirl
April 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks, everyone!

I do know a few notes that I like. I like musk...I like sweet pea...I'll search around...will probably order some imps!

Great. Another addiction to pander to. :p

melrose1985
April 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
There are so many to look at.... Where do you even start?

Shermie Girl
April 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I love BPAL, too. My faves, so far are: Moon Rose, Antique Lace, Bliss, Dirty and Snake Oil. I am really into Snake Oil, right now. It is a gorgeous, delicious fragrance. And it is long-lasting. I can put BPAL on in the morning and still smell it in the evening or even the next morning. :D

IndigoInk
April 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I find them all to be very long lasting. I am wearing Dormouse today which is quite light and delicate and I can still smell it on my wrists this afternoon. I will probably still be able to smell it until I take a shower tomorrow morning.

GlennaGirl
April 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Sitting on hands...PayPal...empty...must...not...buy......... .....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (giving up, allowing fingers to twitch madly all over BPAL site and descriptions)

Sokudo Ningyou
April 7th, 2009, 04:30 PM
For those of you wondering what scents they have, I have General Catalogue (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pnzvcRvjLYu-gWwBlN66JOg) and Neil Gaiman (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pnzvcRvjLYu8Uk-g-4bkHJA) scent spreadsheets you can look at. (My LE is nowhere near done. Yeep.) You can ignore the notes, obviously, since they function as my wishlists.

RavennaNight
April 8th, 2009, 06:32 AM
So you can use this in hair? How? I would love to learn. Just as a hair oil? I just ordered my first ever set of imps! I hope I like em!

Loviatar
April 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I sometimes add BPAL to coconut oil and mist it onto damp hair. The scent sometimes even lasts AFTER a shampoo. Especially if I use a lightly scented wash like Dairy Whip white ginger or Tresemme shampoo.

Katla
April 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM
For those of you wondering what scents they have, I have General Catalogue (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pnzvcRvjLYu-gWwBlN66JOg) and Neil Gaiman (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pnzvcRvjLYu8Uk-g-4bkHJA) scent spreadsheets you can look at. (My LE is nowhere near done. Yeep.) You can ignore the notes, obviously, since they function as my wishlists.

Awesome :D Thank you. I have the attention span of a three-year-old on sugar high when it comes to clicking and scrolling through descriptions, so while I've been curious about the scents they have, I usually give up after scrolling through a couple of categories on their site. Spreadsheets for the win!

IndigoInk
April 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I sometimes add BPAL to coconut oil and mist it onto damp hair. The scent sometimes even lasts AFTER a shampoo. Especially if I use a lightly scented wash like Dairy Whip white ginger or Tresemme shampoo.

You can add it in places where you would add EOs for scent in most cases. I asked on the Kimberlily's De-frizz thread if anyone had added BPAL to it and Kimberlily said she had (Jalbait! Yum) I am picking up some jojoba today to try this with.

DarleneH
April 8th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I've used them in mists, and dabbing some on fingertips and running fingers thru your hair. They work fantastic for that.

RavennaNight
April 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Aaah! Thanks Loviatar indigoink and DarleneH. I am really excited about my imps! How long does it usually take for them to arrive? I read some conflicting things on that massive BPAL thread. It can take a few weeks?

Angellen
April 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
2-3 weeks at least, in my experience.

I have purchased twice from them and probably a half dozen times on the swap board. :p After BPAL, commercial scents just don't do it for me anymore! I have one rose perfume I still wear from time to time, but it definitely smells a bit synthetic to me now. It really is hard to know which ones will work on you and which won't. Some I hate in the bottle but smell lovely on me, and others I love but fade quickly :cry: and even more that I just don't care for on myself. Keep in mind that yours body chemistry is unique so there's no guarantee that a certain scent will work for you.

Thanks, Sokudo Ningyou! That's very helpful.

This thread reminds me I need to clear out my BPAL hoard.

metal_sugar
April 9th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Maybe I should think about clearing out my BPAL stash as well. I have twenty something bottles and who knows how many imps. Many of them aged into perfection.

IndigoInk
April 9th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I know what you all mean about commercial scents just not being the same after BPAL. I asked my husband the other day why his boss smelled like he'd been drinking and he laughed and said it was his cheap cologne :)

I really want to order now!! I need a bottle of Bewitched I think, my imp is empty :( I'm trying to decide what to use in my bottle of De-Frizz spray.

Sokudo Ningyou
April 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Since it's a work in progress (and always will be), here's my LE spreadsheet (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pnzvcRvjLYu8KJ5UISl50dw) as well. I mean, yeah, it's nowhere near done. But it never truly will be, since they come out with LEs as often as the wind blows. :p

Patrycja
April 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I'm slathered in Belladonna right now...its one of my all-time favorites. I've mixed patchuli EO with Lust bpal and it was very nice.Made it lustier :lol:

manderly
April 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
My favorite way to wear BPAL is slathered over me with coconut oil after stepping out of the shower. It gives my whole body a wonder "aura" of luscious scent :D