PDA

View Full Version : Need help on how to do a "messy bun"

curls2grow
April 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Cross-posting this, in case non-curly-wurlies have suggestions, too.

Can anyone tell me how to get a "messy bun" look? My bun always ends up with my hair pulled back tightly and my bun is this tight little doorknob-looking thing. I would like it to be more casual and less severe-looking, but I can't get that look. My 3b hair is shoulder-length when dry, thin (2" ponytail circumference) and medium-fine texture, so I don't have a lot of hair to play with. If I wrap the bun too loosely, I can't get enough leverage to get a hairstick to stay in. I appreciate any tips on how to do this.

manderly
April 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, you may have a harder time until you get more length.

I would suggest until then that you anchor your hair with several good day hairpins and then just decorate with the stick. When your hai is longer, what I do is bunch my hair up like I'm prepping a cinnabun and don't fingercomb at all. I just loosely wrtap my big ball of hair

Tyrinaniel
April 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hah, I've given up on a messy bun for myself. Instead of looking messy, it just looks like I fell a sleep on a nicely made bun.

Curlsgirl
April 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I have NEVER been able to do a proper messy bun either. I always thought it was because my hair is curly and thick. It just sticks out there like a big lump and looks stupid. I am curious to see if there are any hints. My stepdaughter tried to help me and I did it the same way she does and it looked weird on me. But she has thin, straight hair. I think that type looks better with a messy bun. It just seems to fall the way it should better.

Curlsgirl
April 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
deleted sorry

spidermom
April 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Slap it up while you're concentrating on something else - as fast as you can and without much thought. That's when I get my best buns.

Elphie
April 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
My best messy buns are when I put my hair up before taking a shower. All the little pieces that fall out and get damp, curl a bit and it looks untidy. Works for me!

CaraLynn
April 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
What I do when my hair is curly is put it up in a ponytail, then gather the tail in my hand and kind of smoosh it onto the ponytail holder...then wrap another one around it. I'm sorry if that makes no sense....it's kind of hard to describe I guess. If you want me to I can take pictures of it for you. It always turns out great...I get lots of compliments on my "perfect messy bun" :D when I wear it that way.

darkwaves
April 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I still sometimes do this using a soft "elastic" -- I have some that are woven, no seams.

What I've done since APL or so is to pull the hair through once (at the base of a ponytail), and then again to catch a twist of it -- between the one third/two third part of the length. So there are lots of curl in the final loose third. Then just squash that back and pin where you like it with hair sticks.

Sounds way more complicated than it is! I used to wear my hair with a scrunchie like that to sleep (sort of like how CaraLynn describes, minus the hair sticks), and realized it looked good when squashed in place. Because it's held with a pony tail holder, it's easier to use hair sticks, because you can weave them through the holder, too.

If you log in with a different browser, you should be able to see this post (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=794573&postcount=160), where I tried to explain this on the old forum... Or, search the old forum for threads posted by me -- there's one about messy buns, with a few ideas.

Rini
April 7th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I am an expert on messy buns I think :D Mine RARELY look neat!

Here's what I do: make the bun as you normally would, but instead of continuing with it, just stop at the top with a few inches left out. Secure the bun however you normally do (I'm preferring hair screws right now) and then arrange the curls over and around the bun with bobby pins. The other way I do it, is to do a french twist starting at my nape and then don't tuck the ends into the fold, but leave them out and pin as before. Happily, my hair is getting a bit long for the french twist method, but the other method is working fine :)

Hope that helps you! Your curls are soooooo beautiful :inlove:

curls2grow
April 7th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to try those. I hope I have enough length to pull them off, as you describe.

CaraLynn, yes, it would be really helpful if you could post pics (maybe in this thread, or a link to your pics in this thread) so that if there are any other messy-bun-challenged people like me, we can refer to them.

darkwaves, thanks for the suggestion but I've just about given up on referring back to old LHC for anything unfortunately. I can't figure out how to consistently get into the old site to read posts when I need them.

CaraLynn
April 7th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Okay, will do later today.

Stevy
April 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I'm not very good at messy buns - my hair naturally gravitates towards 'I have a job interview' sort of buns - but one thing I've found helps look more casual is to try a wrapped style rather than anything that involves twisting the hair.

curls2grow
April 7th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Good suggestion, Stevy. I got home from work and my hair was on the moppish side. So I took the length and just started doing the "I'm gonna make a bun" motions without doing the twisting of my hair first. It's fluffy and not very neat looking, but I think that's what I was hoping for. And it makes me look like like I have more hair which is total :cheese: for me.

BTW, the Good Hair Days pins really helped, so thanks for that hint, manderly. Maybe If I play around with my Amish pins that would be even better but those slide out from even my tight doorknob-looking buns. Then I can try to get a hairstick to hang out in there all day.

lacereza
April 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM