PDA

View Full Version : Is Monistat drying?

marla
April 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
OK I read the whole monistat thread but I can't remember whether this issue has been raised. I recently switched from a diluted mixture to applying it straight, at the roots. Has anyone noticed that their hair is dryer from using it? It's really impossible to get it to stay only on the roots and even if it were, today's roots are tomorrow's length.... I have really dry hair to begin with so this is a concern.

DragonLady
April 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I use it diluted, and try to keep it on my scalp only. I haven't noticed it drying my hair or my scalp.

charlotte meve
April 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Does Monistat really work? Have you noticed a significant change in growth? I'm curious.

marla
April 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have noticed an increase in growth. It's hard for me to measure because my hair is wavy. But it looks longer and feels heavier on my shoulders. But increased growth is not worth it to me if my hair is going to be dried out, because then I'm going to have to cut it off anyway.

smilinjenn71
April 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I have been using it off and on (more on of late) and haven't noticed any drying issues.

marialena
April 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry for the slightly off topic post but I read here and there a lot about this "treatment" with Monistat and I have a query.
Monistat IS supposed to be a medicine for fungal infections. And as it is in a cream form, one of its basic properties is that can be absorbed from the skin ( and get into your body, that's why we can see this side effect that makes hair grown).

But...
Have you ever think what is going to happen if some of those who use in such quantities this Monistat creme, in order to grow their hair, has an fungal infection?
Nothing is going to stop it because their bodies will get used of the medicine.

Have you ever seen big fungal infections?

Have a look here.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=fungus%20infection&cts=1239066697306&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

What's my point? I wouldn't say to someone who lost his/her hair not to use it, but I think that using a medicine like this, in healthy hair and healthy skin in such quantities and so often, it is at least dangerous.

This thing is not a cosmetic. Is a medicine and medicines must be used rarely and with great care, something that I really don't see happen here.

End of off topic post.. With all the respect and friendly feelings I have for you, just think a little bit about it.

marla
April 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I appreciate your concern but I don't think any of us plan on using it indefinitely. Rather, just until we get the desired length. If it works as well as claimed, for most of us that would be a few months at best.

Darian Moone
April 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Marialena, thanks for voicing your concerns. :flower: I am considering using a bit on Monistat on my temples to thicken them up a bit (they've always been on what I consider the thinner side). I've read the current Monistat thread as well as the one on the old board. Several LHC'ers have asked their doctors about using Monistat for hair growth and have been told it was okay to do so and did not issue any warnings (at least none that the posters reported).

Personally I'm still on the fence about the whole thing and do worry about some of the things you have brought up. Most only use it for a short period of time though. I'd be more concerned if it were being used for months and months without any breaks.

Just my opinion though. ;)

marialena
April 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I appreciate your concern but I don't think any of us plan on using it indefinitely. Rather, just until we get the desired length. If it works as well as claimed, for most of us that would be a few months at best.

Yes but you wouldn't use a medicine for a few months ..Am I right?? ( unless if you were in a hospital very ill .. But even terminal ill patients stop taking medicines after a period of time because the medicines don't do anything after a while).
I'm not a doctor, but is well known that all kind of medicines end up to our kidneys and liver as well . Those two basic organs dilute any kind of substance that we eat, drink or put in our skin ( because skin can absorb substances as well - sorry if my English does not help me in medical terms).
Anyway... Miconazole nitrate is a substance that kills fungus. And if this thing can kill fungus that are so resistant to treatments, that means that is a very strong chemical which in the end through our skin goes to liver and kidneys.

But even if this looks like a very science fiction probability, using Monistat so frequently just make yourself less resistant to this kind of fungal infections.

Do you really think that in order to have long hair worths to have this kind of medical implications?

marla
April 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Again, you have a point, and we are all taking a risk. But numerous members have asked their physicians if it is safe, and to my knowledge, no one has reported that this was categorically a bad idea. The history of medicine is filled with examples of experimentation, and in a sense, we are all pioneers. I would also add that miconazole for hair growth has been around for several years, and if there were dire after-effects, I think we'd be able to find such on the internet.

marialena
April 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
[..] Several LHC'ers have asked their doctors about using Monistat for hair growth and have been told it was okay to do so and did not issue any warnings (at least none that the posters reported).

[..]

And what makes you think that the doctors care about this matters my dear Darian Moone?
If this medicine does not give obvious and in sort time problems is not something that they will care about. But who tells you that this medicine will not destroy your immune system.
Don't go far.. for years and years doctors used to prescribe antibiotics for the slightest infection. And now we have problem with these super bugs that you can very easily get in a hospital.
I don't know girls .. it is your choice to do what you want with your body, but I don't think that using medicines like cosmetics and with such ease, is going to bring something good.
We can be the same beautiful even with sort hair ( beauty comes from inside.. don't forget that) and I think it has double worth to get your hair grow long with a natural way.

Darian Moone
April 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Sweetie I think I'm not understanding exactly what you're saying to me, so I'm going to assume you are using a friendly tone with me. (It's not coming across that way, but I think we may just be having trouble communicating.) :flower:

1. I simply reported what others here on the boards have said their doctors have told them.

2. I did not give my endorsement to anything, I am simply reporting what others have stated.

3. Doctors typically are worried about lawsuits in the US and don't tell a patient it is okay to use something when it is not. If it turns out badly down the road, they can definitely be sued.

Perhaps it would be of benefit for you to read the entire thread on Monistat and then come to your own conclusions. :flower:

DragonLady
April 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry for the slightly off topic post but I read here and there a lot about this "treatment" with Monistat and I have a query.
Monistat IS supposed to be a medicine for fungal infections. And as it is in a cream form, one of its basic properties is that can be absorbed from the skin ( and get into your body, that's why we can see this side effect that makes hair grown).

But...
Have you ever think what is going to happen if some of those who use in such quantities this Monistat creme, in order to grow their hair, has an fungal infection?
Nothing is going to stop it because their bodies will get used of the medicine.

Have you ever seen big fungal infections?

Have a look here.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=fungus%20infection&cts=1239066697306&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

What's my point? I wouldn't say to someone who lost his/her hair not to use it, but I think that using a medicine like this, in healthy hair and healthy skin in such quantities and so often, it is at least dangerous.

This thing is not a cosmetic. Is a medicine and medicines must be used rarely and with great care, something that I really don't see happen here.

End of off topic post.. With all the respect and friendly feelings I have for you, just think a little bit about it.

Good points. And I considered them all very carefully before I began using it.

Monistat is indicated for repeated vaginal fungal infections "If you think you have a yeast infection call your doctor. If you know you have one, there's Monistat." To me, this says that those with recurring fungal (yeast) infections will still see the benefits of Monistat, and that it doesn't cause so-called "superbugs" if it's used within reason.

I have been using it in three-month cycles. That is, use it three times a week for three months, then take a month off. This last time, I've decided to go on using it to see if I see even more growth than I have been. It seems that I get good growth that third month, but then it takes time for it start working well again after I take a break. We shall see....

Either way, I made my decision very carefully, and will continue to monitor my own health. In no way would I consider the company that makes it, this board or it's members or any doctor to be responsible if I have some kind of adverse reaction from using it. I'm taking the chance, and I take full -and sole- responsibility for whatever happens.

I urge everyone else who considers it to decide the same. Research for yourself, decide for yourself, then cheerfully live with any consequences if they should arise.

smilinjenn71
April 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
"Either way, I made my decision very carefully, and will continue to monitor my own health. In no way would I consider the company that makes it, this board or it's members or any doctor to be responsible if I have some kind of adverse reaction from using it. I'm taking the chance, and I take full -and sole- responsibility for whatever happens.

I urge everyone else who considers it to decide the same. Research for yourself, decide for yourself, then cheerfully live with any consequences if they should arise."

Ditto!:wink:

marialena
April 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Sweetie I think I'm not understanding exactly what you're saying to me, so I'm going to assume you are using a friendly tone with me. (It's not coming across that way, but I think we may just be having trouble communicating.) :flower:

(Another misunderstanding due inadequate use of English language by myself.. I told you that girls, but you didn't believe me! )
I really really used a friendly tone to you, that's why I called you dear. ( but I guess it heard somehow different.. but I really don't know how because I thought that dear is a "good" word - or isn't :confused: don't know any more... :()
Believe me I wanted to give a friendly tone to that I wrote.

1. I simply reported what others here on the boards have said their doctors have told them.

And I answered to you that probably they don't care ( the doctors) enough so they may give advices just like that.

2. I did not give my endorsement to anything, I am simply reporting what others have stated.

For the others I am speaking as well. I don't refer personally to you. When I say "you" I mean it generally.

( in Greek language we have a different word for the "you" that speaks for one person and the "you" that is for more persons. That's why the Greek is Greek for you ( all of you) and ΜΥ English incomprehensible for you as well ( all of you)! :lol: ( and that was a joke in order you didn't get it -all of you again and not just Darian):)

3. Doctors typically are worried about lawsuits in the US and don't tell a patient it is okay to use something when it is not. If it turns out badly down the road, they can definitely be sued.

Perhaps it would be of benefit for you to read the entire thread on Monistat and then come to your own conclusions. :flower:

I'm not sure that all these people that use Monistat have asked their doctors and of course not all the users of Monistat who asked their doctors live in US.

I have read the whole Monistat thread ( and it took me hours to do so) and the thing that I saw is that lot of users try Monistat because they read what they read in this thread.

Anyway .. I don't want to tell you what to do. Every one is responsible for his actions. ( and the doctors as well but not because someone can sue them but because they are doctors who must care about the public health).

The matter is about health and not about laws.

Hairtada
April 6th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I would use Nizoral shampoo if I needed to for as long as I needed to...some people use that on doctors orders for life ...Monistat is not much different. Just a different anti-fungal.Both "zoles". I am not worried at all about it.There are many other anti-fungals to use if needed for a fungal infection. I tend to be prone to them in the summer so maybe this summer I'll find out I've been doing something bad...I'll wait and see!I am really not worried.
Since I am using it not for length growth but thickening up my hair [I have thinning hair due to getting past menopause and thyroid issues] I will use it as long as I can- but not daily.I'll use it my whole life if I have to to keep my hair!!! Hopefully it will not make my hair all fall out someday but that's a chance I am willing to take right now.

My doctor does not see a problem with me using it.I do dilute it and use it a few times a week.It has been working great for my purposes.My hair is not dry from it but it would be hard to tell since my hair is dry anyway.

marialena it is really nice to see your genuine concern for others. I do appreciate it....also you have lovely hair!! :)

RancheroTheBee
April 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I would use Nizoral shampoo if I needed to for as long as I needed to...some people use that on doctors orders for life ...Monistat is not much different. Just a different anti-fungal.Both "zoles". I am not worried at all about it.There are many other anti-fungals to use if needed for a fungal infection. I tend to be prone to them in the summer so maybe this summer I'll find out I've been doing something bad...I'll wait and see!I am really not worried.
Since I am using it not for length growth but thickening up my hair [I have thinning hair due to getting past menopause and thyroid issues] I will use it as long as I can- but not daily.I'll use it my whole life if I have to to keep my hair!!! Hopefully it will not make my hair all fall out someday but that's a chance I am willing to take right now.

My doctor does not see a problem with me using it.I do dilute it and use it a few times a week.It has been working great for my purposes.My hair is not dry from it but it would be hard to tell since my hair is dry anyway.

marialena it is really nice to see your genuine concern for others. I do appreciate it....also you have lovely hair!! :)

Just a note: I've been told by people who used Nizoral for scalp infections that Monistat works better for clearing up itchy, dry scalp. So, to all those who want to use Monistat for something other than hair growth, check with your doctor first, but it may really help.

Anywho, to Hairtada: MN can cause shedding after you stop using it. Maybe you want to try a patch test on a small section of hair?

Hairtada
April 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
RancheroTheBee,Perhaps I'll have to never stop using it?! I have read about the possible shedding but apparently it does stop and you do not lose all you gained. I may never stop to find out. My hair was really thinning on top and now looks a lot better. I've used MN for about 6 months now. I have stopped for a week or so and do that occasionally for a scalp break and so far its ok.
It IS an experiment, I know that. I am prepared for the consequences.
I do use oils and other things too.I am a work in progress.:)

Honestly, I was so upset,so depressed, about my hair loss that it was worth the chance of a shed or some other bad thing to me. I would not recommend anyone else try it without giving good consideration to any possible consequences.

I'll use your suggestion of patch test if I decide to stop using it though...good idea!

RancheroTheBee
April 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM
RancheroTheBee,Perhaps I'll have to never stop using it?! I have read about the possible shedding but apparently it does stop and you do not lose all you gained. I may never stop to find out. My hair was really thinning on top and now looks a lot better. I've used MN for about four months now. I have stopped for a week or so and do that occasionally for a scalp break and so far its ok.
It IS an experiment, I know that. I am prepared for the consequences.
I do use oils and other things too.I am a work in progress.:)

Honestly, I was so upset,so depressed, about my hair loss that it was worth the chance of a shed or some other bad thing to me. I would not recommend anyone else try it without giving good consideration to any possible consequences.

I'll use your suggestion of patch test if I decide to stop using it though...good idea!

No, you definitely wouldn't lose everything you gained. From what I understand, it has the effect of slowing down hair shedding, and then when the drug is discontinued, the hair is released. You would shed normally, but at weird times.

That said, I might suggest taking longer breaks. No-one knows the effect of using MN for extended periods of time, so with your history of hair loss, you may want to take it easy.

Hairtada
April 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM
RancheroTheBee,I am planning on doing just that in time.I have tapered off.I dilute mine quite a lot so its not like I am rubbing pure MN on my head. I really think its fine. I have discussed it with my doctor and truly think if one can use Nizoral all the time I see little difference in using a dilute MN three times a week or so with breaks. They are both in the same family of drug.I do monitor my head.:) My husband was given a prescription for ketoconazole cream a couple years ago[another in the same family and prescription strength!] and told to use it twice a day for as long as needed [on his head too come to think of it!] he used it for months to clear up his problem. Still uses it sometimes.Based on my own critical thinking I chose not to worry because worry causes my hair to fall out!!:)
I do appreciate the concern.:)

I'll be certain to let everyone know if I get any bad reactions!! Someone has to be the experimenter.

hanne jensen
April 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I use a 2% mn cream every other day and I am very happy with the results. I have a growth rate of 1 cm. per week. Averagege growth is 1.2 cm per month. My hair isn't drier than usual. I plan on using mn for the nezt 6 months and then take a 3 month pause. I have had no ill side effects with my health or my hair. I have just had full blood work done, and all my organs are functioning normally. Nothing strange in my blood.

Gothic Lolita
April 7th, 2009, 01:01 AM
The only bad side effect form MN I've heard of was the increased shedding. But members found a solution for this and just decreased the amount of MN slowly than just stopping it altogether at once.

Since MN is not an antibiotic, I don't believe someone could raise with the frequent use a superbaceterium that is impossible to kill. Firstly because of the piont I just made and secondly because a fungus infection is treated with fungicide not with antibiotics. I've looked it up and haven't found a mentioning of fungus infections that weren't able to be treated anymore because the patient had used fungicides repeatedly.
What I could imagine is some sort of addiction of the body towards the MN and that one had to increase the dosis to keep up the effects. I followed the old MN thread in the now archieved forums closely and also read the new one and haven't found a mentioning. But I think this would be possible.

I believe few of our members take the MN for over 2 years now and keep us updated if the notice any strange side effects. If one has a serious problem I'd ask them because the original idea wasn't from LHC but from another forum. Maybe the members are still in contact with the other board and could to further research there.

charlotte meve
April 7th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I'm still on the fence about it. Theres so much much to consider.

Gothic Lolita
April 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I think you should think about taking it or not, like you should with everything. One can't deny that it is, after all, a medicine. Although no harmful effects have been reported (read: lasting) and still think carefully about it.
For me, it's okay. I do not use it regularly and never planned to.

marialena
April 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Hi Hairtada,
I want to thank you first of all for your sweet compliments. You are very kind and thank you very much..:o

I have to repeat that is completely different thing to use a drug for medical reasons, after your physicians advice and for treatment to a problem that you have and completely different to use it without medical advice, just for cosmetics reasons and because you read about it in the internet.

I really don't think that all the users of this forum are adults and I'm sure that all these that use this medicine had not got an advice previously by their physicians.

If I had a daughter who impressed by the reviews of the Monistat thread used to use this medicine as a cosmetic, I'm sure that I would had problem.

And let's think the whole story from another view. What is going to happen if a teenage girl using this Monistat cream has ( let's say that, is an hypothetical question) a serious allergic reaction.
Who is going to blame? Against whom her parents is going to turn?

To this forum of course. Let's say that the adult users of these forum take the responsibility of their actions, what about the other that are not in the right age ( typically) to take such responsibilities?

And something else. There's not a single warning in the Monistat thread to say that this treatment is experimental, empirical someway and surely unofficial.
Do the moderators/administrators of this forum have any sense of what kind of responsibility they undertake having a thread like this open for 20000+ members, whose age don't know??

DragonLady
April 7th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Do the moderators/administrators of this forum have any sense of what kind of responsibility they undertake having a thread like this open for 20000+ members, whose age don't know??

Moderators and forum administrators bear NO legal responsibility for either the words or actions of the membership, unless they've changed those words through editing.

That said, a short warning might be a good idea, just so everyone does understand that much of what is recommended here is experiemental in nature.

Gothic Lolita
April 8th, 2009, 07:07 AM
The original thread made clear that the whole thing was experimental, the article also gives a warning (although admittedly nothing about an allergic reaction, that's true).

But everywhere it says that you should patch test beforehand, if you notice anything strange, stop application at once and in genreal you should be careful with this. The moderators have no legal responsibilty for our members, that's also written somewhere, I believe in the Terms of use.

mira-chan
April 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Toxicity is one thing but I can comment on the super bug thing. This applies to antibiotics too. Super bugs are produced when you don't take the full course of the antibiotics. For example you are told to take it for 14 days and you feel fine after 8 day. Never stop taking them then because there are still bacterial living and they are the ones more likely to become resistant. If keep taking it, these should be cleared from your system so there are no living pathogens that will multiply to become resistant. Over use of antibiotics is not something I'd encourage either.

This applies to fungisides too. That's why many are told to use Nizoral for life or till the issue is completely cleared up. If you use it on and off, you are giving a chance for the survivors to become resistant, giving them a recuperation time of sorts. If you are using Monistat, I'd be more likely to recommend continuous treatment and not one with breaks, especially if there is an actual scalp problem.

- Microbiologist opinion.

I do not use monistat but I do use an elemental sulfur oil solution at a relatively high concentration for scalp problems that I mixed. This is also not something I'd recommend doing without putting in some research and having understanding of the chemicals involved.

Gothic Lolita
April 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Mira-chan, that's intersting. I was researching if using fungicides in a wrong way could cause a super fungus resistant to everything and couldn't find something. Only the same old story about antibiotics.
It would be better if we knew how the Monistat actually works, if it's killing some growth-inhibiting fungus on the scalp or effects the cuticle itself. If it was a fungus, then we should be more careful about the use, it would be likely to raise something resistant. If it works on the cuticle, it would be nice to know if an addiction can build up and why some people can get headaches at first and then build a tolerance against it.

Morningglory
April 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
:hifive: I agree with Marialena.

Well, everyones doctors said it was okay to take antibiotics over the past several decades and it was overused. Now we have MRSA a resistant bacteria that does not respond to antibiotics and it causes horrible boils and is one of the main causes of death in hospitals!

I feel that it is to big of a risk to try it myself.

mira-chan
April 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Mira-chan, that's intersting. I was researching if using fungicides in a wrong way could cause a super fungus resistant to everything and couldn't find something. Only the same old story about antibiotics.
It would be better if we knew how the Monistat actually works, if it's killing some growth-inhibiting fungus on the scalp or effects the cuticle itself. If it was a fungus, then we should be more careful about the use, it would be likely to raise something resistant. If it works on the cuticle, it would be nice to know if an addiction can build up and why some people can get headaches at first and then build a tolerance against it.
Different antifungals work differently.

Miconazole (monistat) inhibits the production of ergosterol, which is the fungal version of cholesterol, an essential component of the fungal cell membranes. it provides rigidity and stability to the membrane. Without it the fungus essentially collapses on itself and cell membranes for new cells cannot form without it. Thus miconazole will not do anything to human cells as they do not have or need ergosterol.

DragonLady
April 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
If you are using Monistat, I'd be more likely to recommend continuous treatment and not one with breaks, especially if there is an actual scalp problem.

I don't have any scalp problems. But when I use Monistat, I do get extra growth. I've been using it in three-month cycles, giving myself a break every fourth month to avoid any potential problems with it accumulating in my body.

But if it would be better to use it continuously 'till I reach my goal, that's not a problem to me. I was already planning to use it straight through at least one more month at a time because it seems to take a few weeks to start getting the extra growth. That is, of my three month cycle, the second month is better than the first, and the third is better than the second. And it halts for the month when I quit using it. I've taken very careful measurements, and am sure this is the case, although I don't think anyone else has reported those kinds of results.

I don't think I have any kind of fungal infection. Rather, I believe the Monistat has some DHT blocking properties like Rogaine, and that when I quit use my body just readjusts and cranks out the same amount of DHT it did before.

charlotte meve
April 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
definitely HIP!